Share your Covidiot stories

I cannot say, but my ex-wife, a Doctor of Audiology, had a lot of patients asking about ear-candling, to remove earwax. Ear-candling to remove earwax is woo, but so many patients were asking, that she started to wonder about it.

So, she decided to try it. But she did it scientifically: she used her clinic’s video otoscope to make sure she had no wax in her ears, and what little there was, was taken care of by a colleague. So, with ears free of wax, off she went to the ear-candler. Note that the ear-candler did not know that she was an audiologist, and she paid in full for the appointment.

Well, the ear-candler found gobs and gobs of earwax, which she came home with. As she said, “that’s a lot more than can be contained in an adult human’s ear canal,” and when she took it to a lab, it was identified as just plain beeswax. Apparently, the candles are pieces of cloth soaked in melted beeswax before they are formed into a candle shape, where the beeswax solidifies; and the cloth burns while the beeswax melts. End result: no cloth, but plenty of beeswax, which is proudly displayed as the removed earwax. She told all subsequent patients who asked about ear-candling that it was a fraud and a ripoff, and that they should not give their money to charlatans who claim that they can remove earwax through ear-candling.

I don’t know where she finished in her graduating class, but I admired her for using the scientific method to disprove woo, and to inform her patients of her experience and her findings. If more medical professionals adopted her attitude, and read/studied/experienced the science, then fewer would be promoting the woo.