Salem witch trials NOT because of Ergot...

Actually, belief in witches has been regarded as a leftover pagan superstition (you do know that it’s a worldwide belief as old as mankind, with no special relation to the Bible, don’t you?) for most of the history of Christianity.

I remember a Newsweek article that claimed to trace the Witch Trials to a disagreement over inheritance and the right of women to hold property. Has anyone else heard this theory?

No offense, but this seems more suited to Great Debates (if it is your intention to debate belief in witches) or to General Questions (if you are asking a factual question regarding the identification of witches).

Otherwise, though – welcome to SDMB. Enjoy your stay.

The key point that you seem to be missing is that “God” himself is commanding humans (via Moses) to kill witches. I would agree that this is likely a leftover pagan superstition - but from a believer’s point of view, this must be taken as a command from “God.” In fairness, this passage seems to be a candidate for something arbitrarily added, perhaps during the writing of the King James version of the Bible. The passage sticks out like a sore thumb. The only relevant context anywhere near it is “Thou shalt not kill” - a contradictory statement.

No.

Not particularly. The whole thing is a laundry list.

Actually, that should be translated, “Thou shalt do no murder.”

In any case, the exact meaning of the word that is translated “witch” is in doubt. The etymological sense is “poisoner”, but it is not clear whether that was its meaning at the time – and, one way or the other, “poisoner” and “witch”, culturally, are closely allied concepts.

As C. S. Lewis points out, we don’t have witch-hunts any more because we don’t believe in witches. But if we did believe in witches, i.e., in people who have made an arrangement with the Devil to gain supernatural powers in order to do harm to their neighbors, then who could possibly deserve death more than such filthy quislings?

I can’t remember my source, but I did read that the closest translation is “an evil, female spell-caster.” Even if you do believe in witches and thought they should be killed, how would you identify them? “God” in the Bible doesn’t say how to do that! And that’s why I mention it hear because the misguided folks in Salem must’ve read this particular commandment from their god and tragically felt compelled to follow it.

I can’t remember my source, but I read that the original translation is “an evil, female spell-caster” (which brings up the point - aren’t there male witches and don’t they deserve execution as well?). Even if you believe in witches and are willing to execute them as “God” commanded, how will you identify them? “God” doesn’t say how to do that in the Bible. I think it’s very likely that the misguided folks in Salem were familiar with Exodus 22:18 and tragically decided to obey their god’s commandment.

One of the people accused of witchcraft at Salem (who died after being pressed with stones after refusing to enter a plea), was a man, Giles Corey.

Further, six of the witches found guilty and executed at Salem were men: George Burroughs, John Willard, George Jacobs, Sr., John Proctor, Wilmott Redd, and Samuel Wardwell.

The WM3 have been discussed at great length here, you should take a look.

Ergotism was not really well understood until about 1820 (except by Jesus). I Googled a bit on doctors and ergotism and did not get any confidence that Salem’s doctors (if any) would have ID’d this. Do you have a source? I had shingles (something remotely similar) 15 years ago & it was properly diagnosed by my physical therapist & my doctor never acknowledged that I had shingles. Ergotism had to be much less common.

You revived an eight year old thread to ask a question of someone that hasn’t posted here for almost five years.

Jesus who? Did he live in Salem, Mass.? Was he a doctor? Researcher?

'Tis the season for zombies!

I bet even real Salem witches never raised zombies. Whether ergotic or not.

ergot zombie?

I want to raise a zombie. What do I plant?

I hear plants fight zombies.

Five of the “witches” were exonerated by the acting Mass. governor on Halloween 2001.

Ergo…