Series that you went into cold on DVD

Freaks and Geeks, Weeds, Archer, Workaholics, Ugly Betty and The Riches, all of which I loved.

I found it quite entertaining. The acting and effects might not be all that exciting for modern viewers–but I thought it was well written with interesting ideas and had a charismatic cast.

It jumps BIG TIME between seasons 2 and 3 although it was faltering during 2, all of season 1 is a high point including the finale which reveals the identity of the big bad. I think they realized the show was running out of steam and decided to take a big game changing twist at the end of season 2 which sadly didn’t pan out.

Murphy Brown won Best Comedy TWICE and neither season is available on DVD, so if you ever see the first season in the $4.99 bin, be forewarned that that’s it.

Why did it do so badly? Probably because it was so topical. A lot of the references are outdated. There are only so many Dan Quayle and George Stephanopolous jokes one can hear.

Also, because of the series’ heavy use of Motown songs as a soundtrack, the DVDs would be expensive to produce. This is why The Wonder Years was never released.

If one wanted to make a DVD collection of the all of the sitcoms to win an Emmy for Best Comedy Series the last 50 years, there would be only four missing:

1970 My World and Welcome to It
1988 The Wonder Years
1990 Murphy Brown
1992 Murphy Brown

Oh, Sherlock. Watched it one afternoon because the plumber was over and I didn’t want to be playing video games. LOVED IT.

I knew just about nothing about Veronica Mars other than hearing a few recommendations here. After watching the 1st episode I wound up watching all 3 seasons in about a week. It’s on a short list of shows I enjoy re-watching too.

Fiefly, From The Earth To The Moon, Band of Brothers, and Breaking Bad.

When From the Earth to the Moon was running, I was on a job with a significant travel requirement, and a lot of hotels did not have HBO. I so wanted to see this series, but had to wait for the DVD release.

Both Firefly and Band of Brothers happened when I was having a fun time just keeping a roof over my head and food on the table; luxuries like TV were not in the budget.

And my missing Breaking Bad was only on accident; I was accidentally stupid!

I had seen previews for the upcoming Season 1 debut the few times I was on AMC, thought that it would be an interesting series, and had fully intended to watch it…and then got busy with other “life stuff” and forgot all about it until half-way through season 2! :smack::smack::smack:

I came to Alias late, on DVD, and loved it despite latter season flaws. Great strong female character, really strong supporting cast

count me for Breaking Bad. When I saw Bryan Cranston won his 3rd Emmy in a row I thought “well no, maybe this show MIGHT be good. I guess I’ll give it a try…”

I watched all 3 seasons that were out at that point in 8 days.