S.M. Stirling's new Emberverse novel "The Golden Princess" comes out 09/02/14

I just checked his website and it looks like Stirling has re-jiggered the series designations just a bit. He does consider the first nine books in the Emberverse series as three separate trilogies now and considers The Given Sacrifice a standalone book that is meant as a bridge between the third trilogy and the fourth.

Which is a terrible idea as The Given Sacrifice (which I just finished last night) is a mess of a book. He literally spends a dozen pages on two relatively minor characters in the third trilogy (who had been downgraded from being major characters in the first two trilogies) chatting about field reports and eating pastries. Meanwhile…

…the death of Rudi was covered in a single paragraph.

That was kind of my point. A weird castle could easily be the Disney castle, since you would be crossing the mother of all valley of death to get to it.

Another possibility is the “castle” is some fanciful building in Las Vegas. You cross Death Valley to get to Las Vegas from Los Angeles. And Las Vegas is the kind of place where some improbable work of art like the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi would end up. It’s probably in Steve Wynn’s bedroom.

BTW, it is mentioned in passing that the new capital being built for Montival, Dun na Siochana, is Salem, the long-dead capital of Oregon. I had done some thinking about where Montival’s capital should be, and Salem seemed perfect to me: No state/culture has used it since the Change for anything but salvage; the street layout is pre-automotive and therefore good for a post-Change city; it’s a smaller city than Portland, therefore at least as easily retrofittable for post-Change conditions; it is centrally located on the Willamette River, equally accessible from Larsdalen, Portland, Mt. Angel, Dun Juniper, Stardell Hall, Corvallis, all the capitals of the kingdom’s core states – perfect location for an internal trade entrepot as well as a place for all to meet for political business; and it is full of government buildings that can be retrofitted and repurposed as government buildings. I look forward to seeing what they’ll do with it.

I could definitely see that.