Short Political Quiz for American Dopers

Well-designed tests very often intentionally leave out mushy-head options, forcing people to choose a side on some matter or another. The other part of the good design is to have a lot of questions that are designed so that the total picture can emerge from this.

Nine. But I left the athletes/owners one blank.

… upon checking, it didn’t make a difference to the score !

21 here, and of course there’s some questions that left me scratching my head and/or trying to figure out the bias of things.

My Darn Snake Legs, I remember Haiti being a major foreign policy issue in 1994 (when this test was written) – was Korea the same? (Somehow, I can’t recall what the Korea issue was in 1994.)

(I would have guessed slightly lower)
Again, I agree with some of the statements others have said about the test - too limited in choices or had bizarre qualifiers to the choices which made neither statement appropriate.

1. I would have scored lower but for my anti-government bias.

I think I understand what you’re saying, but how does it apply in this case? If a person believes that neither the FBI nor the IRS is trustworthy whatsoever, then how is he to answer the question of which he trusts more?

Why couldn’t they have had a “neither” option? That’s not mushy-headed, is it? It just means that you trust them equally. By not allowing for honest responses, it seems to me that the whole test is rendered mushily.

Nuclear weapons. North Korea was making bellicose sounds about wanting to manufacute weapons-grade plutonium at their Yongbyon plant and threatening to turn Seoul into a lake of fire. (I was in Seoul at the time). Jimmy Carter came by and brokered an agreement between the North and the US which both sides have since violated.

Oh, and I scored an 18, between Bill Clinton and Colin Powell,[sup]*[/sup] which is about right, since Clinton was not much of a liberal and Powell isn’t all that conservative.
[sup[/sup] Although I’d rather be between Russell Crowe and Sean William Scott.

Oh, and I scored an 18, between Bill Clinton and Colin Powell,[sup][/sup] which is about right, since Clinton was not much of a liberal and Powell isn’t all that conservative.
[sup]
[/sup] Although I’d rather be between Russell Crowe and Seann William Scott.

I’m another 9, but if I’d chosen differently on a couple of the ones (the pro athletes vs team owners thing for example), I figure that my score would have been slightly higher.
Either way I’d still be pretty liberal.

9 – they seem to think I’m more conservative than I actually am :smiley:

17 here. I’ve taken this test before, in fact I have authors’ book. I take this test every couple of years to see how my ideas have changed. I wrote my scores in the back of the book, but that’s at home so I don’t know how this score differs from the last time I took it. Probably about the same.

Happy

Damn! I scored a 25, which I thought was a little too high for most of my actual opinions.

I agree with many of the other Dopers in saying that the questions are too simplistic or present false dilemmas: AIDS vs. heart disease? Strict gun control or harsher sentencing? FBI vs. IRS? Joint Chiefs vs. Peace Corps???

I got 9. And I agree that the test has some irritating forced choices. Sports teams? What the…?

That question made me laugh aloud when I was taking the quiz.

1. Booyeah! I’m the most liberal of all!

Actually, I didn’t like most of the questions, and I don’t think I’m asmuch of a granola-hippie-pinko-commie-liberal as the test makes me out to be.

14 here. Theoretically, right between the Clintons.

36! Go Republicans!

1. WTF??

Very weird and dated test.

17 here…I had know idea that I’d be rubbing shoulders with Powell and Clinton. I’d like to say that’s accurate and also give another WTF to the sports questions…