Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (open spoilers)

Good point.

Watched it last night, loved this. I really liked the way the CGI was able to bring Chinese mythological elements to life, without making it into some bland robotic Michael Bay thing. For example the Chinese dragon looks totally badass and lifelike, yet wouldn’t be out of place in a Chinese New Year parade. Similarly I like the way the magical/supernatural tech came to life (Ten Rings effects), etc.

I thought I was basically done with the Marvel universe at this point, but this was a really novel and welcome departure IMO.

My family really liked it.

I felt it dragged a bit in the middle, to be honest. But the opening part and the final part was great. I think after they get to the other dimension, it slowed a bit. But once the actually battle occurred, it was really great.

I will be there for Shang-Chi 2 whenever they make it. I’m hoping 2023, but I haven’t even heard a release date yet.

Finally got to see it, this weekend (no way was I going to the theater). I loved it: I’ve already watched it three times, since Friday. Immediately jumped to my #2 favorite MCU movie!

Ruiwen.

The great thing about comic books (and, by extension, comic book movies) is that it’s not a “plot hole,” until the story is done being told, and it still hasn’t been explained yet. Until then, it’s not a plot “hole,” it’s just a plot point that hasn’t been resolved, yet.

One question about the mid credits scene. Banner seemed to be just Banner again, but he was half and half in Endgame. Did I miss when he changed back?

No, you didn’t miss anything. If look around on the web, you can find some behind the scenes discussions of why Bruce wasn’t Smart Hulk anymore, but nothing has appeared on-screen (yet) to explain it.

For that matter, his transformation into Smart Hulk occured off-screen, as did how he wound up as the Champion of Battleworld or whatever it was in Thor: Ragnarok. I think it’s kind of become a running gag in the MCU that whenever Bruce/the Hulk shows up, he’s clearly also had a solo movie or two since we’ve last seen him, we just never actually get to see those movies themselves, only their after-effects.

Oh my god yes. So, first off, Katy gets super excited about this BMW M8 that she and Shaun go joyriding in. Right off the bat you know that BMW product placement is going to be cringy. Then the bus runs over not one, but two street-parked BMW i8s. What are the odds? Although that was subtle.

And then the BMW X3 hybrid, a car that nobody would think of as a serious off-roader, that Razorfist, what, had modded out as a fun commuter car? For commuting to his secret Ten Rings job? Why does he even have a car?

On top of that, the entire forest maze plot seems to have been made up to give the X3 something to do. My 10 year old asked, “Why don’t they just take a helicopter?” Good question. Why does the magic ancient bamboo forest expect things to be moving at 50mph? What did the ancient ones do before internal combustion? Agh.

On Disney + there is a sneak peek of upcoming MCU TV shows including She Hulk which shows Banner unpowered. I’m not sure if that’s where he gets the broken arm, though.

We watched it on Disney+ this weekend. Overview: it was great! Starts off as a kung-fu movie in the style of Jackie Chan, then some wuxia, then a Chinese gangster film, then a kaiju fight. All the leads were great.

The person who sent the letter is the same person that killed the Sternwood’s chauffeur.

In the She-Hulk teaser he’s still Smart Hulk as well, so perhaps we’ll learn there.

They also show him as human, where Jennifer says, “You won’t like me when I’m angry.” but maybe that was just the actors hamming it up out of character for a promo.

That part looked weird-Ruffalo looked like a waxwork.

Isn’t that the same shirt he was wearing at Wong’s?

It looks like it although the color in the stinger was washed out due to hologram-ing.

His father did. He wanted to lure them both to come to him with their amulets.

Yes. As his dad said, he knew exactly where his children were. He blamed his wife’s death on his not being vigilant enough - no way was he going to let the same thing happen to his children. They were under constant observation.

Saw it last night, really liked it. One question though

I thought it was going to be revealed that the man Shang-Chi killed was Katy’s grandfather. Because that’s how stories work. Did that happen and I missed it? Did they decide not to do that because of a very similar story in the Falcon/Captain America & Winter Soldier tv show?

That’s a spoiler for the next Shang-Chi movie. :wink:

Here’s why:

Following the trope that superhero besties have to have a falling out, we know that Shaun and Katy will be at odds sometime in the sequel until they patch things up.

Okay, might not be a murdered grandpa.

I haven’t read anything about that, but if it’s true I’m glad they dropped it.