Shed a tear for the "dowdy shopper"

It looks like their different lengths start at a 30" inseam. I think I need to learn to hem pants.

Here’s another vote for Christopher and Banks (and C.J. Banks). If you’re willing to look past the appliques and go for the plain stuff, there are some nice, well-made, flattering (hooray!) pieces in there.

If you happen to be a tightwad, like me, take heart. They rotate stock very quickly, and there is almost always something nice on the sale rack. I pay between $10 and $15 for most things I buy there, and never ever more than $20. Even tightwadding it, I have many very nice things from the Banks family - my first find, a beautiful lightweight sweater, has lasted three seasons of moderate wear and still looks new.

Also Lands’ End, but only for tops and dresses. Their pants and skirts, for whatever reason, just look awful on me.

Becky, if I can learn to hem pants, so can you. :slight_smile:

I have a wonderful little woman who runs things up for me. She made me a copy of this Jean Louis dress Marilyn Monroe wore in Something’s Got to Give (I found the same fabric in the gomint district).

Unfortunately, I look less like “Marilyn Monroe in Something’s Got to Give” than like “Molly Goldberg on her way to the deli.”

Ah, always good to have a good seamstress at hand.

Or wear big sassy heels! :wink: