Should I use Rid-X for my septic system or not?

The guy cannot tell… Rid-X won’t make any difference. Perhaps your family don’t deposit much fat into the kitchen sink ? that would explain a lack of fat in the septic tank…
Rid-X is just enzymes. They wash away.
Not needed when the system is working properly, as bacteria produce the same enzymes anyway. Apart from the fat layer ?

We have learned the hard way not to use antibacterial soaps and not to put rid x and all those other septic system cleaners in our septic tank. What happened to us is it caused all that slurry to float and to go into the leach lines and plug up. We dug up the leach line, drilled holes in the leach piping and flushed them out. What a pain!! To unblock the leach lines we had to use lots of lye with hot water and funnels in those holes we drilled, and when it startd to break up we flushed them out with the garden hoses. Took us three weeks to get it working ok, but saved us thousands becaus ewe didn’t have to put in a new leach line.
Then we didn’t learn (dumb, dumb, dumb) and made the mistake of listening to a “expert” guy in our area who recomended Green Pig every month to prevent it from happening again. Now we are digging again. :frowning: We have our tank pumped every three yrs, and in the spring when the water tables are full i do the laundry at the laundromat.

don’t put shit in the shit.

see if you can have a filter installed on the outlet of the tank. it mounts inside the tank, made of plastic, you pull it out and rinse once or twice a year.

We moved into our first house when out daughter was a month old. Being ignorant of the ways of septic tanks, we didn’t know to have it pumped every three years or so. Disaster ensued - the tank eventually stopped up, and water backed up through the washing machine discharge into the basement. Our daughter, then nine, was the one to first see this and report it to us.

What do they (septic tank pumpers) do with all the waste after they pump it out of a septic tank? What is the life cycle of poop?

Normally take it to a waste water treatment center, the same type where sewer waste is managed. The ‘scavenger waste’ is added and ran thru the system.

zombie shit or no

they may also take it to agricultural lands that are permitted to have human shit on it.

There are no agricultural lands (or non-agricultural lands, for that matter) in the U.S. in which it would be permitted to dispose of untreated raw septage or sewage. Doing so would be an excellent way to both pollute the environment and spread disease, which is why we build expensive wastewater treatment plants.

Instead, as indicated by kanicbird, raw septage is hauled to a wastewater treatment plant, where it is added to the influent sewage already being treated by the plant.

In some cases, after treatment, the residual dried sludge might be used for agricultural fertilizer.

–robby, P.E.

In my county, all septic systems are registered with the Sanitarian. Every time you pump, it gets entered to the database. If you don’t pump often enough (I’m not sure, but maybe 4 years?), you get a letter, then a visit from the Sanitarian.

And any time the name on the property title changes, even if it is a single letter or due to a quit-claim deed, the system must be inspected and pass within a year. They take this shit serious.

Opinions on the use of Rid-X vary.

The random capitalization of enzymes is a worrying sign too.

I stumbled upon this website asking the same question and I love the posts so I joined!!!

Welcome aboard!

Had a number of sinks that were not draining freely. Went out and bought gallons of Drano Gel Max and have a Septic Tank. (yes, now we know not to do…and we should have read label…). Now the sink clogs are gone, but it stinks like Drano/septic. So, we had Septic Tank emptied. Still stinks like Drano, only when water has been used. BUT, not anywhere near where the water was used. The stench is identical to what it smelled like when they emptied the septic and they said that yes, there was a heavy chemical smell in the tank. There is no chemical or septic smell in our water or drains.

So, If we:

Do a load of laundry…the stench may smell after in the air in the kitchen, but not in the laundry room.

Run the dishwasher…stench may smell in a back bedroom that has no connection with septic system.

Sniff the drains in all the house? No smell ever… When we don’t use water in the house, we have no smell.

Anyone know what needs to be done to create Septic harmony again? Is there a fix, without calling a plumber etc? Or if we need a plumber, what should we expect them to need to do to fix it.

Thanks! Reformed Drano Abuser

PS My septic guy said a safe product is 7 Minutes for drain clogs…Anyone else use this? Does it work better than say vinegar and baking soda?

In my area of Michigan, septic companies were disposing of sewage on farmland, just a few years ago. I know in this county, it is not allowed anymore, maybe the law changed? They did catch one local pumper dumping in ditches around here, he pled guilty, but I think he is still in business.

I think Rid Ex is useless. My poop is plenty stinky,

I wish the state of Michigan cared about water quality enough to monitor things like that. One neighbor of mine had a failing system, he stuck a sump pump in the tank, land trenched in a plastic line to a neighbor’s pond, without the neighbor knowing, of course.

Just had the septic system inspected for the home I am purchasing. I asked the inspector about rid x and he said to absolutely NOT use it. EVER. he did not understand how there has not already been a class action lawsuit against them yet.

The way he explained it was as follows. The bacteria naturally present in your tank will break down the solids just enough for them to stay at the bottom of the tank and still be able to be pumped out when the time comes. RID X does NOT aid in the production of this natural bacteria. Instead it is its own, much stronger form of enzymes that break down the solids further than the naturally occurring bacteria. This essentially liquifies the solids to a point where they actually make it into the effluent downstream and fill up your d-box and drain field with black sewage.