Should I adopt a cat?

Odd as it may seem, get two, not one. They’ll entertain each other, and be a lot less bored than one cat alone. Get an already bonded pair if possible.

The alternative might be an older cat who’s used to being alone and seems to prefer it. Well taken care of cats usually live into their late teens so a five to ten year old cat has a lot of life left. Some of them do still need a lot of space, others don’t, see below.

Get cats who have never been outside, and if possible who have never had a large house. They’re a lot less likely to miss what they’ve never known.

Some high energy young cats (especially males) will drive themselves and you crazy in a small space; other cats will be fine with it. I’d go for cats old enough so you can judge this part of their character.

Cats use vertical space. Give them plenty of things they can climb on, and they’ll have a lot more usable space in that efficiency than you will.

I had a similar situation and I got an older cat. It lived for three years (after I got it). She woke up, head butted me. I gave it breakfast, it sat in the window and couldn’t be bothered with me. Then when I came home, she head butted me, got dinner, went back to the window and couldn’t be bothered.

I live on a very busy street, so she always had lots to look at (cars and people) and she was older and once a week we’d play for five minutes, then she’d be “ok enough of that, and went back to the window”

It was the best pet relationship I had. Shelters can tell you what personality your pet will have and an older cat often makes an idea for someone who doesn’t have a lot of time. But having been raised on a farm, I can tell you cats are all different, if your patient you can find one to suit both your lifestyles.

If I ever get another cat, I will definitely go older again.