Sci-Fi Fans...Peter F Hamilton, Author?

I enjoyed Night’s Dawn trilogy, tho the ending did disappoint. But I was sort of ready to wrap the damn thing up just about any which way, by the time I got to it. That’s what I get for reading all 3 volumes in a week.

I’ll have to check out some of his other works…

Funny. I am ready to feel that way also about Dreaming Void and the sequels haven’t been written yet!

:slight_smile:

Dissenting Opinion Alert!

I’m always really surprised by the love Hamilton gets. I read Pandora-Judas and was severely underwhelmed and bored. I finished because I pretty much finish everything I start and wanted to see how he’d end it, but afterwards was glad I was done.

I think he has some interesting ideas (the alien character in those books was great) but find his humans to be simplistic, soap-opera types. But my biggest problem was that he seemed to like using 10 sentences where one would do. I felt like I was slogging through syrup most of the time — everything took more time/pages than necessary to explain.

YMMV, obviously. Most everyone else’s seems to…

Finished Dreaming Void. I highly recommend it and am now bummed out that I can’t start in on the sequel while the first book is fresh in my mind because the sequel isn’t completed yet!

Ah, maybe I’ll dig out a CLive Cussler fluff book or something…

I too enjoyed Night’s Dawn. And while the ending was a bit anticlimactic, it wasn’t enough me regret the masterful weaving of plots and subplots up to that point.

The impression that I got was that he was rolling the story along and suddenly realized, “Damn! I’ve got to end it here!”

I gave up on the Night’s Dawn stuff before the last book. Just too much stuff, not going anywhere fast enough.

I quite liked Pandora’s Star (not Box, btw) and Judas Unchained. I thought the aliens were nicely weird and, well, ALIEN, and he’s a master of The Big Idea.

But he does go on and on and on sometimes.