Saying STOP when reading telegrams

tanstaafl and evilhanz: thank you! I’ve added the website to my favorites page for easy access later on. I just think it’s great to have the option to still be able to send telegrams. ( The last telegram I sent was for somebody’s birthday many moons ago. ) Now I need to figure out which of my friends I want to annoy…!

Interestingly, this convention has apparently survived into the era of email (although its not visible to most users). With many mail servers, a period alone on a line is used to denote the beginning and end of the body of the message, after you’ve specified the recipient and such. This was common with BBS software, as well. Pretty cool.

As noted by the linked pages, the use of “STOP” appears to date to after World War One. And even then it wasn’t consistantly used. For example, in a 1922 telegram the Department of Commerce sent (via Postal Telegraph) to Atlanta, it used “PERIOD” rather than “STOP”:

GEORGE A ILER
    CARE ATLANTA JOURNAL  ATLANTA GA
THE ATLANTA JOURNAL IS AUTHORIZED TEMPORARILY BROADCAST
WEATHER REPORTS ON THE WAVELENGTH OF FOUR HUNDRED EIGHT FIVE
METERS PENDING ACTION ON FORMAL APPLICATION FOR A RADIO LICENSE
STATION MUST USE RADIO CALL LETTERS W S B REPEAT W S B AND
EMPLOY COMMERCIAL SECOND CLASS OR HIGHER RADIO OPERATOR LICENSED
BY THIS DEPARTMENT  AUTHORITY CANNOT BE GIVEN TO BROADCAST
MARKET REPORTS UNTIL AUTHORIZED BY BUREAU OF MARKETS PERIOD
IF YOU DESIRE TO BROADCAST NEWS ENTERTAINMENT AND SUCH MATTER
THIE IS PERMITTED ON WAVE LENGTH OF THREE HUNDRED SIXTY MTERES
ONLY
                              C H HUSTON, ACTING SECTY OF COMMERCE

And in the replay, sent via Western Union, while “PERIOD” is used twice, “STOP” is also used twice.

HON C H HUSTON

ACTING SECRETARY OF COMMERCE DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE WASHINGTON DC

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR WIRE TO MR GEORGE A TILLER CARE
OF THE ATLANTA JOURNAL GIVING US TEMPORARY PERMIT TO BROADCAST
WEATHER REPORTS ON WAVE LENGTH OF FOUR HUNDRED AND EIGHTY
FIVE METERS AND DESIGNATING OUR RADIO CALL LETTERS AS W S B PERIOD WE
WISH TO ADVISE YOU THAT OUR OPERATOR HAS COMMERCIAL FIRST CLASS
LICENSE ISSUED BY YOUR DEPARTMENT AND EXPIRING FEBRUARY NEXT
PERIOD WE NOTE THAT

AUTHORITY TO BROADCAST MARKET REPORTS MUST BE GIVEN BY
BUREAU OF MARKETS AND HAVE APPLIED TO THEM FOR SUCH AUTHORITY
STOP YOUR AUTHORIZATION TO BROADCAST NEWS ENTERTAINMENT AND
SUCH MATTER ON WAVE LENGTH OF THREE HUNDRED SIXTY METERS ALSO IS
ACKNOWLEDGED STOP WE DESIRE TO THANK YOU FOR THIS
AUTHORIZATION AND HOPE TO BE OF SERVICE TO THE GOVERNMENT
AND PEOPLE STOP WE WILL BE GLAD TO HANDLE AT ANY TIME ANY
MATTER THE DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE DESIRES TO BROADCAST
  THE ATLANTA JOURNAL BY JOHN S COHEN PRESIDENT AND EDITOR.

For pre-WWI practices, I have a copy of Frederic L. Meyer’s “Twentieth Century Manual of Railway Commercial and Wireless Telegraphy”, and none of the numerous sample telegrams, circa 1905, have “STOP” or “PERIOD” spelled out. According to Meyer, “While the period is used on the ‘received message’ in many places, the receiving operator takes it upon himself to place it where it belongs; while the sending operator will only send it, perhaps, immediately after the destination in his message, just preceding the body of the message proper.” He also notes that “The public has discovered that punctuation marks are sent in their telegrams, and the next few years will find the different companies employing those alone who can punctuate, and will insist upon their use just as the newspapers do among their employes.”

Telegrams were sent using the dots-and-dashes of Morse code, and in most of the offices in the early 1900s the operators received the messages by ear, then wrote down them down by hand or using a typewriter. And sending puctuation marks by Morse code was pretty complicated, as noted by the following section from the book:

BEST STOP CITE STOP EVER STOP