She's* not a tomboy, she's a boy

My junior high school did this, at the end of the eighth grade year (which was when everyone transitioned to high school). I think it was two or three nights in cabins, with outdoor classes. One I remember in particular had a teacher take us a half mile or so from the camp, blindfold us, and leave us to find our way back. I think the point was to get us to think logically, and pay attention to senses beyond vision.

Of course, this was back in 1976; don’t know if that would fly these days.

So they’re mum has informed us that Mary doesn’t want gender-specific pronouns anymore. And so from now on, Mary is either Mary, or they. Going to take a bit of getting used to, but shit, I coped with decimal currency and the introduction of the metric system…:slight_smile:

The school unfortunately is taking a ‘we’ll deal with the bullying when it occurs’ rather than taking a proactive stance…which is fucking disappointing. I think they’re hoping the Mary Issue will be shunted off to high school next year.

All good though. School camp is still next week, Mary and the other boys are sharing a cabin. They will have a fucking BLAST of a time. :slight_smile:

Sneak some candy bars to share into Mary’s duffle bag. Celebration time!

If you don’t mind a slight hijack what is proactive in this case? I’ve no kids or grandkids so have no knowledge how schools handle this. I assume they already have a no bullying policy. What else do they do?