Share your best personally experienced coincidences

Coincidence or “proof” of something like telepathy/spookyness?

During high school one of my closest friends moved hundreds of miles away. Not too long after that I awoke one night and could swear something was sleeping on top of the covers (it felt like a cat). Upon getting a little more awake I realized we currently did NOT have a cat. OMG its a rat or something! I layed there in terror for a bit then lept up and hit the lights. Nothing there of course.

Get a call later from the old friend. That same night and at about the same time he had the same thing. Except they had cats. But he didn’t like cats on the bed so he pushed it off with his feet. Then it attacked him and apparently it got pretty violent. Except it wasn’t a cat. It was a ferret that had escaped from its owner, found the friends house, came in the pet door, and decided to crash there.

Was my friends nighttime ordeal sending mental distress waves through the ether to me?

I know you said not to ask, so I don’t need the story on “why”… but I never knew it was POSSIBLE to change one’s birthday? How did you go about doing it??

This reminds me of back when I had a ferret, and she escaped. We put up missing signs around the neighborhood and someone found her and called–he came home and she was sitting on his bed. I have no idea how she escaped, how she got into his house, or how she climbed onto the bed. I was glad to have her back. (We had to give her away after I had Dominic though, because she would scratch and bite him and he was just a helpless infant. We didn’t want to put him in a cage, so we gave him away to a friend.)

When I was in Kindergarten through second grade I met my BFF. This all came crashing to a halt when my parents moved and I was in tears because I wouldn’t see my BFF anymore.

Third grade, dreading the new school, I run into my BFF again! Her parents had divorced and her mom had also moved with us ending up in the same class four years in a row!

My parents moved again in fourth grade, and we lost touch with each other.

Fast forward seven years to my sophomore year of high school. My parents moved again. Sitting in home room, we are told to welcome someone who just enrolled that day. Yep my BFF was back! Started my school career and graduated with the same BFF.

Was the most awesome coincidence in my life.

Here’s mine. My son lives in Seattle and we visit him usually twice a year. On one of these visits, my younger son happened to be with us and we all went to the Japanese garden inside the Seattle Botanical garden. My younger son happened to be wearing a McGill blazer. I don’t know why since he had never gone there and was, in fact, a student at Northwestern. At some point, he came over to me and told me that that man over there asked if he was a McGill student and he said no, but mentioned that this father taught there. Whereupon the man asked to talk to me. So I went over and introduced myself and he told me his son was a student at McGill. One of maybe 25,000. So I said “Oh” without much interest. Then he told me his son was a graduate student in math. Well, that cut it down to maybe 50 students. So I asked his name and he told me his son was named J__ O___. I was astounded for I was the son’s PhD supervisor. Moreover, it turns out the father did not even live in Seattle but was on a trip from an Alaska vacation to his home in Houston and had stopped in Seattle (where, to be sure, his daughter lived). To my mind this was an outrageous coincidence because neither of us lived anywhere near Seattle.

When I was about 12 or 13, my Uncle flew up from Florida to bring me back from Michigan so I wouldn’t be spending my summer alone in a house while my mom was busy with work and caring for my aging grandparents. I was completely cool with this, as one could imagine.

In the airport in Orlando, my Uncle, a WW2 ( who was alot like John Wayne in the way the movies protrayed him, even in looks.) sees a guy that he was stuck on a some kind of troop ship during WW2 with and shared very close quarters with waiting for the ice to break in Alaska. He hadn’t seen the guy since the war ended. They grinned, shook hands and did the “how ya doin’?/where you livin’” and never broke their stride as they each went their own seperate ways. That always blew my mind.
I spent two summers at my Uncle’s house and he had a modest little ranch with horses in-land. I had my picture taken on the same horse ( not a big deal, it was my favorite horse) wearing the exact same shirt and pig tails two summers in a row. If you think about teenage girls and their clothing issues, the chances of this happening are like abajillion to none.

Here’s one close to home. I’ve told this before, but it fits the thread perfectly.

Our beloved Little Nemo comes to Houston to visit relatives on pretty much an annual basis. We use his visits as an excuse to throw a HouDope.

At the first one I attended, I met Ringo. Turns out he is the younger brother of the first girl I ever kissed.

At a bartending job I had the owner’s wife was a psychotic bitch whom everyone hated; she was particularly nasty one evening and when I saw her head for the door I turned to my co-worker and said, “I hope that f–king bitch FLIPS HER F–KING CAR!”

Five minutes later the bar phone rang. It was one of the regulars, to ask if the owner’s wife was still driving that red Jeep…cuz it was flipped completely over about a mile down the road.

Yes, it was her Jeep.

In 2001 we moved to the UK from NZ, to a smallish village in the South of England. When we signed up at the local Medical center for a doctor (NHS, so you have no choice where you go) they said that one of their doctors was a Kiwi, so we would be assigned to her.

A few days later, my wife went for a visit. She spent the appointment trying to figure out why the new doctor was so familiar. Turns out that she was from the city we had left in NZ, and that my wife’s mother had been her practice nurse years previously.

Si

For those interested in birthday cooincidences there’s a good page on Wikipedia about the “Birthday Paradox”.

Essentially, if you put 57 people in a room there’s a 99% chance two will share a birthday, and there’s a 50% chance with just 23 people.

I was reading a book that reminded me of this one. The book mentioned a “Canadian’s list of complaints”, one of which was annoying people who say “You’re from Toronto? Hey, do you know X?”

Well, when I lived in Oxford a friend of mine from Toronto and I were walking down a side street and we got to talking about our time at the University of Toronto. The person walking in front of us suddenly wheeled around and asked me, “Hey, do you know Wendy _____ ?” Er, actually yeah…she was in my Tudor England class, where it was just her, me, and one other person. “Are you Duke? Because she was in Oxford last week and was looking for you.”

My husband and I were vacationing in Paris. The first evening there, we left the hotel and started meandering. We stayed off the beaten track, wandered up and down side streets and saw nary a tourist–few Parisiens either, though it was not a sketchy neighborhood in the least and only a block or two from the Champs d’Elysees.

We stopped at a corner to flip a coin for our next turn, and another couple walked up beside us, heading from the opposite direction and looking like they were ready to perform their own coin flip. The man was wearing a Red Sox cap, and my husband loves to chat up strangers so he commented on it. After some “hi-how-are-yous, and where-are-you-froms” we learned that not only did the couple live in the same town as my in-laws, and knew them, but that the woman was my MIL’s therapist!

Whenever we recollect that coincidence (at which we still boggle :eek:), my husband and I chuckle that HIPPA must not apply in Europe.

I went to high school in Houston, and my Biology teacher set me up with a girl in her class who sat in the front- we ended up being good friends, and hung out for several years- seeing each other every day or two, close circle of friends, etc. After a decade, or so, she decides she is lesbian, and while we are still friends, we don’t see each other as much, as we now have different friend circles.

As we are pretty good friends, I know that she has a boyfriend that she is off and on with for most of that time- and all the time she is ‘off’ with that other boyfriend, she is dating my best friend, until she became a lesbian.

I get a job in college working for Dave and Buster’s and I make a new mini-circle of friends- folks who I hang out several times a week, and see almost daily in normal life.

One night, I am coming back from hanging out with my friend, the now-lesbian. I walk into the coffee shop we frequent, and a guy, Shawn, is in there with TC. When they ask what I have been up to, I mention that I was hanging out with my friend who is now a lesbian and don’t see much of. Shawn looks at me oddly and asks where she works. I say the name of the place- a large restaurant chain.
TC looks at me oddly and says, “Big truck is rumbling.”
TC is a wierd dude, so I don’t say anything.
Shawn asks me her name.
I say, “There’s no way you know her, we would have met before. I only know one girl who came out.”
TC says, “Big truck rumbling louder!”
Shawn says, “I only know one person too- what is her name?”
I say, “Karen.”
TC says, “BIG TRUCK HERE!”
And Shawn says my friend’s last name.

The shoe drops, and I realize that I have been hanging out with Karen’s ex-boyfriend for several years- and he totally knows me and all about me as well. We have seen pictures of the other with the other circle of Karen’s friends for years, on and off.

TC is flipping out, shouting, “Wham! Big truck just ran us all over!”

It was really odd we never figured it out before- we ALL frequented the same places, but we hadn’t ever come across the other in circumstances where we would figure it out. The places we hung out with each other were different than the places we hung out with the others…

Anyway. Another is that my first relationship, the first girl I lived, and with whom I had my first really bad breakup was someone I met in Houston, when I was 19.

Fast-forward fifteen years, and I am living in San Francisco. I come across a personals ad- and the person is really cool! She knows all these really obscure punk bands I love, etc. When she emails me back, it is her! I had no idea she was in the Bay Area, and she didn’t know I was! I had actually been trying to get her phone number in Houston to see if I could reconnect, but hadn’t had any luck.

We hung out a few times, but the spark had already come and gone. I have since met several people who know her- she is big in Burning Man, actually having landed a job with the base organization.

Okay, I’ve got two. One is just a repeat of many others’ “meeting someone you know in a weird place” stories, the other is downright freaky.

First: Shortly after leaving a job at one arts institution for another job at a different arts institution, I was sent on a business trip to Indianapolis, a software training conference. Since I don’t fly, I took the train, which had a two hour “layover” in Chicago. I’d never been to Chicago before and I figured, hey, I’ll go out and see whatever sights I can see in two hours. Unfortunately, it was only about 6:30AM, so not many places were open.

Anyway, I leave the train station to go for a walk, no map, no real destination, and the streets are almost eerily empty. I’m walking down this one street and I start feeling a little paranoid about walking in a completely strange city’s empty streets. Then I see someone walking toward me, a woman – the first person I’ve seen in Chicago since leaving the train station – and when she gets closer, I stop and almost shout: “Barbara?!!” Yes, it’s a woman I used to work with at my last job. She still worked at that job, but she was in town for some business reason.

The second coincidence is way better. Okay. So, I’m a major Anglophile, going way back. Starting in my college years, about 25 years ago, I began to recognize this one song that seemed to crop up in dozens of British films/TV shows. The only lines I ever remembered at the time were:

“And did those feet, in ancient times, walk upon England’s mountains green…”

(Yeah, every British person knows what this is, and probably most Anglophiles do too.)

Mostly I knew it from several Monty Python episodes, but it also appeared in Chariots of Fire (appropriately enough as it turns out, as that’s part of the lyric) and even a short film in a Lenny Henry episode I watched on Bravo.

Anyway, I didn’t know what it was, and back then there wasn’t a WWW for me to do a quick lyric look-up of what this song was. But it became one of those things that nagged at me. What the hell was this song and why is it in every other British film/show? No one I knew could identify it.

So, in 1991, after graduating college, my friend and I moved to Manhattan. Like me, my friend was a singer, and we decided one day to go to Patelson’s, which was a very well-known music store (sadly no more). While she was browsing, I remembered this song again and thought I’d rummage around the old choral music bins (I was assuming it was a hymn) to see if I could find some old book of English church music. Nothing. Foiled.

Later, we left the store and were walking home. Several blocks into our walk, as we were crossing 57th and Fifth Avenue, I heard this woman several yards in front of us (she’d already reached the other side of the street) singing aloud to herself. Very loudly.

It was the song. She was singing the same damn song.

In utter shock, I dashed across the street, bolting away from my gobsmacked friend, to catch up with this stranger and ask her, “Excuse me, I’m sorry to bother you but I swear to God I was just trying to find the music to the song you’re singing. WHAT IS IT?”

“Jerusalem,” she said. “It’s a hymn, words by William Blake. Not sure of the composer, though. Perry something, I think?”

(Sir Hubert Parry, as I later found out.)

I’ve never before or since heard anyone singing that loudly on an NYC street, aside from buskers – not loudly enough for me to hear them from several yards away. And this is a relatively obscure song in the U.S., though as I said, every UK person knows it considering it’s basically an honorary National Anthem.

Bizarre. And hilarious.

Several. In one of them, I was riding on the NYC subway system with a friend, and the train kept starting and stopping while we were in the tunnels. I said to my friend, "Probably dogs on the tracks."He looked at me funny–typically, there’s no explanation for why a train keeps stopping and starting, and it’s never “Dogs on the tracks.”

A few minutes later, we got that explanation over the PA system. This was maybe forty years ago–I’ve never heard that explanation before or since.

This just happened yesterday and if this thread hadn’t already been started, I would have started a new one.

Along with a couple other DVD’s, we rented Unknown (2011) from Netflix back in late August and for whatever reason(s) just didn’t get around to watching it until yesterday.

It won’t be much of a spoiler to mention that the opening scenes in the movie make reference to “Thanksgiving Nov 24 Thursday” more than once.

As you may know the quickest a particular date can return to the same day of the week is five years (or six, or eleven, unless it’s Feb/29 which takes 28 years!). So this movie almost had to have been set for YESTERDAY!

I call that spooky.

FWIW, the movie is okay; maybe a 3-star.

This reminds me of a coincidence that also came to my attention only a few days ago.

There are seven phases of the Day-to-Date cycle. My wife and I are on the same phase, that is on years when my birthday is a Friday, hers will be too. (The odds against that are 6 to 1 a priori.) Our oldest child is also on the same birthday cycle. Not only that, but all three of us were born on the same Day of the Week. (Altogether a 2400 to 1 against parlay.)

There’s more. Although not born the same Day of the week, our son, my father, and my father’s father are also on the same birthday cycle as me, wife and daughter (that’s right, all six of us).

(While it did almost startle me, the odds against this are hardly phenomenal. For phenomenal odds I refer Dopers to the ghost/beehive/storm story I reported some months ago.)

My parents (from Texas) are on an Alaskan Cruise. They meet a man on the ship.
Parents-What kind of work do you do?
Man-I’m a Chaplain in the Army
Parents-Oh, our daughter is in the Air Force
Man-Where is she stationed?
Parents-In Turkey
Man-I’m stationed in Turkey. What is her name?
Parents-pudytat72
Man-I know her!
He was the Chaplain at an Army/Navy combined base in northern Turkey. I was a doctor at an Air Force Base in southern Turkey. I had volunteered to go to the northern base to see patients while the Army doctor was on leave.

It seems to me that there are actually fourteen phases. One person could be born in January or February and the other in a later month, which means that they would be in one phase during common years and a different one in leap years. For example, if one was born on February 27 and the other on March 5, those dates fall on the same weekday in leap years, but different ones in common years.

Oh shit, I forgot an especially stunning coincidence with my ex. He was telling me a funny anecdote about his endearingly wacky uncle and aunt, who sign themselves (say) “With love from the Baron Roderick van Flurg and the Lady Isadora Gryn-van Flurg.”

And I said (again changed), “Wait. Dora Gryn?”

“Yes.”

“Gryn, G-R-Y-N?”

“…yes…”

“And she used to live on xxxxxx Avenue in Winnipeg?”

“…yes?”

“And she used to work at a daycare centre in the 1980s?”

“…”

“YOUR AUNT WAS MY DAYCARE WORKER WHEN I WAS IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.”

And he went and asked her, and she immediately said, “Yes! matt_mcl! And his brother bro_mcl! And their parents dad_and_mom_mcl! They were my favourite daycare family! I remember when I heard on the radio that dad_mcl died, I was so sad! And matt_mcl tried to teach me to play chess, he even made me a construction paper chess set and I still have it somewhere!”

I remembered her name because she told me a funny anecdote about going to a country where they didn’t even have all the letters in her name in the alphabet. Somehow she mentioned what street she lived on and I remembered it, again don’t even ask me why. And for her to just come up in conversation, it was so random and bizarre. (The ex wasn’t even from Winnipeg, but from rural Manitoba, although he lives in Winnipeg now.)

Anyway, nowadays she runs an art gallery in Alberta. We’re Facebook friends.

Our town librarian has been working for the library since she was 5. ( yes, five.) It is a small town and she knows everyone.

She was on a cruise in Alaska with then husband, the first person she sees when she got off the boat at the dock was her old neighbor who now lived and worked in that town and she had no idea he was up there.
My cousin from Florida had taken a job up in Chicago, but lived in Wisconsin. She was out to dinner one night with friends and who sat down at the table next to them but another cousin who is from North Carolina and was in town to see her son who was doing something with the Navy.
I love coincidence stories.