Settle a disagreement. How do you cut your toenails?

After the bath, definitely. Easier then, specially Mom’s, which are so thick that nailclippers can’t manage the job…

Oh, the shape?

Nobody in my family has ever had nail health problems (other than Mom’s being to thick). Those of us whose toenail habits I’m familiar wirh cut them shorter than the fingernails, therefore straighter, but clip off a big at each side. If we cut them completely straight they’re either too short (and then that toe hurts in shoes) or too long (bye-bye knee-high hose; shoes get deformed faster).

Mom’s a diabetic, so she was sent to the podologist to talk about toenail-clipping. She asked me to do her toenails right beforehand, so the doc would see how we do it and be able to decide if this is adequate, it had to be done a different way or she needed to come to the office for clipping. Doc said it was fine so long as we didn’t clip any shorter. We’ve been doing her toenails for years, since she can’t reach (arthrosis is fun - not).

Rounded, after a bath or at least a foot soak because they’re thick bastards, lifting the corners out of the nail bed with a file so that I don’t get ingrowing (never had that happen). If I cut straight across the corners get caught on too much crap, even if I round 'em off a little.

People’s nailbeds, like other portions of their anatomies, are shaped differently. I have short, wide nails (which go with my short, wide hands and feet). No matter HOW much I spend on beauty products and services, I will never have long, slender nails. Or fingers or toes, either. So we each have to figure out how to best cut our nails. I go to a podiatrist because I’m diabetic, and I want to have a professional remove my calluses. Ever notice that all those foot files and callus removers have a warning not to use if you’re diabetic? There’s a reason for that. Diabetics heal slowly, and we generally have circulation problems, especially in our feet. I, for one, do not wish to have anything amputated.

Cut your toenails in a straight line. If you cut them in a curve, the subway train might lurch and you could hurt yourself.

So you’re supposed to cut straight across, but my toenail clippers have a rounded cutting surface. Ok, I can get new clippers.

But doesn’t cutting them straight leave sharp corners that would get caught on socks and cut nearby children and animals if you stumble into them?

I’ve never understood this either. When I get square toes I’ll cut the nails on them square, otherwise they follow the rounded shape. If I let them grow long enough to cut them square, I’d end up ripping a nail off if it caught on a carpet or something.