School movies they probably don't show anymore

As a kid in the UK they aired plenty of PIFs (public information films) between Television for Schools. Some of those were frightening. Such as:

It’s been awhile since I was in grade school or high school for that matter, but I think Reefer Madness Reefer Madness - Wikipedia takes the cake. :cool:

And, yes, it was as laughable then as it is now.

I remember that one.

“Ten thousand year ago today, the glaciers all were going away, bye-bye”

He was jumping back and forth in time to show the chages caused by the Ice Age.

At one point he was suddenly underwater and when he floated to the surface there was a Great Lakes ore carrier bearing down on him.

Are we talking about the same film?

I was in Maryland in the early 80’s, and we watched Paddle to the Sea. I didn’t understand why the boy would carve something just to let it go, and thought it was sad that he’d never see it again.

I saw “The Red Balloon” in elementary school in the early 90s.

I was just thinking of that second one! I never saw it as a kid, only as an adult online. So awesome though.

I was shown it in my seventh grade French class, because the few lines of dialogue? were in French. It wasn’t very engaging. We liked The Scarlet Pimpernel much more.

I saw it in junior high in the late 70s. At the time I thought it was very boring (I think most of the kids did) but just now, reading the summary on Wikipedia, it sounds like I might understand it better now.

I also was struck by a similarity between it and the movie “J. T.” (being discussed on another thread).

In both films, an innocent that is loved by the main character is killed/destroyed by cruel bullies.

I don’t deal too well with that particular plot device, so I usually avoid things that contain it.

Do they still show “Signal Thirty” and it’s ilk in Driver Ed? These were the bloody, scrape-you off-the-pavement movies they used to show in an effort into scaring you into driving safely.

We brought popcorn when they showed it to us.

Yes! Surely we must be talking about the same one.

I remember sometimes watching the early 70’s PBS show Inside/Out as part of social studies. It was a great show about social issues facing kids done in a halfway realistic way. And the show always just ended abruptly, without resolution- sometimes the cliffhangers were terrifying for a young kid. I remember one that just ended with some kid with a broken leg stuck at the bottom of a hill… always wondered what happened to him- I just concluded the worst.

Was the canoe red?

The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes

I remember Hemo the Magnificent; are the others as good?

Here’s the Intro for Inside/Out, brings back some memories.

Here’s a rare full episode of Inside/Out -Finding Information.

That was it. I couldn’t get to the link, though I could get to the Paddle by the Sea linked earlier.

Here you go.

NOT safe for work!

Its ilk, certainly. Our version was 'Wheels of Tragedy". I seem to remember a scene by a bridge, with some person who had been in an accident (and not wearing his seat belt) with his mouth open and you could see out the back of his head.I had Driver’s Ed before lunch, fortunately.

Regards,
Shodan

Sounds like the first three minutes of an episode of SVU.

I remember The Restless Sea from that series.

Along the same lines was my favorite, The Living Desert.

Oh yeah, Paddle to the Sea! I remember the tension every freakin’ time I saw it as it slid down and down the mountain to the water. Or near the falls. 'Course, I grew up in quite a different place from the OP – Montville. Good what, 8 miles?

Another vague memory of school movies is some … something to do with the telephone. Bell Telephone put it together, I think it was Fantastic Voyage-like, with kids and a guide or something getting miniaturized inside a telephone to see how it works. Lots of lights and other hypnotic effects or something.

And then there was the iconic professor and some animated drawings – a deer and a rabbit and maybe a turtle, all about the circulatory system. Or maybe that was the after-effects of the colored lights. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure they don’t show the aforementioned Johnny Appleseed anymore, since it contained song verses like this:
The Lord is good to me
And so I thank the Lord
for giving me the things I need
the something something and the apple trees
The Lord is good to me.