"Shooting migrants in the legs". Is this legal? If Area 51 trespassers can be shot...

As for the OP:

Focusing just on the shoot on site on Area 51 part, I’d ask the question…well, how many people have actually BEEN shot trying to get onto the Area 51 (Grooms Lake) facility in, oh, say the past 40 years? Hundreds? Thousands? Millions? A quick Google search indicates a lot of arrests, but I haven’t found any cases of folks actually being shot. MAYBE there have been a few, but I can’t find them. Not even 10’s of folks shot, despite hundreds of arrests. So, the premise seems flawed just from that angle.

That report, assuming it’s the one referenced below, has been pretty roundly criticized:

From here: Economic impact of illegal immigrants in the United States - Wikipedia

Also, the Heritage Foundation is definitely a hard right rag – among other awful positions, they are climate change deniers.

That’s fine. It was the only one I saw an actual figure put on. The point was just showing that even that is a lot less than Trump’s assertion.

According to some admittedly less reputable sources, an unnamed man was shot at Area 51 in January 2019 after driving through a security checkpoint and exciting his vehicle with a cylindrical object in his hand.

Also, his reference to “treasure” was hilarious! What, are we pirates now?

OK, thanks!

Maybe Annoyed has a better cite in mind since he or she seems to be pretty confident of the billions and billions number.

Rhetorical question: Are you holding your breath?

Well, “billions and billions” just means “at least four billion”, which isn’t all that outrageous a claim.

Sure, the phrasing was intended to make the number sound YUGE, which was consistent with the rest of his bullshit phrasing as he tried to pretend that immigrants somehow cost more than the military.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a net positive for the US, as there are a hell of a lot of things that factor in to this. Illegal aliens, after all, buy stuff…and a lot of things bought in the US are taxed. In addition, often illegals actually DO pay payroll taxes, as they either use someone else’s credentials or something similar, paying into things like social security despite not really getting the benefits. Sure, they also use social services, so I wouldn’t be surprised, on the other hand, if it WAS billions…as in several billions, maybe even a few 10’s of billions. But it’s not going to be $250 billion, not unless you are seriously cherry picking your data and spinning like crazy.

I’d say the very fact that it’s hard to nail down is a good indication it’s not a serious issue that is draining the treasury. Hell, we spend more on NASA per year, and that’s a very small fraction of our overall budget. This isn’t what’s causing the large deficits, and it’s not taking away valuable services from native born citizens.

:):p:o:(

Turning blue here.

Go for it, lock 'em up too if they knowingly hire illegal immigrants. If they weren’t employing these people, they’d probably prefer to stay home because who wants to travel thousands of miles to end up no better off?

Treasure in that particular sense is not uncommon usage, actually.

You know who doesn’t pay more in taxes than they consume in benefits? Red states.

Even still, I do not support shooting them. Not even a little.

Red states still have a lot of blue inhabitants. Plus I thought the so-called blues enjoyed wealth redistribution.

Most of your argument I agree with. The bolded part is only technically true and is missing major elements.

Primarily, illegal immigrants are competing for unskilled and semi-skilled jobs. Part of the reason they have to compete only in that pool is they can’t get licenses and official credentials, but that is a digression.

For those Americans seeking work in that labor market, illegal immigrants greatly harm their hourly wage and employ-ability. We wouldn’t necessarily need minimum wage laws if there were not 7.6 million illegal workers giving employers an effectively bottomless pool of replacement workers for most unskilled and semi-skilled positions!

“well, Americans who can’t do anything else but drudge work don’t deserve anything more”.

Debatable, but one of the bugs in the system is you need money to become a skilled worker. The best (in terms of job prospects later and average pay) training costs a small fortune (100k+ tab for state school generally). Even heavily subsidized community college trade schools are not free, you have to cough up several thousand dollars in fees generally, and also somehow pay for food and rent during that time period. This is extremely difficult to do if you can’t even get a minimum wage job washing dishes because an illegal immigrant is willing to wash more dishes for less money.

So Trump ran on a platform of opposing illegal immigrants. And he received massive support for poorly educated white men - specifically a group harmed by illegal immigration.

Now, yes, shooting them is counterproductive and it doesn’t do anything about the 7.2 million still competing in the labor pool. The actual fix would be to make it a felony to employ a worker without submitting their documents to be verified. Point all those guns at the actual villains.

Way to miss the point.

That’s glossing over the biggest reason not to shoot them by many magnitudes. They are people, for fuck’s sake.

Yep, and a lack of redistribution within the state is exactly why they rely on federal government funds.

I thought red states didn’t like big government or federal spending?

You and I may agree, but to some, they’re not people - they’re illegals.