SD jargon that has slipped into your life

I did the :rolleyes: thing in an e-mail to a non doper the other day.

Zenster briefly cause a little misunderstanding at my birthday party when I was talking to a couple in the front yard.

He had been retrieving something from his car and was on his way back in the house when he said, “Are they Dopers too?” I shook my head and he said, “Ah, well then, carry on,” as he walked off.

The man works for my husband. :eek:

So then I had to explain how I invited a bunch of people I had never met IRL, met them on the SDMB and how we all referred to ourselves as “Dopers.”

I’m not sure they bought it.

I used roll eyes and many other actions long before the Straight Dope. They also slipped into personal snail mail.
I just wrote a four page letter to a friend from Turkey and added several actions and smilies.
Just cant do without em anymore…
It s funny when you adopt online slang if English is not even your native language. People will hear you and not know what s weirder: The words I use or the way they sound when I say them.
For the record: Usually when I write ROTFL I am at least near falling off my damn chair - and sometimes when I write LOL my parents will knock on the door and make sure I am alright.

dodgy

I’ve been asking “Who’s they” for years, but mostly because of the Simpsons episode in which Marge asks Homer that question and gets the response “Those guys down at the bait shop.”

I also use felch, in a joking (at least to me) way, when someone is giving me a hard time, as in “Go felch yourself” or “felch you.” It tends to sidetrack them because they have no clue as to what I’m talking about. And, of course, “goat felching freak” is quite an insult, but the person doesn’t know they’ve been insulted.

I did that once. I was so mad at a guy I work with that I called him a “goat felching prick.” So, of course, that stopped the argument dead, because the few people in the room started cracking up at this new term, and I was laughing because I couldn’t believe what I had just said. Naturally, I had to explain felching, and of course, to this day, there are a couple people who ask if I’ve done it lately.
Also, I have been known to call someone a troll when they’re purposely trying to get me upset about something. My husband is the only person I know IRL who understands this one.

I, too, get in trouble with words like Doper and Dopefest. Also have the problem of mentioning a “friend” and having people look at me funny when I say that I haven’t actually met them IRL. And occasionally, referring to you guys by your user name will get me a funny look.