Salted Peanuts in Soda

Never heard of the peanut thing. A friend and I once got the idea to pour some Skittles in with our beer after watching the Simpsons episode where Homer asks for that “beer with the candy in it…you know, Skittlebrau.” It takes all the color off of the Skittles and adds a fruity flavor to the beer. Not in a good way though.

I live in Texas, I have never seen this :eek: I do however like “Sixlets” candy poursed in my Coke. They are like m&m
s

My mother is from rural South Carolina and she remembers this fondly as a part of her childhood. That would have been late 1940s through late 1950s. Very far removed from south Texas, I assure you.

The first time I had it was in the 50’s, in Atlanta (which was a much different place back then). There was only one drink to use and that was a Coke (this is Atlanta, remember) and only one size: 12 oz. I mean there was only one size coke, period; in a machine, in the grocery, anywhere except if you got a fountain Coke at the drug store. You used peanuts out of the machine; small pack plain because that was all you could get. So that is how it started with a small coke and plain peanuts and the guy with the Coke bottle from fartherest away got his Coke paid for by the guy with the closest (all Cokes had a city and state on the bottom).

Another thing to look for was a Coke machine (by the way they were a nickle) that was set just a little too cold. The coke would be like slush and on a hot day it tasted great.

My papaw (yeah, we’re from Tennessee, don’t laugh or I’ll sic m’dawg on ya) owned a barbershop when I was a kid. It had one of those really old Coke machines that sold teeny little glass bottles of Coke. The old farts that hung around in the shop would stop by the newstand on the way in and buy a bag of peanuts to dump into their mini-sodas. It sounds bad, looks worse, but it’s really, really good. When I’m feeling sad, or lonely for my papaw, I make one. They had a name for it, but I can’t remember now what they called it. Try it, though. But remember: regular, salted peanuts. Coke. Nothing else will work. Anyone who tells you different is a Yankee. :wink:

Just to clarify, I’d like to add that I’m 26, so this hasn’t been that long ago. The machine in the barber shop was an antique. We still do this here regularly. I only live about 30 miles from whre I was born, but across the state line in VA. The first day of my first job (Dairy Queen) a man asked for a Coke, no ice, and salted peanuts thrown in.

And kniz, thanks for the grin…I haven’t heard anyone say “fartherest” in ages.

Perhaps she was a transplant, but BoiToi and I saw a woman do this at a grocery store in Los Angeles, California.

I’ll have to try it one of these days.

Esprix

For optimum enjoyment the Coke must be ice-cold in a GLASS bottle. Here in Northeast Texas we’ve always put peanuts in our Coke.

It’s lunchtime! Today, instead of that healthy salad I made for lunch I am having peanuts in an ice cold Cocola! Damn you all! I try to be good and all you people can do is tempt me! :smiley: You KNOW I have absolutely no willpower.

I did that as a child too, and have to back up the others about the glass bottled cokes, the taste of that super strong coke was incredible with those greasy-salty Lay’s peanuts.

I still do like the taste, but it’s not the same with Classic (tragic) Coke, but have never heard of anyone using the hot nuts tho.

Coke and peanuts or cornpone (‘unleavened’ cornbread) crumbled in cold buttermilk were my favorite childhood afterschool treats.

Damn - you all make this sound good . . . I’ll have to try this out over the weekend.

I don’t do this myself, but my stepfather (Texas/Oklahoma from way back) puts salted peanuts in Big Red soda. For those of you not from the area, the best way I can describe Big Red is that it’s red-flavored. Not cherry, not strawberry, just…red. Ick.

How DARE you insult Big Red! If you do not offer an immediate retraction, I’ll be forced to spend the weeking composing a Pit Thread about you.

I tried Big Red while visiting my dad in Texas many years ago. I thought I was dying a slow, painful death - and that was after only one sip.

Sheri

Thank you, DarkWriter. Sorry, Homebrew; just can’t stomach the stuff. I realize they may revoke my citizenship over this, but I just can’t. Hope you understand. :slight_smile:

“Passionately loyal following” indeed.

I remember where I used to live there was a little store about a mile down the two-lane road where we lived, and we’d go up there a lot and there’d always be the same few guys who would come in, crack open a glass bottle of Pepsi (yes, Pepsi, they didn’t sell Coke there, if you brought Coke in there you’d prolly get your ass lynched and burned at the stake), pour in salted peanuts, and drink. They’d spend hours just talking and drinking peanut Pepsi (I think that’s they called it). Of course, I was only 6 (almost 10 years ago), so the memory may be a little exagerrated :).

I’ve never heard of putting salted peanuts in Coke, but with Pepsi it’s damn good.

My boyfriend once told me his daddy got him hooked on putting peanuts in RC Cola back when he was a kid and I just kinda looked at him funny. I’ve never heard of any other time someone has done that until now. Although judging from the posts this is definatly a southern thing. (Southwest VA overhere)

Dammit, now I’m gonna have to try it.

Let us know if it fizzes,…y’know, to the top.