SD on Handicapped Stalls (Restrooms)

When I had young children, I always used the handicapped stalls b/c they were roomier and I could wheel my stroller in. There was no way in hell I would leave my two young kids outside my supervision for even a minute.

But now that I am unencumbered, I default back to the non-handicapped stalls. If there’s a wait, then of course all stalls should be used. And depending on where and how long the lines are, I do mean ALL stalls. Including the men’s room. :slight_smile:

When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

This question is one that comes up often, and I’ll answer it (as I always do!). First of all, as has been stated – the H-stalls are for the convenience of, not the exclusive use of, the disabled. I have taught my daughter to wait in line with everyone else if the line extends outside the bathroom (as it often does for women’s restrooms). This includes the little foyer that many public restrooms have. Once she gets inside the restroom proper, I’ve told her to consider herself ‘next in line’ for the H-stall.

For Homer – my daughter has CP. She no longer uses a wheelchair, but walks with forearm crutches. She needs to H-stall because there is room for her to stow her crutches and bars for her to support herself while taking the throne. So sorry to hear that you feel she is not entitled to use the handicapped facilities. We (and most thinking people) disagree. Live with it, Skeezix.

Also, your opinion about handicapped parking is as bigoted and uninformed as your other opinions (whatta surprise!). There are NEVER enough H-spaces. We usually don’t use them (Dori can get in and out of the van without assistance and use her crutches to walk to the store) so that they’ll be available for people who need them more. However, a few years ago, Dori had major orthopedic surgery and had both legs in casts from hip to toe. We went to the mall and couldn’t find an H-space. We needed the extra room in a van space to get her in and out (the casts didn’t bend, you know). Finally, I drove to the back forty and parked strattling two spaces. I put the H-placard on the rear view mirror AND taped a quickly handwritten H-notice on both the side windows so people would know I was taking two spaces on purpose. When we got back to the van after shopping we found that some inconsiderate moron in a tiny Miata had squeezed in next to us – on the sliding door side, of course. There were plenty of spaces available, BTW – I had parked way back in the extra lots, in an attempt to inconvenience my fellow shoppers as little as possible. Oh yeah, it was raining too. I had to push Dori and her wheelchair back to the mall entrance and leave her there (fortunately I had my mom with us, so Dori didn’t have to wait alone – she was 10 years old at the time) while I hiked back to the van, deparked and came back to collect them. I resisted the (very strong) impulse to key the jerk’s car. I DID leave a note thanking him for making my daughter’s first shopping trip after major orthopedic surgery such a fun-filled experience. Asshole (both the person in the Miata AND Homer).

Jess

Full of 'satiable curtiosity

BTW, Lisa – I spoke to a number of disabled people about this issue when I was trying to figure out the etiquette involved for Dori. The overwhelming majority are willing to consider travelling with small children (especially in strollers) as a handicapping condition entitling you to usage of the H-stall!

Jess

Full of 'satiable curtiosity

Ah gawd… please don’t let any Berkeley City Council members find out about this. Next thing you know, Berkeley’s going to have not only “women with children” spaces, but “environmentally friendly vehicle” spaces and “homeless person encampment” spaces. Yikes is right.

Personally, I don’t mind parking a bit farther out. Fewer cars to ding my doors, and my butt and thights get a little exercise. What’s the big whoopin’ deal? Yeah, I think they sometimes overdo it with 5 and 6 handi-spots per store, but considering that I’m perfectly healthy, I have a lot of sympathy for those who DO need to park close. I’d sooner set my hair on fire than use a handicapped spot, myself.

StoryTyler
I am too in shape! :::muttering::: Round is a shape.

Oh no, I believe the Rules for Cars That Deserve Keying are VERY clear on this, and that Mr. Miata would have had NO legal recourse had you done your civic duty and gouged deep yard-long pits into the sides of his crappy little four-wheeled penis.

Trust me on this.

StoryTyler

You obviously haven’t been to Florida.

I can deal with the multitudinous handicapped spaces around here, but if I ever saw that kind of crap I think I’d have to go in the middle of the night and do some rearranging.

I’m glad to give seniors and handicapped people the front spots. I’m just thankful that I’m relatively young and healthy.

What gripes me is the senior citizen discounts! I know there are some seniors out there living on fixed incomes, but most seniors that I know are living very well off. Their houses are paid off, they have two people drawing an income.

I mean, geez, why don’t they give “single parent” discounts, or “one working parent” discounts, or “two kids in college” discounts?

Free-loaders. :slight_smile:

Pregnant women spaces? People with children spaces? Jesus Christ! Around these parts (Michigan) there’s rarely more than two handycapped spaces in a given row, and I’ve NEVER seen any of the more exotic types mentioned above. On the other hand, though, able-bodied people using the H-spaces is highly frowned upon, so usually cars in the H-spots have either the plate or --more commonly-- a permit that can be taped onto the rear window of whatever car the person happens to be in.

ANother fact to make you go “eeewwwww”

The handicapped stalls and the first stall in the row are always more rife with bacterium than their counterparts… mainly for the reason they are used more often than the others…

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

Actually, I’ve read that the first stall in a row is the cleanest, because many people will avoid the one closest to the door.

I do my best to park in “Women with Children” spaces, cause that’s just bullshit. But I would never so much as look longingly at a handicapped space. Those are legit, Women with children is not.

BTW, you should have keyed his car :slight_smile:

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, beleived by a majority of the people.
-Giordano Bruno

I read about the spaces for pregnant women (“Stork” spaces) before they started popping up and, according to the articles and interview I read, the spaces are a convenience for them on the part of the store, they are not reserved spaces like handicapped spots (i.e. you do not need a permit and you don’t really need to be a pregnant woman). I would bet the “Women with kids” (Are they “Women with Kids” or “People with Kids”?) are the same deal. (Wouldn’t bet on the Seniors spaces, though. That could go either way.)

No, they’re not a legal issue, but still…there’s something about them that really pisses me off. Handicapped people deserve spaces. They need them. Women with children do not. Nor do men with children.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, beleived by a majority of the people.
-Giordano Bruno

Sorry, generally, manly men do not consider the Miata to be a four wheeled penis. A sporty four wheeled penis is more along the lines of a 5.0, Z3, an M5, or something of that nature. The Miata would probably be considered more of a four wheeled breast enlargement.

Just from an informal poll.

:slight_smile:

–Tim

Women with children may not, but I kind of like the idea of pregnant women spaces. Heaven knows, being heavily pregnant can cause a lot of conditions associated with some disabilities that require closer or easier access to a business. It’s much more difficult getting out of the car, walking even a short distance can cause shortness of breath, and particularly with my third child I had perpetual backache that made walking difficult and painful.

And in snow country, where there may be ice to deal with, it also makes sense to minimize the distance a pregnant woman, whose center of gravity has shifted and who may be unable to see the ground she is walking on, or to catch herself if she starts to slip, has to walk from the car to the building.

-Melin

At my neighborhood grocery store, the “people with kids” spaces are actually “Parents with Infants” spaces. And they are located right next to the carriage return spot. Let me tell you, it is much easier for me to grab a cart out of the return spot, strap my daughter in, and then proceed into the store.
While I appreciate the courtesy extended by the supermarket to me and other parents of infants, my reaction to seeing that those spaces are full is, “oh well.” It is, after all, just a courtesy. Whereas if I see inappropriate use of the handicapped spaces, I get really ticked off.
And finally, as a pregnant woman in her third trimester, I sure would appreciate a pregnant-woman spot, though I have never seen one. I have actually idly wondered about whether doctors should be allowed to issue short-term handicapped permits to women in late pregnancy. Probably too complicated and open to abuses, though.

There are short-term handicapped permits available for people recovering for injuries or illness and are temporarily disabled. The ones I’ve seen are valid for about 4 months. I guess it couldn’t hurt to ask.

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

The Kat House
Join the FSH Webring

I’ve never parked in a handicap space but the whole thing was put in a different perspective for me when my dad became paralyzed two years ago. It’s not enough to find a handicap space when I’m driving him because I have to find one with space on the right side for the lift on the van. I am never tempted to use a handicap spot when I’m driving either of the two vehicles my folks have with permit plates unless he’s with me and planning on getting out.

I’m only aware of one person in the company that needs the handicap stall and he’s not on my floor. Naturally the one day he needs to use the can on this floor I’m in there. For some reason guys only leave the Wall Street Journal in the big stall so it’s somewhat popular. I was embarassed and said I’d be right out but he left and presumably went to another floor.

:::snork!::: Correction noted!

StoryTyler
C’mon up and see me sometime.

Sorry for the OT, but I want to know what distinction you draw between the Miata and the Z3 as far as the penis-extension factor is concerned. I don’t see much difference.

Disclaimer: I own neither, but I have always been a small, agile, sports car fan. Actually, I drive a Mazda MX3 GS, cousin of the Miata. I don’t have the need to compensate, I’ll let you draw your own conclusions…