Sad - losing a gorgeous house, didn't appraise for asking price

Congratulations on your new place, Glory!

Because the offer is dependant on lender approval. When you make an offer on a house, it is like saying “I will pay this much if the bank will lend it to me.” And the bank won’t lend more than the house is worth. Everyone in the industry understands this, and it is even written somewhere on the official Offer. That’s why you have to get a “pre-approval” letter. This letter at least shows that there is a bank willing to lend you up to a certain amount. However, even that amount is dependant on the value of the house. The bank will give you a letter saying they will lend you $300,000. But they aren’t going to lend you that much to buy a 150,000 dollar home. And the approval letter will say such.

I have another question on this topic … what about when the public records are incorrect and you have the permits that show that the records are incorrect and the appraiser refuses to look at them??? We are in that situation right now. The public records show our home as a 3 bed /1 bath. We had the 1937 permits pulled which shows the addition of a bedroom and bathroom… making it a 3 bed/2 bath. The buyers’ mortgage broker said the difference of the additional bath on the records would put the house’s value up to the same price as the contracted price. We filed a change of Property Data request with the county as well. Now the appraiser is asking for records that the county didn’t keep track of until 1940. This is the first time we have ever sold a house and we bought our home over 12 years ago. It seems to my that it is the appraisal that has all the power … but what can you do when one doesn’t want to budge at all, even the buyers’ mortgage broker isn’t happy with this appraiser. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Good to know that you had success!

Can you complain to the mortgage company that the appraiser is OBVIOUSLY overlooking data? I mean, the appraiser could, if he set foot in the place, see that there is indeed a second bathroom, right? Or is the appraiser arguing that the second bath might not be legal so therefore can’t be counted toward the value? It really sounds like you have grounds for having that appraisal overturned.