Should being a full time student be an excuse out of jury duty?

That was exactly the problem: I changed my legal residence to my school address when I went to school. At the time, my thinking was that I was going to be living there more than at my parents’ homes and that I wanted to vote on local issues there.

A bit of advice to those heading off to college. Don’t do this. It’s not worth the tremendous hassle that jury duty will present.

Here’s a brief summary of what happened to me. I got called for jury duty at school, called in and explained my situation. They said write a letter saying when/where I could serve. I did so. When I got home for Christmas, there was a summons waiting for me (purely by coincidence, but I didn’t know that). I went, served, got dismissed, then returned to school. A month later, got another summons, spoke to a very mean woman who didn’t believe me, claimed that I was lying to avoid jury duty, and threatened to have the police arrest me if I didn’t show up on a particular date, wrote another letter, called a dozen more times, each time speaking to someone different who gave me new and conflicting directions, and ended up having to get the county clerk in my home county to send an official letter saying I’d served to the LA county clerk. And then I changed my legal residence back to my mother’s house.

The American People would like to apologize for not compensating you fairly for performing your civic duty.

45 hours on top of a full course load. Significantly more than “just” 45 hours.

Dear.