Scam (Internet and Otherwise) Omnibus Thread

I agree with this rule, but just to make things complicated the first six (area code + exchange) of my phone number are shared by many of the county[1] offices where I live. I don’t normally get calls from county departments, so it is almost always going to be a scam, but there have been times when I’m expecting a call from the building inspector or something.


  1. it’s a city and a county! ↩︎

I recently had someone try to scam me in a way I have never heard of before. I received
an email from a medical lab saying the results of my last lab tests indicated that
there was a very serious problem with kidneys and to click on a link in the email
to get more details. The email looked very professional and had the name and
logo of a local medical lab complany. I don’t like to click on links in emails unless
I know the sender so I was very wary of this email. I noticed the “from” email
address didn’t match the lab company name. A quick check on google showed
that this lab had an office in my city but I then realized I had visted a different lab
run by a different company. Apparently this sort of scam is common and used
to trick the victim into clicking on a malicious link.

I was scammed…twice (separately), once by Microsoft & the other time by Popeye’s, & I want revenge!!!

To be fair, my typing this is worth more of my time than the amount of money that I was scammed out of, which was a combined 13¢…yes, you read that right: thirteen cents! Both of them in a tax overcharge scam. Why is it the smaller the loss the more I want to get my money back?

Microsquash - I recently purchased a new (Win 11) laptop, to view newer MP4s, I needed to buy a codec for 99¢. Why they don’t just include (especially since the need for that codec is older than the PC is) this given how much I spent on the whole PC; yes, their software is only a fraction of the total cost, but I can’t use their software w/o a computer. Rant aside, it estimated my tax at 9¢, which I figured was a placeholder value as they didn’t know what state I lived in. I clicked on [Buy] & it took me to PayPal; unlike every other time where once I click on Authorize on PayPal it then takes me back to the seller’s website to check out, & where I thought I’d enter an address & it would update the tax this time it just completed the transaction.
WA, where MS is based has a 6.5% tax rate & my state has a 6% rate; can anyone explain why they charged me 9% tax? Total amount scammed by Microsquash = 3¢!

The other was I stopped in the maul after work & then went into the food court for a snack to tide me over until I could get home for dinner, it was exactly $5 so easy to mentally calculate the tax; except the total was 10¢ higher, or 2% more than it should have been. I said something to the cashier but he was just doing what the computer told him & no point in arguing with the worker drone & of course the manager was gone as it was almost closing time. Hmmm, methinks, most people don’t pay attention; especially if it’s not a round number. If they’re doing that across the board, an extra 2% revenue probably really adds up to their bottom line.


Should I call the state Dept of Robbery Revenue; do you think that they’ll at all be concerned with someone collecting tax in their name & not paying it to them if they’re getting the right amount?

Legal - It’s probably not enough for a class action lawyer to even take my call. Should I take 'em to small claims court? Can I include court costs (roughly $100 filing fee) in my damages? Just to have their lawyer look at it will cost them a shitload more that $100.03. IF I were to do that, I bet it would make national news.

Any other option(s) you can think of? My time typing this was worth more than 13¢; please don’t let my efforts be in vain!

I understand you’re pissed about the excess sales tax that Microsoft charged but I’m wondering about the codec you paid for. I’ve never paid for any codecs. Instead II download something like Media Player Classic with a free codec pack.

Does your city, county, municipality, etc have additional sales tax? Maybe just on digital sales?

Does your state or local government charge plastic bag fees? Even if you didn’t get a bag, I wouldn’t trust a Popeye’s mall cashier to not just go through the motions and add a plastic bag fee to every sale.

No, & they don’t exactly know where I was as I never gave them an address. Yes, they can kinda figure out where I was, but that’s assuming no VPN.

No bag received & the receipt showed it all as sales tax.

You have an active PayPal account with no listed address?

PayPal has an address that usually populates whatever website I’m buying from, then I get the opportunity to press [Purchase] on the merchant’s site before the txn goes thru & I’ve seen the amount adjust from the before/estimate price because the merchant’s state has a different (& therefore default) tax rate than my state so it goes up or down a percent or so. In this case, that never happened, as soon as I pressed [pay] on PayPal’s site it went thru & I immediately got an email that my txn was completed. Based on other sites behavior, I expected the amount to both adjust & also have the opportunity to abandon the purchase; neither of those things happened in this case.

I must again reiterate we’re talking about 3¢ but it’s the principle of the thing, not the amount that’s the issue here.

I just got an email (supposedly) from Microsoft, that they’ve changed their Terms & Conditions for email & I should click on the link to view & accept them or I won’t be allowed access to my email account anymore…it’s from a gmail account. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I received the below email today. It’s good; no, it’s great; as in out-loud laughing at it’s ridiculousness! I guess if I don’t step foot in the Court House I can’t be legally prosecuted??? & at least they’re only going to tell my employer instead of calling the cops with that list of crimes that I committed. ::Phew::
(the only thing I changed was the email address, but it actually started with “attorney.”)


We are hereby to inform you that you are going to be legally prosecuted in the Court House within a couple of days.

So before something goes wrong we would like to notify you about this matter. It seems apparent that you had chosen to ignore all our efforts to contact you in order to resolve your debt with your Payday Services. At this point, you had made your intentions clear and leave us no choice but to protect our interest in this matter.

UNITED LEGAL INVESTIGATION BUREAU HAS STATED 4 SERIOUS ALLEGATIONS AGAINST YOU AND THEY ARE:

(1) VIOLATION OF FEDERAL BANKING REGULATION

(2) COLLATERAL CHECK FRAUD

(3) THEFT BY DECEPTION

(4) ELECTRONIC FUND TRANSFER

If we do not hear back from you within 24 hours of the date of this letter, we will be compelled to seek legal representation from our in-house attorney. We reserve the right to commence litigation for intent to commit wire fraud under the pretense of refusing to repay a debt committed to, by use of the internet. In addition, we reserve the right to seek recovery for the balance due, as well as legal fees and any court costs incurred.

Basically all the loan companies working under Speedy cash are (Cash Net USA, Ace Cash Express, Cash Advance, Check 'n Go, Advance America, Check City, Check Into Cash, Title Max, 100 Days, Net Loan USA, Cash Advance, 100 Day Loan, Net loan the USA, Fax free Cash, Payday one, Sonic Cash Money tree, Egg loans, Check cash Loan, Quickly Payday, Personal Cash Advance, Rapid Cash, Sonic Payday, Speedy Cash, My Cash Now, National Payday, Cash Central Loans, Cash Net 500, Cash Net USA, Allied Cash, Super Pawn, Check into Cash, Check Smart, Cash America Net, Cash America, Cash America Pawn, Cash land, Super Pawn, Cash America Payday Advance).

So, it doesn’t matter from which website or from which store you have taken out this loan main lender have rights that they can file a complaint and recover outstanding balance in the courthouse.

WE HAVE ALL THE RIGHTS RESERVED TO INFORM TO FTC & YOUR EMPLOYER AND BANK ABOUT THIS FRAUD.

As we have shared with you in previous letters, read your loan agreement; the next step is clearly defined. It could cost us both a great deal of time and money; you can avoid this by taking care of this now. The opportunity to take care of this voluntary is quickly coming to an end. We would hate for you to lose the option of resolving this before it goes to the next step which is A lawsuit against you, but to do so you must take immediate action

If you do not take immediate action:

We will be forced to download this case against you and once it is downloaded the creditor has entire rights to inform your employer and your references regarding this issue and the lawsuit will be the next step which will be amounting to $5684.79 and will be totally levied upon you and that would be excluding your attorney charges and the due amount pending on your name.

We have a settlement amount for you with easy weekly and onetime settlement amount option.

1. If you can make a one-time payment of $753.87 (same-day payment), we can close your case file with this amount only.

2. If you are looking for a weekly payment, then you have to pay a total amount of $1280.87 with a payment arrangement, and you can pay $256.00 weekly till paid in full.

Kindly let us know what type of payment arrangement you are looking for at mailto:attorney.[firstname].[lastname]@gmail.com

Do provide us with the date on which you can pay so that we can update your account.

Kindly let us know are you willing to resolve this matter out of the courthouse or we should proceed further with the legal charges against you. Once this case will be downloaded against you then we won’t be able to help you out.

Note: This is your last and final chance to settle this case.

Else we are going to transfer your file to the legal department to download the case against you and you will receive the court summons at your doorstep within 3-4 working days. Kindly hire an attorney.

Do revert us ASAP to stop all legal consequences against your Name and SSN.

NOTE: THIS CASE IS UNDER INVESTIGATION WITH MAJOR CREDIT BUREAUS.

Kindly let us know what type of payment arrangement you are looking for at

How often are sales taxes adjusted where you live? In my state they are updated in January and July. It was fun when a funded purchase order created in December but fulfilled in January had to be updated to account for a few dollars change for the sales tax.

They don’t.
At least they haven’t changed the base rate in decades. At some point they added services to be taxed at the same rate as goods, but that’s about it.

We’re, like, going to totally levy that shit on you dude! Better revert to us ASAP!

Kinda sad how long it must have taken these yahoos to write up something this dumb.

I know we’re not supposed to mock those who fall for such obvious scams but how about protective custody for anyone who falls for this?

Attention,

Complements, I am the new president of USA Donald Trump by
name, Presidential elections were held in US on 2025,having been
delayed by one week due to logistical constraints.[1]
Incumbent President JD Vance was at the end of his
second presidential term and was constitutionally barred
from running for a third. The elections grabbed the interest
of many of the country’s top me, resulting in over 30
candidates running for the presidency.[2] A second round was
held on 23 March,[3] in which I defeated Prime Minister
Lionel Zinsou. I am actually writing this message to inform
you that after the meeting held in my office day before
yesterday which consist between the United States Embassy
and the United Nations, after receiving many complaints that
many was scammed from USA and others African Countries, we
concluded that you will receive your funds worth of$950,
Million USD as promise. I’m pleading with all scammed
citizens that has been scammed due to one reason or the
other and for anything would be compensated back and no
matter your country or continent, AFRICA, ASIA PACIFIC,
ENGLAND, EUROPE, ETC. all scammed person(s) would be
compensated and would be sent their compensation funds.

*Furthermore, every client and beneficiaries would be sending their *
compensation fund each. And this fund would be release to you through
*Bank of America Service, nothing like any delivery agent or courier *
company involved in this, perhaps, the your funds was on held already.
Requesting for International Organization of Securities
Commissions, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and U.S
Department of Justice Approval Letter.
The only money that would be involved
in this would be the activation fee sum of $25 each and this
would be the only fee that would be paid by the beneficiary
of the funds. Moreover,there will be no C.O.D in this stated
method of payment and every beneficiary has just from now
till 30th of this month to comply and correspond with this
office respectively.

Meanwhile you are advice to stop any
communication from whose ever is contacting you about your
funds. Any email you received forward it to me for proper
investigation. You are directed to send the fee to via
ITunes Card Or Steam Wallet Or Bitcoin

Looking forward to hear from you and
please accept my apologies for the
distraction about receiving your due
funds as i have decided to make
amends now and release your funds to
you through the help of this country,

Sincerely Yours,

Mr. Gary E . Walker
Chairman president and
Chief Executive officer
Bank of America

They forgot who they were by the end of all that. LOL