Shocking!: woman claims winning lotto ticket not part of office pool

I am parked in front of her house today in an uplink truck. Mostly international press here following her around. I am getting harassed by some helpful neighbor for being here. I love being in the West Virginia part of Baltimore.

Trust me I am not here by choice.

I will post if I hear anything interesting.

Isn’t that area more like the Detroit part of Baltimore? I thought the West Virginia part of Baltimore was Cecil County. :wink:

No Brooklyn was actually heavily populated by people from West Virginia during WWII and stuck around after the war. And they have not changed much either.

And I am not trying to offend the good folks from West Virginia. In fact I think a case could be made that the folks who stayed in West Virginia were glad this group left. They are that bad.

Depends on your viewpoint. If you’re planning all along to pool other peoples’ money, and claim any winning ticket from that pool “happened to be a personal ticket you bought outside the pool,” and those pool contributors will fall for it, it’s not that stupid…just evil.

But isn’t this the single fundamental concern of lottery ticket pools? When creating such a pool, isn’t the overwhelmingly important issue “how will I be certain to get my share and not get cut out of the action by an unscrupulous pool organizer, perhaps dazzled by the sudden opportunity?”

I would think distribution of (legible) photocopies before the drawing, perhaps backed up by mutual agreement (say, via e-mail) that “everything is in order,” is the sine qua non of putting money into the pool in the first place.

What else would you do with them? I agree that photocopying tickets everyone getting a copy is important but I wouldn’t leave the actual tickets just lying around the office. Even our secure file cabinets can be broken into with a nail file and 2.8 seconds effort.

This is all getting far too complicated. If it were up to me, I’d ban office ticket pools. There is no reason anyone who wants to play the lottery can’t play it on their own dime on their own time and not make messes like this.

When I am involved in an office pool I make sure to buy any and all personal tickets from a different location at a different time.

Did she then beg the reporter not to throw her into the brier patch?

No that’s a pretty spot-on Bawlmore accent.

I don’t participate in any kind of office pools. But I’ll note that football pools are explicitly banned in every office in which I’ve worked, and they usually thrive despite the ban, taking up a certain amount of time and attention during the workday – despite being banned.

Ah. Well if I were her co-workers I’d think twice about messing with Snoop.

I’d like them to be banned here, too. There was a huge hullaballoo here, with everyone trying to make me feel guilty for not participating. Which I didn’t. It’s not worth the $2 for me. And then I found out later someone had put $2 in for me. :smack: I am grateful at the gesture, but…

When I was in the office pool we had a deadline for getting your money in. Someone could front it for you, but it had to be in the day before the draw so the tickets could be purchased and everyone have copies of the tickets before the draw.

If you didn’t have it in, or no one would front you, too bad so sad.

We also had print outs of the contract from the lotto website for groups. (Essentially all these people bought in, attached are copies of the tickets and all winnings will be split evenly.) I don’t know if the US has stuff like that or not.

Which would be odd, because when I heard her on the news this morning, I would have sworn she had some sort of Caribbean accent.

And Google says she’s a Haitian immigrant, so that makes her accent make more sense to me.

You are right. I didn’t know that when I posted. However incomprehensibility is a Baltimore trademark, so the mistake is honest.

And that’s not even half of it! At the company I used to work for, I would have banned them if I thought I could get away with it without an uprising.

First of all, you’ve got someone who has to go around and collect the money. All their time doing so, and that of each of the workers they interact with (with additional time taken by inevitable unrelated chatting) - all that time can add up quickly.

Then you’ve got all the copies that have to be made, and then distributed. In my company, and in larger companies, this can add up to A LOT of copies on the company dime. Besides the physical resources wasted here, there’s still more time lost by the worker doing the copying and distributing. And if all of the above is weekly, well that seriously adds up!

So now it’s lotto night, and you have two possible outcomes. Most of the time, a large amount of your workers just collectively lost a lot of money that could have been used much more constructively. Or, in the rare occurrence, a large amount of your workers just collectively won a whole lot of money, and are now going to be at the very least distracted. That’s if you’re lucky, because many of them might now be quitting their jobs on the spot with no notice, and others may only be sticking around long enough to plan their retirements.

Only then do you get into all the legal squabbles and bad PR that may soon follow. Then there’s the poor morale that would result from that and from the other workers who weren’t in on the pool. Yep, even more distractions.

I don’t see any benefits to the company, but I do see a whole lot of negatives ranging anywhere from minor nuisance to major clusterfuck.

I take offense to that. :mad:
That’s Ceciltucky, thank you very much.
That woman is probably lying, but I’ve done something like that before (minus the winning) and just wrote my name on the ticket after I bought it. Right there in the store. Maybe not the smartest solution, but if I won beaucoup money I’d definitely share it.

If she stole it, she’s an incredible dumb ass, since Maryland law allows the winner to collect anonymously.

She could have quit, disappeared, collected her winnings and no one would ever have known.

I’m the organizer of lotto pools in my department, and we usually have about 15 people participating. I photocopy all the tickets our pool buys and distribute the photocopies to all participating, and I let everyone know I’m taking the tickets home with me.

I work in a law firm, and my department has access to the services of several very tough litigators. They and I know that I’d never pull any tricks!

Dear McDonalds employees: If we ever hear that several of you have won millions of dollars, you are so fired!! You’ll never work at a McDonald’s again for the rest of your life! Do you hear me?! Never again!

But the other fundamental concern of lottery pools is when you buy your own ticket and then you win, and your coworkers (whose pool just lost) all claim that you were part of their pool all along.

Thus is the danger of the “prove I didn’t go halfsies with you” game.

And if I worked for you, I wouldn’t tell you about the pool I was organizing behind your back. Unless we all won. Then you’d know first thing Monday morning.

But like I said above, once your coworker wins hundreds of millions of dollars, there’s nothing stopping you and your loser coworkers from “drafting” her into a pool ex post facto.

I was shooting for Hatian, but I’ve only got so many vowels to work with, people!