San Francisco - what not to miss?

No, I don’t have a laptop. But the hostel has free internet access so I’ll check email there.
I arrive on Monday, so maybe Thursday would be good. That way, I’ll have seen some of the city but am still able to do things you tell me about afterwards.

Then you absolutely MUST visit the Exploratorium, the world famous “hands-on” science museum founded by Frank Oppenheimer.

I’m sure its even more awesome now than it was when I saw it many years ago, when it was in Golden Gate Park. Now it’s in the Palace of Fine Arts building in the Marina district.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

heh, hiring a bike is for amateurs. When I went to San Fran I walked everywhere. And I mean everywhere -

GG park - fantastic, must-see
Presidio - I kinda ended up there somehow, but nice
Haight-Ashbury - really colourful, lot of “interesting characters” hanging out there
Castro - lively place, lotta bars etc, the gay epicentre. I liked it and I’m not gay
Mission - the “rough” area but I wandered around it at 1 am after going to a club there and had no problem. In fact, some stranger gave me a lift back to my hotel for the price of 2 cigarettes (I was too drunk to remember my way home) - there’s not many American cities you would do THAT in and get away with it
Fisherman’s - worth visiting but only to see the sea lions
Cable cars - great fun as they hurtle down ridiculously steep hills with the guy manically dinging his bell to warn people to get the hell outta the way

All in all, an exhausting but enjoyable holiday. SF is a very beautiful, very friendly place. The houses are all very quaint and you have to try the lobster and the clam chowder.

It’s interesting walking around streets you remember from movie sets.

Best tip - Go up to the top of the Bank of America building. It’s free, there’s a viewing area and you get a fantastic view.

Even the homeless people there have to be the funniest group of homeless people I’ve ever met in a big city (in terms of their one-liners and their friendliness).

sf is one of my favourite cities in the world, probably my 2nd favourite after Amsterdam. And I’ve been around a bit.

sigh, I loved sf.

If you like Thai food, and you’re near Divisadero Street, check out the Phuket restaurant. The food is decent, not spectacular, but you can get a matchbook that says Phuket. :smiley:

[sub](Yeah, it’s probably pronounced “foo-ket”, or something, but I like to think it’s “fuck-it.”)[/sub]

Anyhoo, SF is a wonderful city. I loved it every time I visited it.

First, are you into nature/views?

If not, ignore most of the following

1. skip the movie - see it at home

2. stay away from Wharf, Pier 39 - tourist crap can be had anywhere (and the “clam chowder” is canned")

3. The Exploitorium is good, and its building (Palace Of Fine Arts) has real charm - survivor of a 1916 party.

4. For views of the GG (city side) follow the street passed the Palace Of The Legion OF Honor - it winds along a cliff - nice!

5. Plan a day around Cliff House - ignore it, but the museum (which, as now planned, will be scattered around, with no firm plan to ever re-assemble it - think ‘Playland’). See it while you can!
    Than pay a buck and go into the best-kept secret THIS boy is going to post on the 'net:
    Camera Obscura

Then head north (wear hiking boots) around the Sutro Bath ruins, and discover the footpaths that lace the costal portion of the Presidio.

1. Check out Baker Beach

2. Don’t know if they allow minors (women weren’t allowed in until ca. 1972) or even if they will be open, but, for an authentic bar (no stools, you drink standing up) see House of Sheilds. first block of New Montgomery, directly across from the Palace Hotel (and, Heathen points out - 2 crummy blocks from the Chevy’s proposed for the last dopefest)

3. North Beach - if only for the smells - cheap food is available, so you won’t starve. the Church of Sts Peter and Paul (Washington Sq) is where Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMagio were wed.
    The WASHBAG (Wash Sq Bar And Grill) is another famous bar.

4. An entire week can be used on GG Park.

Polk at night is not a nice place

If you are into movie shoots, look around - there are several sites which point out where various films were shot

See Star Wars at the UA Coronet. Arguello/Geary. Single-screen theatre, beautiful; I worked there during Episode I. It is also THE place to se Star Wars… Lucasfilm and ILM have their screenings there, and it’s where the fans camp out ahead of time. Hell, maybe I’ll see you there.

As for food, i little farther down Geary there’s Gordo’s taqueria. Very good, very cheap… on Geary, between 18th and 19th. If you like tequila, go down a little farther to 23/24th and Geary and hit Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant. Expensive but quasi-legendary tequila selection. Biggest outside of Mexico.

The Giants will be here… 1:05 Sat and Sun. Tickets may be scarce but go have a look anyway, there’s a walkway between the right field stands and the water where you can watch the game for free. And take a peek at the stadium, even if you’re not into the sport.

I second the Exploratorium and Haight-Ashbury (but beware, there is a Gap on that corner).

I also second the no-Fisherman’s Wharf unless you like cheap souveniers, but you should be able to find some elsewhere.

p.s. those Vistorians everybody wants to see are on Steiner St, between Grove and Hayes.

oh, and my bad, the Sutro ruins, and the trails are in GGNRA, not the Presidio proper.

For history freaks - the area between Montgomery and Battery (so named because of the artillery emplacements, IIRC) below Broadway, is a historical district - it is the original ‘Barbary Coast’ - the buildings which once housed prostitutes now house lawyers [sub]your punchline here[/sub]

oh and you HAVE to see the redwoods - believe me, this is essential.

almost forgot:

NO SWIMMING off either Ocean OR Baker Beaches - we have a very nasty rip-tide. Kills a couple of fools every 2-3 years. Don’t be one of them.

China beach is safe, but proceed with caution.

How do I get to the Redwoods? Could I go there by bike, or how far is it?
I wanted to see StarWars in SF since I usually don’t like the stupid synchronized version. I read that the Coronet is going to be closed, is that true?

have no idea re. Coronet

“The Redwoods” (the ones in the car commercials) are:

PAY ATTENTION!

known as 'The Avenue of the Giants" (signage on 101) and are located just OFF 101 approx. 150 mi. North of the GG. If you get to Eureka, you’ve gone too far - WATCH FOR THE SIGN! IT AIN’T BIG.

This is a loooonnnggg day trip - I usually figure on grabbing a motel room - my sis and her brood (hubby, a 14-yr old, and 12-yr old) tried to make it a single day - they returned at 02:00 the next morning. No bike.

Closer to home: Muir Woods. Definately NOT the same - go for the Avenue.

I don’t have the age or money to get a rental car. Is there another way to get there, quick?

I don’t know if Muir Woods National Monument is in biking distance, but I bet there are busses from the city.

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/
There are more redwoods at Big Basin Redwoods State Park, about 65 miles south along the coast. That’s where I saw them, but I don’t know how you’d get there.

http://cal-parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=540

Comments:

House of Shields now serves food, so minors can go in if they want pricey appetizers.

Kate’s Kitchen has good food and lots at reasonable prices. Lower Haight is a fun place to see.

The Pork Store on upper Haight does great breakfast/brunch, also reasonable.

The Legion of Honor is a fabulous museum, and you can see the famous Thinker by Rodin without going inside.

Memphis Minnie’s - another on Lower Haight - has southern BBQ that even people is the south recommend. Also fairly cheap.

There are things to see at the wharf. At one end is the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, which has a great collection on shipping going back before even the gold rush. There’s also the Hyde Street Pier, where you can see and board actual old vessels.

If you take the cable car, take it from Powell and Market, and ride the Hyde Street car - it’s the best of the rides. (Also goes by my house!)

I’m afraid I will lose all this coding if I don’t stop! Email if you have anything specific in mind - I’ve lived here all my life. :cool: I like playing tour guide.

Sassy -

is Hamburger Mary’s still around?

(I find the ‘historic’ ships at the Hyde St. pier to be depressing - they just seem dead to me)

Does the Muni pass include the cables? If so, unless you want to see the ‘zoo’ at Powell & Market, board at the OTHER end. (If you MUST ‘do’ the cables)

Speaking of Zoos:

If like Snow Leopards:

http://www.sfzoo.org/map.feline.html

the zoo is at the extreme S.W. corner of the city, just in from the beach.

The 30’ diameter redwoods are on the Avenue - the coastal species is much smaller - your choice

If you just want to see a few redwoods, go to the Botanical Gardens in Golden Gate Park. There’s a small grove there. Admission is free.

If you’re feeling ambitious on that bike, go south on Highway 1 and check out Fort Funston. A lot of hang gliders take off and land there, and you can explore the fort and go hiking, plus it’s great scenery.

For good steaks try Tad’s Steakhouse on Powell. It’s cheap and good, and the cooks are cool to talk to.

If your not in a hurry and don’t mind ridiculous crowds, there’s the San Francisco Cheesecake Factory on top of Macy’s Union Square. The cheesecakes are especially good (go figure).

Although I would agree in general to stay away from Fisherman’s Wharf, that is where Alioto’s is. It’s a famous seafood restaurant, but I don’t know if it’s actually good as I haven’t eaten there. Incidentally, the Alioto family has a few prominent politicians in its ranks.

This is way out of your price range, but if you love dim sum and are willing to splurge, go to Yank Sing at the Rincon Center on Spear. They are fabulous. Really. Of course, they charge per plate so if you don’t eat too much it could be affordable.

For Italian, look up Bruno’s on Mission. When I was a kid I always ordered these giant canneloni, but now I’m not sure if I was just small or they were really huge.

I hear Tommy’s Joynt on Van Ness is good, but I haven’t been there. It’s a burger and sandwich place I think.

The Metreon theater has some good food in the food court area, but don’t see movies there because they turn the volume up way too damn loud.

If you ride the cable cars, take either the Powell-Mason or Powell-Hyde. The third one, California, just goes in a straight line and is generally boring. Stop at the cable house to see how it works and look at some antique equipment - some of which is still in operation!

voguevixen, what do you think how many BADs would show up?
If anyone wants cool stuff from Germany, tell me now!

I never had dim sum, can I get that cheaper somewhere?

**Hamburger Mary’s ** is still there, but it’s now a chain and has been taken over by the trendies.

Tad’s and Bruno’s are still there too, and both have excellent reputations.

For Dim Sum at a reasonable price, I would try Hang Ah. It’s old. traditional and always good. It’s in the heart of Chinatown and gets lots of locals eating there.

The monthly Muni pass includes cable cars, but I don’t know about the weekly - I think so. You can buy the pass at the kiosk located at Powell and Market.

The place I like at the wharf is Sabella and LaTorre. I will go out of my way to eat there, as the fish is always fabulous. It’s behind the crab stands and under Alioto’s. Not as fancy, but the food is better. For cheaper - but more crowded - food, there’s Lou’s. There’s live music upstairs starting at 3PM, and you can hear it downstairs. I am not sure if they check ID, but you might be able to hear some of the best local artists wailing the blues!
Tommy’s Joynt is still there, still serving buffalo and still cheap.

For reviews of local cheap eats, check
The Fud Court

Matt, if you email me I will send you my cell phone # - we can meet, and if not, you can call for advice!

Thanks Sassy, I will do so later.
FudCourt is just what I’ve been looking for!

What dates are we looking at here? I’m thinking you’ll get the best turnout on a Saturday. Do you prefer lunch or dinner? Lunch might be cheaper and less crowded. Let me know a specific date and time and I’ll start a thread in MPSIMS right quick.