Sentence Clara Harris!

20, with the parole Board deciding if she should go earlier. Ran him over TWICE = no accident. Still, calling the maid to toss out his stuff could just have meant she initially intended to just throw his ass out of the house, and later when confronted she snapped and decided to kill 'im.

It would be interesting to hear what people would say if a cheating wife was run over by her husband.

I do believe in the death penalty. Let someone (the daughter?) run over her with a car.

I don’t think this is a case where “some people deserve to be killed” applies.

I’m in the group that happens to think that if the roles were reversed that the guy would get no sympathy here. So why should she? I say give her the max allowable by law.

Amp, you beat me to it. If HE had run HER over for cheating, the discussion would be dramatically different.

So ignoring gender I say murder is murder. Yes there are mitigating and extenuating circumstances (as there always are and thus do murderers get different sentences)

I don’t know what the right sentence should be, I’m just glad there’s going to be a sentence at all. Right until the"guilty" verdict was announced, I was inclined to believe her crocodile tears would get her a hung jury, at worst (if not an outright acquittal).

As long as she does SOME real prison time (2, 5, 10, 20 years, I’m flexible) and doesn’t end up on the talk show circuit next week, I’ll be satisfied.

Just in case anyone is wondering why she isn’t up for the death penalty, in Texas capital murder consists of only:

1. murder of a peace officer or fireman in the course of thier duties (if you know them to be a peace officer/fireman);

2. murder of a person while committing kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation;

3. “murder for hire”, either employer or employee;

4. various murders committed while incarcerated;

5. murders of more than one person during one criminal transaction or pursuant to a scheme or course of conduct;

6. murder of a person under six years of age.

So she’s only guilty of simple murder. Just in case you thought we were getting soft on the death penalty here in Houston.

Indeed, the daughter was in the car.

Fry her.

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning… people are cheering this woman on because she was the victim of adultery, the symbol of every woman who’s ever been cheated on. And yet, if it was a man who had been cheated on and ran over his wife, he’d have a needle full of death in his arm as soon as possible, or at least be “cast down among the Sodomites,” to quote The Shawshank Redemption.

Gender isn’t an excuse for murder either. Anyone who said “he got what was coming to him” should consider carefully how it would look if the tables had been turned.

I’ll say it again: she made her choice. Now she gets to live with it, hopefully in prison, for the longest sentence allowable.

Well, of course not! She accomplished what she set out to do, and it’s not like her husband is going to be spontaneously springing back to life any time soon…

That reminds me of the old joke about the man accused of killing both his parents. His lawyer pleads for leniency from the court, on the grounds that his client is an orphan.

:wink:

Barry

How is this even remotely foreseeable? If she were to get probation, remarry an adulterer and catch him in the act, I see no reason to think that she wouldn’t “snap” again.

Every time I see these things, I am reminded of why I have a distaste for defense counsel. Could someone explain to me what this means:

It upsets me this clown seems to think that cheating on your wife deserves to get you run over 3 times in a car while your daughter watchs in the very car that is killing you.

And I have a problem with the “sudden passion” possibility, because she knew about the affair for awhile. How can she say she all of a sudden was passionate about it because SHE knew about it, but still SHE followed him, SHE saw what she knew she’d find, and then SHE ran him over 3 times. To me, it seems incongrous to argue sudden passion when you knowingly put yourself in a place to be “suddenly passionate.”

I am also surprised as heck that somebody could commit murder and get probation. Even if it is “sudden passion,” the idea that somebody would never have to even set foot in a prison amazes me.

All that being said, I figure she’ll get 10 years, at 50%, so she’ll probably be out in 4 years, 8 months or so. That strikes me as bit on the short end, but when the victim’s father takes the stand in your defense, that helps.

I’m glad I don’t live next door to the morons that are “cheering her on.” Moida is moida but being a softy I say minimum 5 years behind bars and a buttload of probation. Of course, if they decide to throw the book at her I’d say it’s justice. Bad marriages don’t justify murder. I wonder what his side of the story was?

Aw, c’mon, Hamlet, what was the poor guy supposed to say? “Yeah, well, we were hoping she’d get accquitted or at least a lesser charge, but she did run the guy over 3-5 times so we’re not surprised.” You know no defense attorney can walk out on the courthouse steps and say that! They’re paid to take usually distasteful but necessary positions and say nice things about murderers. Surely you don’t despise every defense attorney you go up against? :wink:

That being said, I’ll be surprised if she gets less than 20 years, this being Harris County. With the jury sitting back there mulling over the grisly autopsy photos she’s got a better chance of winning the Texas lottery than she does of getting probation.

Actually, I’d say the same thing: If you play with fire, expect to be burned. If you’re going to throw it up in your spouse’s face that you have lied and cheated, if you’re going to walk away hand-in-hand with your lover right in front of him/her, you’d better be prepared to duck. Because there’s a real possibility that your spouse may not be in the most rational mood for awhile.

Even the meekest person can turn into a raving lunatic if pushed too far.

Of course, she SHOULDN’T have run her husband over with her car. For his part, he shouldn’t have provoked an already hysterical woman by walking away hand-in-hand with his lover. He also should have NEVER let his daughter get into a car with an extremely distressed and angry woman. Instead he was focused on his lover. That speaks VOLUMES about his character. Asshat.

Sentence: 10 years.

well, looks like a 20 year sentence.

20 years in the pokey is good. She’ll be a wrinkled-up, harmless prune danish when she gets sprung. And, for 20 years, she can also bone up on her root canals (snort).

Sprung…root…bone…heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

When she gets out and the daughter…who will spend all that time wondering why she didn’t reach over and take the key out of the ignition when she said “I could kill him now and get away with it!”…when the daughter runs her down with a car at the gates of the prison, what defense will be used?

It’s all conjecture, hang the bitch and be done with it.

She’s no hero, and he’s no martyr. With any luck the daughter will survive without being TOO horribly damaged, and she can stop the bloodline. Maybe he had a good beatin’ comin, and perhaps being destroyed financially or whatever, but this, this was vehicular homocide, totally unwarranted for a case like this. The crime seems premeditated, but even if it wasn’t, he’s not alive anymore, and that fact is her fault. Swing Clara Swing.