Should I vote to legalize marijuana in my state?

I will say that, while I’m ambivalent about full legalization of marijuana, I’m definitely against the medical marijuana bills that have been proposed and passed. There probably is legitimate therapeutic value to some of the active ingredients in marijuana, but the medical marijuana bills as they’re usually presented are a hindrance, not a help, in achieving that. We need to treat marijuana like real medicine, not like “alternative medicine”.

hmm. But legalizing it medically gives more inroads to actually studying it. It’s full legal in Colorado now, with no problems. When it first became medical, I was making a salve for my 87 year old mother for her back and leg. She claims it helps a lot. Is it acting as a placebo? Don’t know, and frankly don’t care when nothing else helps her pain.

**Should I vote to legalize marijuana in my state?

**Yes you should.

I voted to legalize in my state (CA) to improve the security of the nation.

Basically: the more states that make it legal, the more pressure on the federal government to make it legal federally.

If it’s legal federally, then the hiring practices of government agencies will no longer discount those who use.

It might not work out, but I figure it’s worth a shot.

In WA, so I’m told, medical prices were around $20-30/g (not taxed) and have come down in the rec market to the range of $10-20/g (including tax). So I’m told.

Vote yes.

Huh, didn’t think of that angle. Legalization will probably make it harder for kids to get high. Won’t someone think of the kids?!?

Somewhat regardless of the practical effects of legalization/criminalization, scientifically we know that marijuana use has a social harm rating that’s closer to caffeine and alcohol has a social harm rating that’s closer to heroin. In the interest of ruling the country with laws which are not arbitrary and capricious, there’s no real argument to be made that marijuana has any reason to be illegal while alcohol and tobacco remain legal.

One of the most common arguments against legalization is the exact opposite. That is, it supposedly will make dope easier for kids to get. Anyone making that argument is clearly not remembering their own high school days.

I don’t buy that legalization would make it harder. Sure, you might have known who in the school could provide you with marijuana, but you also knew who in the school had a convincing fake ID or a cooperative older sibling who’d buy booze. All making it legal does is remove a few links from the black market supply chain.

Most of the barriers to marijuana research are federal. State medical marijuana laws won’t lead to any significant new research, unless they also include eight figures of new state research funding. Depending how severe the federal restrictions are, the state-funded marijuana research may have to be done at an institution that’s completely independent of federal funding, which raises the price to nine figures. (Those extremes are necessary for a some types of federally-restricted embryonic stem cell research.)

I live in Washington state and I don’t think it has been particularly good or bad.

Talking to a cop about it, one of the biggest problems right now is enforcing the taxes. It’s like cigarette taxes - the product may be legal, but the hefty taxes imposed on it create a large illegal market. That one guy (totally unscientifically, I admit) thinks that the law didn’t change the size of the illegal market, it just added a legal market alongside.

I understand that the tax has failed to live up to the revenue projections that were promised during the campaign season, though some people blame overall regulatory confusion for that.

By the way, don’t expect that a state law is going to make it legal everywhere in the state. The closest city to me passed their own laws making it illegal to sell or use in public within the city limits.

Anyway, I voted to legalize it and would do so again. I just don’t see a compelling public health/safety issue that would justify over-riding default rights.

Just say Yes.

Washington and Colorado have their marijuana taxes too high, so that encourages a black market. Oregon’s taxes are lower and there probably won’t be much of a black market here. That is, except in places where local governments have outlawed it. All three states allow local override, and that’s a mistake. The entire state should have the same rules about it.

When I lived in Florida, I could buy an 1/8 of weed for $50.00; it was whatever strain I could get and it depended the availability of the vendor. Here in the Denver area, the stores are open from 9 am until midnight, and an 1/8 costs $35, $45, or $55, depending on quality. I can also get a gram for about $20, a “pre-roll” (joint) for about $10, and high quality extracts that just make for a cleaner and better experience.

It’s definitely better to have a legal market.

As for any quality of life issues for the general public, I really don’t see any. Out here, you have to deal with signs bearing green crosses and the abbreviation “Red Mec 21” (i.e. Recreational and Medical sold for to those over 21 years old), and explaining that to your kids might be awkward.

But cities are free to regulate hours or even outright prohibit stores, so they aren’t in the conservative pockets of the state, and they aren’t in the suburbs (at least, I don’t see them when I drive through).

The increased tax revenue is real. The lack of increased crime or mayhem is real. I, personally, suggest the OP vote yes.

(And, since the OP is in Arizona, I suggest that there is an added benefit. Legalizing domestic marijuana would put a dent in the Mexican drug smugglers’ market, thereby decreasing the motivation or incentive for some percentage of illegal immigration).

Just curious, Is there anyone who supports legalization and never used it?

Yeah, me. I don’t use it, but the federal prohibition on marijuana is just as ridiculous as Prohibition was. It’s better to generate taxes on its sale than to spend them on criminal prosecution of its use. It’s better to permit its recreational use and regulate it like alcohol, as In the ballot measure here In Arizona.

And I know legalizing in the state doesn’t make it legal on the federal level, but it’s only a matter of time. And it won’t even take a constitutional amendment to deregulate it.

Me. All of my jobs for almost 30 years were driving or high school coaching.
Random drug testing at the driving jobs and any previous conviction would have nixed the coaching before it started.

Besides, I’m naturally averse to having a police record. :wink:

I supported legalization before I used it. In fact, I was a staunch proponent of legalizing drugs as a teenager, even as I was disgusted by the stoners I saw in school.

As I pointed out above, the Mexican smugglers have been largely put out of business already. There’s probably still some smuggled in, but it’s a small fraction of what used to be. Legalizing it in AZ and CA would probably put the rest out of business.

BTW, I’m another supporter who’s never used it. I live in Oregon and voted for it. I’m glad others can buy it legally, but have no desire to do so myself.