Ryder Cup Thread predictions/updates (may contain spoilers)

I absolutely agree about the greatness of the Ryder Cup…I was fixed to the TV this afternoon.

That 18th hole is fun. a reachable par 5 with water in front. It promotes gambling. Every course should have 1 drivable par 4 and 1 reachable par 5 with big risk reward. It is fun to watch.

I couldn’t believe it on Friday.
Boo and JB were 1-up going into 18. They BOTH drove into the water!
Looked like something I might’ve done… (Yesterday, clawed back from 4 down after 11, to even after 17. PERFECT drive on 18, opponent dribbled his tee and had to lay up. I had an easy full W from the short grass, a shot I’d been nailing all day – and I SHANKED IT! AARGH!) :mad:

Garcia proving again that, in the clutch, he’s a choker.

A little bit, but Kim played some outstanding golf today.

Well done the US team, and congratulations to Paul Azinger. See you in two years time. :smiley:

I haven’t been so happy to be ridiculously wrong since the Super Bowl! Bravo, U.S. team.

I can only hope the Americans have learned a few lessons in class and sportsmanship from their European colleagues.

Anyone else think once the outcome is determined, they should end it rather than finishing out the remaining matches?
Nice win for the Americans. And more classy display than in the past. Good to see.

Vijay has next week wrapped up.

So now what do I do on Sunday afternoons until January? :stuck_out_tongue:

The BBC had interviews with Kenny Perry and Paul Azinger that were both gracious and moving. The crowd were partisan and loud, but good natured as far as I could tell. Azinger did comment though that the US fans need to learn some songs - “USA! USA! USA!” doesn’t really cut it, frankly.

Lee Westwood seems to have thrown his toys out his pram about the crowd though. The silly tit.

Again? True for the majors, not true for the Ryder Cup.

The Americans played awesome golf and made of LOT of putts - something they haven’t been doing in RC for decades.

And the big guns for Europe, Harrington/Garcia/Westwood were 2 1/2 out of a possible 10 points, not winning a match.

Yeah, I do. The losers just want to go home, and the winners just want to go off and jump around drinking champagne.

Yes - just call it as it currently stands - whoever is in the lead wins that individual match.

No - this isn’t what I meant.
Matches in progress would simply be wiped out.
As in match play, if one player is up 3 with 2 to go, it doesn’t matter how well his opponent does on 17 and 18. All that matters is winning the match, not how much you win by. And in tournaments, you don’t even have to play the remaining holes. (In my hacker’s experience, when recreational golfers pay their greens fees, more often than not they choose to play all 18 holes, whether the final couple matter or not. When playing a match for money, if the match is closed out we often will discuss setting a new bet for whatever holes remain.)

So as soon as one team wins the Ryder “match,” there is no reason to play the remaining holes.

You could do it either way. I thought it worth preserving individual records. Your way is akin to college tennis where the incomplete matches do not count at all. I think either way would be preferable to the current method.

I wonder what the players think. Playing in the Ryder Cup is a huge hono(u)r and can be the highlight of their careers for those that only make the team once or twice. Would they want to finish their match or not?