Scott Brown is probably running for Senate

You’d still have more conservative Republicans. I guess my question here is how you expect this to happen - and if you’re going to cheer for Democrats in conservative states, or just Republicans in liberal ones. :wink:

Well, I’d like to think that if Brown changes his party affiliation to Democrat and ran in NH I’d vote for him over, say Michelle Bachman.

I certainly have more in common with his policy ideas then hers, regardless of which party they belong to.

But yes: I’d much rather see MA elect a Democrat that has some conservative streaks than just a party line Democratic voting machine which is basically what Warren is.

Warren is actually to the left of most Democrats, at least on some issues. And you kind of dodged the meat of the question: you’re not going to see Bachmann vs. Brown in Massachusetts. She’d never get nominated. In addition to supporting Republicans in liberal states, would you support, say, Richard Carmona in Arizona?

The President would prefer that Brown move to Texas and run. Brown invited Obama to come campaign for Shaheen in NH:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/03/19/obama-brown-leave-shaheen/rwcQks3nE820g6BbIvov5L/story.html

Ha. I doubt we’ll be seeing Senators standing next to the President much this election cycle.

Ha, in the last month of the election you’ll see many Senators standing next to the President in areas of high African-American population; especially in LA, NC and MI. It’s all about turnout, baby.

No, you’ll see the President by himself. The Senator won’t want to risk being seen on TV with him.

Remember how McCain’s hug of Bush was used against him? Obama’s getting that toxic. No way Sheehan wants any part of that.

Cite that Shaheen wants no part of that:

Neither Hagan nor Shaheen has asked Obama to campaign with her, and both have been coy about whether they even want him to visit their states. Don’t look for a presidential bus tour to roll through Charlotte or Manchester this summer.

I didn’t say NH. I said LA, NC and MI, states with population areas of high african-american density. And I didn’t say “this summer,” I said in the last few weeks of the campaign. Get that? You use the President tactically to generate turnout.

Now you’re welcome to go ahead and re-arrange my words any way you want… might as well give you my permission, because you’re going to do it anyway.

The President may go there, but he won’t be there with the Senate candidates. They will have scheduling conflicts.

In the last weekend of the campaign, Mary Landrieu will be with Obama in New Orleans and she’ll be hugging him harder than Sammy Davis Jr. hugged Nixon in '72. And you’ll see Kay Hagen sitting in his lap and she’ll probably be wearing dreadlocks and giving him fist pumps. It’s all about turnout and Obama remains a very valuable tool in turnout amongst African Americans. For Landrieu and Hagen, their only chance at re-election is to boost turnout in those areas. They may wait until the end of the campaign, but Obama is their best chance.

And given that NH’s population is only around 1.5% African American, I doubt you’ll see Obama campaigning for Shaheen.

True. But he won’t be with Senators in battleground states either. He’ll do what Clinton does, campaign by himself and ask them to vote for him even though he’s not on the ballot. No Senator in a tough race is going to put his or her face next to his when he won’t actually succeed in motivating African-Americans to vote, and when appearing with him will motivate the anti-Obama vote even more.

Unless of course they make sure to keep the media away. Maybe do churches only or something, where it’s tacky to show up with cameras and microphones.

What? You don’t think North Carolina is a battle ground state? And Obama will campaign with Peters in Detroit, and he and Udall will share a tamale in an area of high-density Hispanic voters. But Obama won’t campaign in SD or Montana with their Dem Senatorial Candidates, because those states are predominantly white, and Obama never won the white population. (And you take away white voters in California and other liberal states, Obama’s share of the white vote is under 35%) But he did win 97% of the African American vote and 70+% of the Hispanic vote, so he is a VERY valuable tactical resource to target those areas, and the Senate candidates will be VERY close to him in areas of high minority population.

Your perception that all Senate Candidates won’t be seen with Obama is just incorrect. Most white folks, in those states that are likely to have close Senate races, aren’t going to vote for him, so what does the candidate have to lose if Obama helps him with black/hispanics? The wrath of Sean Hannity and Sarah Palin?

Because if the Senate candidate appears with him, then the Senate candidate endorses him.

Peters will not be campaigning with Obama under any circumstances. Peters is going out of his way to be conservative and campaigning in areas Democrats traditionally don’t go to. You may be right that Obama will go to Detroit(I’m positive Clinton will), but Peters will not be there with him.

And again, Democrats do this every cycle and it never actually brings out the vote, unless the vote was going to be so low without them as to be ridiculous.

Peters has already appeared with Obama… 8 weeks ago. Peters, Obama pair up.

If you’re a Democrat, you’re going to be linked to Obama, anyway, so rather than just take the negative hit, tap into the considerable positives that Obama has as well.

I agree with that much. That goes double for ACA. Running as a Republican lite can win a race once in awhile(especially if the GOP candidate is extreme), but it’s generally not a winning strategy.

Peters is smarter than most Democrats in his triangulation, which worries me, because Republicans are always threatening to win a Senate seat there and it’s like Lucy with the football.

Hey! Not crazy about people calling me “Lucy”, but I shrug it off. But I do not even own a football! Nonetheless, I am willing to accept a humble and contrite apology.

An extraordinary admission for a politician: