Salt drawing juices out of meat

Hungry, again. This is as bad as cooking channels!

If you want juices to stay where they are in the meat, don’t forget to let it rest after cooking.

Sir, you contradict yourself.
I am starving, cooking on the grill, and you want me to wait to eat the beautiful, rare, bleeding, luscious pink meat? Fie Sir, Fie!

He does it the way we’d expect here, for a turkey - roasting at 500 degrees, and then lowering. Combined with the “breast plate” and the brine, as I tried this year, it made for one ridiculously tender bird. :slight_smile:

ETA: The Maillard Reaction, as I understand it, draws carbs/sugars to the surface, thus creating the brown crust. Again, nothing to do with the juice, etc.

Cooks Illustrated has a great method for cooking thick-cut steaks that is similar. (I’m sure that others came up with it first, but I read about it in Cooks Illustrated.) You put the raw steaks in a low (275 F) oven for about 20 minutes, until they are just a bit below the desired final internal temperature. Then you sear them really fast in a really hot pan. It’s the opposite of the conventional wisdom, but the result is a juicy steak that is precisely the right temperature throughout. There’s no band of overcooked meat between the seared outside and the center.

But mostly I just throw steaks on the grill, which is pretty damned tasty, too.

I came in here to mention this, which I also read in Cooks Illustrated.

I tried the method from the previous thread, salting the hell out of a cheaper steak, giving it a quick rinse, and cooking it. I ended up with an incredibly salty piece of meat. What did I do wrong? Has anyone else tried it and had this problem?

I salted both sides of a huge sirloin with kosher salt for an hour, washed it off and grilled it.
Mrs. Plant loved it. One edge of mine was salty, I think I should have washed it better. Mine was tender, but I eat it rare, so I don’t believe it to be a good test.

Again with the Cooks Illustrated. I think their point was tthat the amount of salt is important. Too much and you are drawing out mosture, too little and oyu do nothing. Just the right amount, over time, will draw out some mosture which will then be drawn back into the meat.