Sci-fi Science Experiments with unforseen consequences?

I recall a short story where scientists operating a new record breaking particle accelerator simultaneously proved both the existence of a false vacuum* and the existence of branching parallel universes. Every time they tried to run an experiment, the machine would ALWAYS fail - something would break, something would be overlooked, and so forth. One of them finally figured out that actually running the machine would break the false vacuum, and in the process destroy Earth and all the universe. So in every possible universe where the machine worked, everyone died; the only existing universes were those few where by some coincidence the accelerator failed.

So they discovered two very interesting scientific facts - at the cost of destroying a near infinity of universes. Repeatedly.

• The “false vacuum” is a hypothesis that our present vacuum isn’t the lowest possible energy state, but is in fact only metastable and could transition into a lower energy state. Since this would change all sorts of physical laws, the result would be the destruction of everything in the present universe, in a bubble expanding at lightspeed as the vacuum transitioned to it’s new state.

In The Quiet Earth:

I think this is “The Doomsday Device” by John Gribbin - at the end of the story they device that detects fallout - so that if a nuclear war ever occurs, the accelerator will destroy that universe (putting all of us in a better, non-WWIII universe.

Back on topic, I read part of a story (online, with the second half of the story only available if I paid) in which a psychology experiment imprinted every person in the world with the experimental subject’s personality - unfortunately, I never found out what happened after that.

I don’t think that is what Der Trihs is thinking of. The story he is remembering had an analogy of our Universe having expanded to a situation analogous to super-cooled water, which needs a seed to immediately turn to ice. The device would provide that seed.
It would either provide inexhaustalbe free energy or satrt another Big Bang/ inflationary period going to the next larger Universe.
The story ends with them hitting the button.

Also King’s “The End Of The Whole Mess” where an attempt to get rid of violence in humanity succeeds but at quite a price.

How about Clarke’s “The Nine Billion Names Of God” where a couple of scientists produce a computer that prints out all the possible names of god for a group of monks who believe that when all the names have been written, the universe ends.

On the small scale I’d say that just about every story in “Tales From The White Hart” has an ending like what the OP is looking for.

Joe Haldeman, The Accidental Time Machine. Its about someone who accidentally invents a time machine.

Nope, I’m pretty sure I recall that story and it’s a different one. I say “pretty sure” because I think the details were slightly different :

The “button” had ALREADY been pressed; the protagonist was being given a choice by the experimenter whether or not to let it finish building to full power and activate. The twist was that the experimenter was a maverick type whose theories the rest of the scientific community didn’t take seriously; and he only had the resources to try the experiment once. So the choice is; let the machine build to full power and activate, and find out if you have an inexhaustible power source or a universe destroyer; or shut it down, and the experiment probably won’t be tried again for a long time if ever.

Old folks like me often conflate details of things read twenty or more years ago.

Do you recall a line about “I tried to picture the people in the previous cosmic egg. I imagined them like fast-moving ants” or something to that effect?

No he’s right, the Earth had been destroyed by a miniature black hole in Hyperion. It wasn’t part of the story, just history in the story. But that’s the whole setting of Martin Silenus’ Dying Earth novels. Of course,

In the sequels, we find that Earth hasn’t really been destroyed, just moved elsewhere by one of the AI factions.

Of course, experiment-with-unforseen-consequences was the plot (OK, fragment of plot) of DOOM first (actually, I bet there was a game with the same plot before DOOM; anybody know?)

It’s just become the default foundation of any shoot-em-up game. " Scientists… experiment… portal… demons coming through… your mission… close portal and protect Earth…here’s your weapon… good luck…"

A generic term I’ve heard is “things man is not meant to know”.

All sci-fi science experiements go bad. Well–all cinematic ones.

But the first one that comes to mind is the one in Deep Blue Sea, when the Saffron Burroughs character, believing that mako sharks’ brains may contain a chemical which can threat Alzheimer’s, genetically engineers three sharks to have bigger brains, which naturally entails making them much, much smarter. My then-eight-year-old niece, watching this for the first time, remarked on what a horrible idea that was and expressed disbelief that anyone would remain on the ocean-borne lab where the research was being done after hearing about it.

This may be “Vacuum States” by Geof Landis (from 1987) - if anyone cares, I’ll see if I can find the issue with that story.

I came in to mention this book as well.

In The Ring of Charon, an experiment in creating artificial gravity with the Ring in question sends a signal that wakes up an alien machine/creature buried on the Moon. The result is that Earth is stolen * by the aliens, and they promptly start dismantling the Solar System.

• They replace it with a black hole; for some time the people in the Solar System think that Earth was somehow crushed into a black hole by the experiment.

Wouldn’t the Reevers from Serenity count?

Or, how about the movie My Science Project?

That’s genius! If you have the name of that short story I’d like to read it.

Thanks for the other replies everyone.

That’s what I was thinking…the theme is so common that it scarcely bears mentioning. “He tampered in God’s domain”…or peppered in God’s lo mein… or something like that.

Well, Half-Life 2: Episode 2’s ending would certainly qualify.

Yeah, me too. Spooky Idea, sounds a little like an Episode of Outer Limits. :wink: