RWs are not stupid; it's much worse than that

Oops, thanks.

Ir does seem to me, though, that the studies on which Mooney is relying are limited by a bipolar approach. There are more than two sides here, and if they’re different kinds of people, then there are more than two different kinds of people, politically/psychologically speaking. If we have one set of psychological generalizations applicable to (what is usually meant by the word) conservatives, and another applicable to (wiumbtw) liberals, then I doubt either set of generalizations would apply to libertarians or communists or fascists; each of those sets – I expect – would have its own very different psychology. I hope that will be studied in the future.

Here’s a RW response to Mooney’s book, from Jonah Goldberg.

From an In These Times interview with Mooney:

The articdle Political conservatism as motivated social cognition is a good read.

But Right Wing Authoritarianism is correlated with dogmatism, so I don’t see why this would be surprising. In the US the RWA’ans have overtaken the conservative movement, pushing out the libertarians and more moderate GOPers. Goldwater was offended by the 90s GOP, which was fairly moderate compared to todays.

Well, then you would be a liberal for whom my examples don’t apply.

As I would contend I am not a conservative to which the OP’s examples apply.

Prove it wrong, then. Show us somewhere where your opinion on a political issue has changed due to the revelation of new facts.

Because that’s all the OP asserts–that conservatives will not listen to liberals when they present fact after fact–that a conservative just doesn’t think that way.

As for me, I think there is a different way people think, but I don’t think it clearly lines up with right wing vs. left wing. It’s just all about how well you accept things that differ from your preconceived notions–how resistant you are to change. Someone with a “conservative” mindset who grew up with American liberal teachings would cling as much to that ideology.

The fearful thing sure doens’t hold up, as I’m fearful but also liberal. I may have thought I was a conservative, but I’m not.

On the contrary, the fact that one can’t tell whether it’s a joke says a lot.

Wait until they die. A great many people will never change their mind no matter the evidence, and can only be dealt with by enduring them until they die and are replaced by equally inflexible people with a more advanced set of inflexible dogma. Who in turn need to be waited out by the progressives of their generation.

Well, I’ve never before heard of Poe’s Law (Conservapedia has something to say about that, too, and it ain’t no parody) being manifested in something as elaborate as an alternative theory of physics. Not that this couldn’t be the first time.

(Honestly, I think most of the Christian Right Wing are not actually conservative, save for on the issues of abortion and homosexuality… And my opinions on both of those have changed–I’m moderate on the first, and completely left-wing on the other.)

That is a good point. Conservative and liberal are relative and ever-changing terms. There are plenty of old school 70’s hippie types still around who are remarkably impervious to new facts as well. That applies to holdovers from any philosophy or political orientation including some radical leftist ones yet they are quite ‘conservative’ by at least one dictionary definition of the term. If there is such an innate mindset, you may just see it more often in older right wing people today because larger numbers of them were raised that way but that doesn’t have anything to do with the merits of the different general political orientations in today’s terms.

Well . . . here’s a somewhat contrary view from The Right Nation: Conservative Power in America, by conservative British journalists John Micklethwait and Adrian Wooldridge:

For my part, I used to be anti-nuke like any good environmentalist, but my brother, who an engineer (and a self-ID’d “radical libertarian”) convinced me the plants are safe and clean with today’s technology. Which is something I really want to believe, because I don’t want every single drop of oil and lump of coal and cubic yard of natural gas remaining in the Earth’s crust to be pumped out or dug up and burned to release its CO2 into the atmosphere; nor do I want this wonderful industrial civilization to collapse for lack of a power supply (no, small ain’t beautiful); there’s got to be a third option. (I might have to re-evaluate yet again in light of Fukushima . . .)

Here’s the thing: Partisans, whatever the slant, are more likely to believe something negative about the other side without examining it critically. We see it here all the time. Studies even back that up:

Link.

I’m sure the OP does not need to be reminded of the large number of Democrats who thought Bush knew about the 9/11 attacks in advance. If not, it’s in the same link. Or, the persistent belief that Citizens United somehow created the idea of corporate personhood. Or that we need to “eliminate corporate personhood”. Or that GW Bush had a fake Texas accent.

What the thing RWers have “going” for them is an entire media complex (mainly talk radio) devoted to feeding them misinformation. They believe it because it’s what they want to believe, and there are any number of “experts” out there telling them, with an air of authority, any number of falsehoods.

An ideology can be blind to its internal contradictions as well as facts. Take the “liberty over equality” thing from post #33’s excerpt-well that just says it all right there: if some aren’t equal to others, then they lack the freedom that these others enjoy, so it just devolves into “freedom for me, the heck with you” to maintain the facade.

Nope, can’t be bothered. An OP that poisons the well like that is unworthy of reasoned response.

People making assertions around here have to prove themselves right. No one is obligated to prove them wrong.

Sorry, thought all the Dope would know that.

“Of course, like every other man of intelligence and education I do believe in organic evolution. It surprises me that at this late date such questions should be raised.”

– Woodrow Wilson, 1922

It’s really taking longer than we thought . . .