Short of being klilled what happened to community assholes & undesirables in ancient times?

“Were” means “man”. Hence “werewolf” is “manwolf”. There’s a whole lot of “were somethings” in mythology, not just wolves.

“Sex is for reproduction only” has NEVER been a Christian rule. It was a Catholic rule–a mighty big difference.

The Christian rule, on the other hand, is “sex between husband and wife only.”

I’m confused by your first point. Our schools tolerate all manner of violence, criminality and indiscipline from students. We have decided as a matter of law and public policy that every child deserves an education, so we continue to tolerate and provide for shitty little monsters who neither want nor deserve to participate. I would argue that our problems are the result of being excessively tolerant rather than intolerant.

But the second point here is a valid one. Whenever someone asks, “How did people do X in the past?” the answer is usually more like, “How did *rich *people do X…” or “How did people in the major cities do X…” The poor and the people in remote communities are usually under-represented in the historical records for obvious reasons.

I know wer means man - I was learned enough old English in college to know it was the original meaning. Doesn’t make it less disappointing that it’s that usage.

I thought those were just for witches…