Scallop myth?

Pfft—like that’s going to stop anyone. Do a Google search for “fish mislabelling” some time and you’ll get no shortage of newspaper articles and research studies showing that, depending on the market, up to a third of fish sold in markets, supermarkets, and restaurant is fraudulently mislabelled. For some species the incidence of mislabelling is as high as 70%.

Patagonian toothfish is not *mislabeled *as Chilean sea bass, it’s *marketed *under the name Chilean sea bass, which is a made-up name to make it sound more palatable.

The scallops, OTOH, are cut from zombie skate wings.

The original story about the substitute started back in the late 60s early 70s and in many parts of the US the only fish that people tended to know of were fish sticks, frozen fish/fish products, dried cod and what was fished locally. Many people had never seen a scallop. let alone known that they were a bivalve, so something fishlike was quite believable as a faux scallop. Clams occasionally came canned or as premade soup, and the little fried clam strips that you got at Howard Johnsons bear no real life resemblance to an actual clam as excavated from a shell.

Damn, now I am craving some scallops …

Could be worse. I’m craving abalone. :frowning:

This, the best answer yet. You really need to understand just how exotic any seafood other than the aforementioned items were.
Adding a lot of weight to the rumor at the time was Peter Benchley’s bestselling novel Jaws, which came out around then. In the book, one of the major characters, Hooper, makes mention about scallops being punched out of skate and ray wings. I remember seeing the movie in 1975 and shortly after, hearing people repeat the scallop/skate reference from the movie. That probably had as much as anything to contributing to the ‘urban legend’ that it was commonplace.

Cheers

While the ray/scallop bit (and I also like ray with lemon and capers) may be a bit mythic, mislabeled seafood is actually not uncommon.

That was probably tricky in high heels and a dress.

i’d probably catch the difference from the taste and the chew. but, ersatz seafood has been around. there’s even artificial caviar made from tapioca.

That’s the practice here in NZ as well, in fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen scallops without the orange roe.

They may look similar, but the texture of tapioca is nothing like caviar. Caviar is like little fish grapes that pop in your mouth, while tapioca doesn’t. I wouldn’t be fooled in the least, and I have eaten a lot of ikura and sujiko.

Now you’re being shellfish.

And so it begins…

“naturally.” it’s too mushy, according to connoisseurs. but limited production runs in russia always sell out.

It wouldn’t surprise me if some crook decided that the wholesalers buying the catch at the dock wouldn’t notice that 3% or even 5% of the scallops were fake, but I doubt that any restaurants ever knowingly served skate as scallops. They’re just too dissimilar.

That’s what I’d say. The difference at the table would be unmistakable - skate wings are like a rubbery cartilaginous comb with meat stuffed between the tines.

BOTH names are made up: Patagonian Toothfish is made up; Chilean Sea Bass is made up. There is no** G**eneral Overseer and Designer of fish and/or fish names.

As far as I know, there are only two truly tasty shark species- mako and thresher. Thresher is most common and what you will get if you order shark in a restaurant. Mako is much tastier but more difficult to fish (I remember back a few years, there were only 5 or 6 long line fisherman with licenses in SoCal) and much more rare.

Other shark species taste like ass- I cannot imagine mistaking other sharks for swordfish.

ETA- I live at the coast and have eaten seafood weekly all my life, and I have never heard of shark being sold as swordfish. But my anecdotes do not constitute data. :slight_smile:

You’re trying to start with the fish puns just for the giggles.

Fish and Chip eaters from Australia and New Zealand beg to differ. Growing up during the 70s, all basic fish sold from a takeaway would have been some variety of shark (cf Flake). I still like it better than the UK standard, Cod or Haddock.

Si

The Japanese are great with making fake seafood-surimi (formed whitefish bound together with gelatine) can be amde into “crabmean”“lobster”…and (I would suspect, scallops).
The one big problem-heat it up, and the gelatine melts…and you have a mess of slimey fish.:frowning:

Maybe so, but there probably is a meaningful distinction between established colloquial names and those that have been dreamed up specifically for the purpose of marketing.