Scientifically, should sensitive research issues have to pass a more rigorous standard?

I guess I have to repeat what I said in the other thread:

Finding the genes responsible for particular traits is scientifically useful. Trying to find average differences between (poorly-defined) groups, that overlap a great deal, is almost entirely useless.
It’s of interest to some people because they wish to support particular biases, and treat everyone of group X as being inferior in some way to group Y.

So for that reason, if I were someone funding research studies I’d need a good reason why we’re studying such differences, even if it’s just “white people have larger fingernails [on average]”.
If there is such a reason, then fine, and the acceptable p value is the same as any other study.

This argument comes down to “some topics are more sensitive than other topics”.
If you want to describe the “sensitivity” as “level of certainty”, knock yourself out.
It is not going to change the sensitivity of any topic.

And, given the horseshit “Scientists have found that fat people have more scalp hair” crap on the “news” (a study of 50 people is NOT conclusive), I can’t get real excited about this crap.

IMO, no. This fundamentally defeats the whole objectivity part of science, particularly the harder sciences. If a study has produced a result with whatever the typical standard is in their field and has passed peer review, it is worthy of publishing in an appropriate journal regardless of whether it’s something like “Do people of primarily European descent typically have less melanin than people with primarily African descent?” vs the same study, but on intelligence. The consequences of the research is one that should be left up to society. Was that standard and the results significant enough to act on, or no? If so, what action should we take?

Really, it seems to me the problem is, as others mentioned, with peer review and with the idea of “publish or perish”. Academics are forced to publish, so we get a higher quantity, with poor peer review processes, we get a lower signal to noise ratio on the results. Hell, it’s not uncommon that I’ll hear about two contradicting studies being released around the same time, particularly when they’re studying controversial issues, and it’s possible that both have issues with their methodologies, rigor, data, or reproduceability. So we have to rely on more reputable journals, but even they get things wrong from time to time.

I’d really much rather see us reevaluate the process for publishing, to reinforce an idea of quality over quantity, and then if we raise the standards across the board, it also raises them for controversial issues as well.

[my italics]

Did you mean to say gravitational waves. :slight_smile:

I recently heard the author of this piece speak and hold a discussion panel:
How journals like Nature, Cell and Science are damaging science

The author is an advocate for legitimate open-access publishing.

It was kinda funny because people kept on referring to CNS. As a biology guy, my first thought was central nervous system? But, then I got it–apparently, it’s a fairly common acronym for Cell, Nature, and Science when talking about journals and publishing.