Should I pay my housesitter?

Funny I came across this today, as in a few months I will be house/dog sitting for friends of a friend in Hawaii. If they have plants to water, I will be happy to take care of those, too.

Payment has not been discussed, and frankly, I don’t expect to be paid, nor would I accept payment if they try to offer. I didn’t intend to have a Hawaiian vacation this year, so it’s not like I was going already and needed a place to stay, but since the offer was presented to me, I will take it! I will be saving a ton of money on hotel, restaurants, rental car, etc. so I don’t expect to be paid on top of that.

If they left me a bottle of wine, or a restaurant gift card, I might use it so as not to offend, but it certainly isn’t expected. I like pets, I like Hawaii, and I think my being able to stay there and enjoy a vacation and use their place and car while doing so is more than enough payment! While I am gone my mother will be house and cat sitting for me, and I will likely leave her some gift cards and a fridge full of groceries since she is retired and on a fixed income.

If I were the original poster, I would reach out to the house sitter and say…hey, we probably should have talked about this initially, but in your mind, are we trading our house for your sitting/watering services? Or do you want to charge us something for taking care of the cats and plants? Email if that is more comfortable than asking in person.

One last note…I am very invested in my own pets and also run an animal welfare organization. There are only certain people I would completely trust with my cats. I have seen too many horror stories where the pet sitter lost the pet. Make sure this acquaintance is one who can be trusted! If they feel put upon because jeez, now they have to take care of your cats when all they wanted was a place to stay, they might not be the best choice. Good luck!

What if the cats got out and were run over by a passing car, and the house was robbed while she was down at the beach? Would a payment still be in order? Just asking, it’s best to consider all options.:confused:

I’m too lazy to look it up right now but I’m pretty sure the going rate to rent a vacation home in Hawaii is well over $100 a night.

The guest has pocketed $700 just by staying at the house. Taking care of two cats and a few houseplants is the least she can do.
And the idea that she should be paid because she doesn’t have the freedom to go on a two day romantic escapade is just downright silly.

I’ll house sit for free, plus water the plants, feed the cats, clean the catbox, plus scrub the toilets. Your move, Johnny Bravo.

If someone offered me free use of their house in Hawaii while they were away, wouldn’t I expect to do a few things to take care of that house? I’ve rented homes in many locations and I’ve always assumed it was on me to water a dying plant or to feed the house kitty and I was the one paying.

OP is never coming back. :\

Maybe she didn’t pay the housesitter and the housesitter went off on her and killed her.