Seattle hit by 6.2 quake

We all dodged a serious bullet on this one.

I was at my consulting job in Bellevue. My wife katrina was in the Health Sciences library at the University of Washington. We all went for a ride, and then the rest of the day was shot. No damage whatsoever to our house; just a few of our several thousand books ended up on the floor. (I take the region’s seismic activity fairly seriously, and have spent a lot of time securing our shelves, water heater, wine rack, etc.; it paid off.) And katrina even found the cat curled up sleeping peacefully on the bed, barely an hour after the quake.

This event was simultaneously the best possible earthquake, as well as the worst. Here’s why.

It was the best possible earthquake because despite its magnitude and coverage area, damage and casualties were astonishingly limited. A few hundred chimneys, a couple of small landslides, a few masonry buildings, one stretch of rural freeway, a blocked river, a couple of dozen cars, two hundred injured people, one death. All of that, for a 6.8 quake. Truly incredible.

The epicenter was deep and inland, meaning (1) minimal risk of aftershock, (2) no risk of tsunami, (3) significant energy distribution, (4) epicenter strength kept away from major population centers. Our public officials have spent a lot of time and money on preparation, upgrading building codes, drilling emergency personnel, retrofitting bridges, and so on. It all paid off. Less than twenty-four hours after the quake, only a handful of buildings have been deemed unsafe, most of our bridges are open, our largest airport is already up to about half capacity… we’re recovering nicely.

It was the best possible quake because the people of the Pacific Northwest aren’t fully cognizant of the seismic danger we all live in. Sure, we all know we’re “due” for “the Big One,” but it’s kind of a joke. The general population was woefully unprepared for this event. Standing around in the parking lot following the evacuation, talking to people, I found that almost nobody knew what to do during the quake. Many people went into doorways, even though this old advice is now outdated and even considered dangerous by many disaster experts. Nobody considered the risk of explosively shattering windows. Virtually nobody had a first-aid kit in the car, or food or water back at the house. Nobody I talked to had anchored their shelves, strap-secured their water heater, or anything else.

This region desperately needed a wake-up call. We’re not like Southern California; we don’t get a small quake every now and then to keep the danger fresh in our mind. We see occasional reports on the news, we hear about the latest research and we know our officials are running drills and drafting plans, but we in the general population don’t really internalize the risk. We get a quake of this size every thirty to forty years; with that kind of gap, it’s very easy to forget about it, to push it to the back of the mind, to dismiss the danger as being so rare as to not be worth thinking about.

We needed a wake-up call, and we definitely got one. And as I said, with the quake’s depth, distance, and duration, and with our surprisingly low rates of damage and casualty, we got the best possible wake-up call we could have hoped for.

But in many ways, it was also the worst. We got very, very, very lucky. We were not adequately prepared, and we were extraordinarily fortunate. One purely random factor, for example: We’ve had very little rainfall this winter. The water table is low, and the ground is much drier than it usually is at this time of the year. Therefore, by sheer luck, the earthquake created much less mudflow/slippage than it otherwise might have in a normal year, and the number of landslides was cut to a fraction of the potential.

We cannot confuse our outrageously good luck with adequate preparation. We cannot get complacent. We cannot look at the minimal damage and the few casualties and assume that we’re ready for another one, that we did just fine and don’t need to do anything more. We’re here because of good fortune, and good fortune alone. This event could have been much, much, much worse. That it wasn’t is due to luck, random chance, the grace of God, whatever you want to call it – not because of anything we did.

Our officials demonstrated incredible organization, planning, and efficiency; this is one aspect of our city, county, and state governments in which we can legitimately, for once, take pride. However, they’re only part of the picture. We as citizens must take responsibility as well, and must participate in necessary preparations. When the next earthquake hits, one that may well be stronger, shallower, longer, we can’t expect the government to take care of us. In a major quake, we’re all on our own. We have to take responsibility for our own lives and safety.

If this quake had been just a little shallower, if it had been on a different fault, if it had lasted just a little longer, we would be looking at a very different outcome. We have no emergency food stores in our region; we have huge warehouses dedicated to this purpose, but they stand empty. We have a complacent, undereducated, unprepared population. This quake was just big enough, just long enough, and in just the right location to scare the hell out of us without crippling the region. We need to take advantage of our incredibly good luck, and prepare ourselves for the next one.

We dodged a major bullet. We have absolutely no assurance that we’ll be anywhere near as fortunate the next time.

While I’m sympathetic to those who suffered actual harm during the quake, for me it was an unscheduled holiday. I work for Boeing, at the Kent Space Center, and we were sent home after the quake Wednesday and weren’t allowed to return until today (Friday). No harm to me or mine. A few CD’s fell off the entertainment center.

p.s. I’m not actually going to work today – Mrs. Pluto and I had our 24th wedding anniversary on Monday but waited till today to celebrate. We’re going to the John Singer Sargent exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum. We originally intended to also visit the Titanic exhibit at the Pacific Science Center but discovered, after plans were made, that it doesn’t open till Saturday. Oops.

p.p.s. For those of you keeping track, the 24th anniversary is the “nice note, and maybe dinner out somewhere” anniversary.

p.p.p.s. I think Cervaise covered the good and bad of the quake very well but I have one quibble: There are storehouses full of food in the region. In fact, I spent Thursday delivering food from just such a storehouse to needy people in Centralia, Olympia and Tacoma. The Mormon Church isn’t generally well received on these boards, but emergency preparedness is one thing we do well.

pluto: I’ve served as a safety planner in several previous companies. My information comes directly from Red Cross training in disaster planning and mitigation, which I have regularly attended over the last six years.

Yes, it’s true that many private organizations maintain food stores. However, we have nothing comparable to the warehouses of nonperishable goods in California and other locations. Those communities have official government-organized and -sponsored food-supply networks. L.A., for example, beyond its city warehouses, has made arrangements with their local grocery chains to open up their storage facilities as well. Southern California, in the event of a major seismic event, has enough food to supply every single one of its citizens for over four days. What we have in Seattle – which is to say, all the private organizations’ goods combined – could feed our population for barely one day. Given how poorly the average person is prepared, this is a very serious problem.

I’m very glad your church and similar organizations are picking up this slack. Without this effort, we would have no warehoused food at all. The city and county have leased storage space for this purpose, but as I said, it’s basically empty. A few years ago, the powers that be decided to shift their budgetary priorities away from food and other long-term necessities, and toward retrofits, architectural review, and the like. This makes a certain amount of sense: There’s no point storing food if everybody gets killed when the buildings and bridges fall down. But we’ve made a lot of progress on that front, and it’s time to turn our attention to other priorities.

Private organizations like yours provide a valuable social service, but they shouldn’t have to – and can’t – bear the entire brunt of keeping people fed after a disaster.

Excuse my lameness, but I just moved to the PNW; I have a wealth of tornado safety info, but know practically nothing about what to do in an earthquake.

How exactly does one strap down a water heater? And why is standing in doorways dangerous? Are you supposed to go underneath a desk? (That’s what I did.)

Thanks.

Thanks, Cervaise. I agree we could do a lot more. It was the juxtaposition of your comments and just having been at the storehouse that very day that triggered my response. And you’re right – all the food in the storehouse couldn’t feed all of Kent, much less all of King County, for any significant amount of time. But I wanted to point out there was some food around.

And, MsWhatsit, the best way to strap down a water heater is to go to Home Depot and buy a water-heater-strap and do whatever they tell you to do. (Essentially it’s just a metal strap that anchors the water heater to something stronger than your water pipes. It’s not so much that you don’t want the water heater wandering away as it is that you don’t want your water pipes broken.) I didn’t know there was anything wrong with a doorway (is there?). Under the desk was a good idea. I read in the Times that they got some pre-schoolers to get under their desks by throwing cookies there!

The problem with doorways is that the doors can slam shut on your fingers. If you’re in some sort of a brick-type building, though, a doorway probably IS a good place to be, since brick construction falls apart in sizable quakes. Getting under something like a desk or table is a good bet; my grandma in Issaquah told me she got under her dining table, though by the time she got there it was pretty much over. (She’s eighty and isn’t too fast-moving these days.) Running for the outdoors isn’t a good idea either; things can fall on you outside, though the urge does seem to be built into us.

During Northridge I was in bed and remained in bed, waiting for the ceiling to finally fall and kill me. Obviously it didn’t. I didn’t have the chance to think of getting under my desk as I was woken up from a sound sleep and was highly confused and also frightened half to death. I was lucky a bookcase didn’t fall on me…

QUICK HIJACK–
Hey Bumbazine, I thought I was the only Portland area Doper, I’ve never seen anybody else from here! Whats up… what part?
End HIJACK–

I think my girlfriend was the only person who did not feel this stupid earthquake. I called her cell phone to see if she was OK and she didn’t believe it happened until she got to her class and everybody was talking about it.

We got evacuated from our building for about half an hour before we were finally allowed to work again. <darn it all!>

I keep hearing about Seattle… any Olympia Dopers here who can say how their city is doing? I know the capital building is all messed up! How about the rest of the city.

My parents and grandparents live in Olympia, where the damage is much, much worse. They live in wood-frame houses, so got away pretty lucky, but one of my grandparents’ chimneys is cracked.

The state capitol dome is screwed up pretty badly, and will be off-limits for the foreseeable future. Some big masonry buildings downtown (including a bank) simply fell apart. The biggest problem is the Fourth Avenue Bridge, which is a long-standing headache for the city because of the way it bottlenecks traffic between the West Side and downtown. It’s totally out of commission, meaning there’s an even worse bottleneck on the long way around.

The other problem with doorways (other than getting fingers slammed) is that in many modern office buildings, the interior walls are essentially nonsecured. Doorways are fine in most houses, because their frame is built into the frame of the house, and provide some additional support. In most office settings, the door frames are anchored only to the wall, and the wall essentially “floats” underneath the false ceiling. There’s very little support there; the doorway could just flop over with the wall at any time. That’s why desks and tables are much, much safer.

I heard on the news last night that the entire dome had rotated one-eighth of an inch.