Should democrats rethink "defund police" and push for law and order?

You know, I have no idea. I really wish I did because it would make my conclusion so much easier. But unless there is data out there for us to evaluate, none of us really know. We can just draw our own conclusions based on highly selective data we see in media.

Then that’s actually a pretty broad brush. That bushel of apples is pretty spoiled.

Meh. I’m with you on the first.

I disagree with the people who showed up, wishing that they not survive, but I don’t condemn them, they are just expressing their sentiments. I hear all the time, whenever someone is killed by the police, even in pretty sketchy circumstances, “Good, another one taken out” or even uglier sentiments. I really can’t contemn people responding by doing the exact same thing.

Exactly, they call it law and order, but it’s actually just terrorism and oppression.

And most of them should face criminal charges for the unlawful assaults and abuses that they have perpretrated on those they are supposed to protect.

So, pretty much all of them. They know who the bad cops are.

If there weren’t so many of them, we wouldn’t need to protest.

No. You specified the parameters with which I agreed. If a cop covers for the bad actions of another cop, they are accessories. It does not follow that the bushel is pretty spoiled. Neither you nor I know the extent to which this is a problem. I wish we did. I really do.

As was her choice to, as a Law Enforcement officer, claim that McDonald’s employees tried to poison her, and then choose to share that with the world.

I’m still thinking that you aren’t getting this, that this was an overheard conversation, or that she was just ranting and it “accidentally” got out.

She made these accusations public. If I said, @QuickSilver tried to give me mercury poisoning, and I uploaded my reason for believing that, and made the specific and direct accusation to that affect, then I’m absolutely in the wrong, and you would be in the right to hold me accountable.

At the least, I assume that you are in agreement that she needs to retire from the force. Obviously, it is a job she cannot handle, she shows remarkably poor judgement, and her paranoid delusions are likely to get someone killed. We are in agreement on that, right?

Can you tell me which specific McDonald’s restaurant she was even talking about? Perhaps you know and I completely missed it. Because otherwise, what does that accusation (if I even accept it as a serious one, as you do) even amount to?

It took me 5 minutes to collect 6 confirmed examples of police officers caught in lies so they could claim persecution (7 if you count McDonalds lady). I’m sure I could turn up a dozen more if need be.

With that knowledge, are you willing to give the benefit of the doubt to future persecution stories? Do you have evidence that causes you to feel these stories are credible, or is it just a feeling that we shouldn’t overgeneralize?

Every time we look at these stories they fall apart. I don’t understand how anybody could know this and still give them the benefit of the doubt.

And you know why we don’t? Because they all cover for eachother.

Then, we get to play as though, since we don’t really “know” how many of them are bad, we can pretend that it’s just a few bad apples, and we will fire them, maybe even make them spend a bit of time in jail after they go too far and actually get caught on tape killing someone in cold blood.

When you catch them murdering or planting evidence, or brutalizing them, it is not because it is the first time that they have done this, it is just that this is the first time that they got caught. When you catch one cop murdering or planting evidence or brutalizing the people that they are supposed to protect, it’s not that it’s just that one cop, that’s just the one that you caught.

It is an entire culture that makes them expect to get away with these things. And they get that because that’s what they see others doing and getting away with. A “good cop” still doesn’t look too closely, and pretends that they couldn’t have known. Then they have to actually look away to not see it, then they have to cover for the actions of their colleagues, to keep everyone from looking bad. Then fuck it, that guy’s obviously a drug dealer, might as well just plant these drugs on him to get him off the street, they’re still a good cop, right? That guy made them have to break a sweat catching him, he deserves a good beat down, teach them to not run in the future. That guy mouthed off, didn’t respect their authority, they don’t have to give you a reason that you are under arrest, and if you question what they are doing, or you shrug back in any way, even if it is flinching away from the hot asphalt your face is being ground into, even if it is just natural panic instinct that sets in when you find that you cannot breathe, then they get you for resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.

At this point, the cops have lost their benefit of the doubt. I’ll believe a cop is a good cop after they have turned in and testified against the bad cops in their department. And if they claim that there are no bad cops in their department, then they are liars and they are bad cops.

She’s been a cop what, 15 years? That’s a long time. Perhaps she’s no longer fit for the job. Perhaps there are things going on in her private life that have compounded the stress of that day or days like it. Perhaps she is someone who is habitually given to drama and overstatement.

Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps.

That is all we know and I’m impressed that you can draw a conclusion about something I feel less qualified to do. And believe me, I do love to draw me some conclusions on some pretty thin evidence.

Yes, I know exactly which one it was. What do you believe this knowledge changes?

I give her the benefit of the doubt. The others can hang. I’m just not willing to condemn her based on the actions of the other six examples. That is one point. The other point is that I don’t think that we can conclude that based on this 6:1 ratio, that this is the bad:good composition of the entire police force.

Ah, so her generalizing, her broad brush accusations make it okay.

Do you not get that she publicly accused people of trying to poison her? She chose to make this accusation public. I don’t see how you think that this is okay behavior for a cop.

We have pretty high tensions out there, and you think that throwing out this accusation will not make them worse?

She is a fucking peon. One solitary cop that over-reacted to something due to whatever stress she happened to be experiencing at the time. Her words were hardly significant enough to bring down an entire fast food franchise. Honestly, don’t you feel like you’re over-reacting to this to a far greater extent than even she did?

And how would you feel about being on the wrong end of her at the end of one of her shifts?

Perhaps this is a recent thing, and she used to be a fine officer. Her behavior here says that she is not anymore.

So, we are in agreement that she is no longer fit to serve as a police officer, correct?

You do realize that that was exactly what she did.

The difference is, is that I am a poster on a MB. She is a cop with a gun. I am using the evidence of her own words, where she accused McDonald’s employees of trying to poison her. She is using the evidence that they took too long with her order.

I’m not sure what the disconnect is here. Did she, or did she not, publicly accuse McDonald’s employees of trying to poison her? Do you think that such accusations are helpful to the conversations that our communities are having right now?

Altho it is undeniable true that “Defund the Police” is a really fucking stupid meme, and that the ACLUs “Divest & re-invest” is a hundred times better, no Democratic party leader is saying “Defund the Police”.

Biden and his platform most certainly isnt.

I can’t really judge someone else’s opinion on how much generalization they can stand. But given what we know about the frequency of lying about persecution, does that change your willingness to believe persecution stories?

Though I generally do believe police officers are dishonest, I wasn’t trying to start a hijack about that. My point was, given that we know these persecution stories have a history of falling apart under scrutiny, do you have any reason ever to believe a similar persecution story in the future? (Such as the one that kicked off this OP).

Just want to point out that I said a couple of weeks ago in a different thread that “Defund the Police” as a slogan couldn’t have been chosen by a GOP dirty tricks goon like Roger Stone or Karl Rove and had more negative effect for the Democratic party than it has.

What a horrifically bad choice of words to use for the idea; it’s almost tailor-made to polarize people and turn the issue into a binary one of “law, order and police support”, or whatever the nebulous, presumably chaotic and violent alternative is.

They really need a pan-Democratic party pronouncement from Joe Biden and the unified party leadership saying that “No, we don’t support the notion of defunding police departments. Full stop. What we do support is X, Y and Z ,which aren’t the same thing”, because right now, they’re a crazy quilt of some who support it, some who don’t, and some who remain silent, and by not being unified and firmly against the idea, they’re being perceived by many as being reluctantly against it, or tacitly supporting it.

By letting the GOP claim the high ground and frame it as a binary thing where they are the guardians of law and order, versus the chaos that would happen if they actually defunded the police, the DNC has created something of a messaging nightmare for themselves.

Except that for some on the far left- the purpose really is to get rid of the police. So "defund the police’ can mean anything from "disband all police dept, no more cops’ to “cut the fat and social services out of a budget, maybe a 1% reduction”. This is why "Defund the police’ is a really fucking stupid meme, and it has to be dropped.

No. She claimed someone tried to poison her. I wouldn’t be spending more than a single sentence on it if it weren’t for you defending her.

All you have is that she is insignificant, that she can’t bring down McDonald’s, or that maybe she had a bad day.

I have the words that she recorded and chose to share with the world.

If she thinks that her food taking a while at McDonald’s is someone trying to kill her, what’s she going to think when someone reaches for their wallet after she asks them for ID?

Is it okay if she overreacts if she had a bad day?

My only reaction to this is in reaction to your defense of her behavior.

I believe black lives definitely matter, and the police definitely should have some funding pulled until they can cut their bad apples. But I agree the verbiage is unfortunate and probably counterproductive. It’s not my movement but I wish they’d gone with “police accountability matters” just to deflect all the bad-faith misinterpretation.

I just love that the OP posts the equivalent of “should Democrats stop beating their wives” and we all take the bait and start fighting each other. Just fantastic!