Seriously, this thread is closed?

The argument against that is that was not the focus of the thread AND it did not derail the thread at all, so why close the ENTIRE thread. Why not just say, “Hey, put the talk about men and abortion on hold until further notice. I need to check the interpretation of a rule with a couple of other mods.”

Do you know of a way to close part of a thread? I can’t seem to find that button in the moderator controls.

I mean, we could just hand out Warnings for all of the offending posts, I suppose, if you think that would be more fair than temporarily closing the thread to discuss options.

That’s disingenuous. They gave you one option of how to do it.

In fact, an option that is quite often used.

Yes I do. Tell the posters to not discuss the topic under penalty of being modded.

As a moderator you are surely familar with the practice of posting a modnote telling participants in a thread to drop a particular topic of discussion, without closing the whole thread? As you did here, for example.

I completely agree. I see nothing in that thread that violates either the intent, the letter, or the spirit of that rule.

It seems to me the rule is in the same category of broad prohibition as “scientific racism”, encouraging discrimination against minorities, etc. As a rule that prohibits the advocacy of male genetic superiority or that “men are somehow naturally entitled to be in charge”, the rule makes sense, but it’s hard to see how it applies to this thread.

True, it’s not a draconian action, and kudos to What_Exit for at least acknowledging some reservations about the action, but that isn’t the point. The point that is being made here is that, as noted above, there were no grounds for taking any action at all.

A mod note. Although in my view even a mod note wouldn’t be needed here.

I do.

Subscribe to my channel for more helpful information.

I am not sure how you can say that. The topic was supposed to be about codifying marriage rights. Halfway down, it became about abortion rights. The original subject was entirely subsumed and lost. There was not even a hint of discussion about it. Typically, mods would excise and move the abortion rights posts, as was done repeatedly in the Russia-Ukraine thread, and restore the original thread to a relatively coherent state.

I talked to the OP and it was about both marriage and reproductive (conception and abortion) rights.

I have to say that I personally don’t think the topic is problematic and I expect it will get reopened with a mod note setting some guidelines to make sure the topic doesn’t veer into rule-breaking territory.

I do think that this was an abundance of caution but I don’t think it’s an egregious one. Just see what happens after the mod discussion.

Agreed. And in that vein I should add that my reason for making my somewhat lengthy earlier post here was not to be critical, but rather in the hope that, along with all the other arguments here, it would sway the decision in the right direction. There was no reason for that thread to be closed.

Kind of interesting that the only three people that support it being closed are mods. Us common folk seem in agreement that it wasn’t even mod note-worthy.

Yeah, I don’t see the big deal here.

There are still places like that on the internet, though some of them have trouble finding and keeping web hosting services.

They are not us.

Yeah, it’s only recently we could talk much about the Mary Jane.

Seems to be a lot of that bullshit going around lately.

I tend to be of the opinion of “dude, slow your roll, give 'em a minute to think about it, then bitch.” I can wait a day, though I do agree the moderation may have been leaning a bit on the overly strict side lately.

Yes, there is. Too much.

Especially on the tiniest bit of thread drift that certain mods don’t like. We’ve been told over the years that a certain amount of thread drift is expected, but recently three mods are jumping on it when it’s not a problem.

Really, absolutely nobody asked anyone to close part of a thread. Pretty much every poster here thinks it shouldn’t been closed at all. It’s like you didn’t even read this thread before you responded. Thanks for the condescending tone too. It always makes a thread run smoother when a mod treats posters like idiots.

What do you mean? It is in the title about “reproductive” rights and the second point, the last sentence of the proposition is that everyone has a right to abortion. It’s plain as day.