Shawshank Redemption Question...

I find it unrealistic to believe that a prison warden would have even known about the posters. I don’t imagine most wardens go about a prison looking into the cells. The one time it does happen, he leaves on pretty good terms with Andy as they banter bible quotes back and forth.

Except that the poster is clearly present, in the scene you’re talking about. He even tells Andy that he doesn’t approve, but “exceptions can be made.”

I now wonder if Andy’s ability to get along with people and have them do his bidding is the sign of a sociopath. He is obviously a very intelligent person, and people simply like him and are on his side.

The whole thing about someone else confessing to his wife’s murder could be a hoax he would be able to conceive and carry out.

I’m going to have to re-read the original story from the view point of that idea.

He is innocent. Everyone’s innocent in prison.

Good one.

Except for Red, self-admittedly the only guilty man in Shawshank.

Or Andy might have put fresh tape on the bottom corners after climbing in the tunnel so that they would stick after he let it fall back into place.

This. I’m no chemist or expert but I imagine a long sewer pipe that… “Andy Dufresne, the man who crawled through 500 yards of shit and came out clean the other end…” would have insufficient oxygen, what with the chemical reactions from all that foul shit decaying in there.

What an inglorious end of life that would’ve been, right?

“Lawyer fucked me!”

He tunneled through the wall with a little rock hammer, but how did he cut through that thick piece of rebar visible in the escape scene?

Damn it - you are right. I went back. I had it confused with something else. :o

For the win!

New theory:

Andy made an escape attempt, but died in the sewer tunnel. His body was never discovered/recovered.

Red was eventually paroled, and struggled just like old Brooks had, and, like Brooks, committed suicide.

The whole trip to Mexico/meeting up with Andy was an “Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge” fantasy on Red’s part.