Should mods contribute to a Pit-like atmosphere in Elections?

Don’t call me cis! Oh wait, that’s a hiss word, not an out-pooching lips word.

As long as the contributions are under 5 bucks or so, I’m okay with it.

I think both of these are true.

Not that I’ve made any sort of study of it or anything, but ISTM that mods are better behaved on average than the average poster.

At the same time, when mods do act out they are less likely to be the subject of enforcement action, or if they are, it’s likely milder.

[By way of example, in the link above from MrDibble, Miller told another poster in CS that they “never learned to read for context” and should “take it up with [their] middle school teachers”. That’s a blatant personal insult and would be warnable for a typical poster. Actual reaction: a mod note saying “It’s hard not to read this as mildly insulting, so just try to keep comments like it at bay when not in the Pit.”]

But I think that’s unavoidable. These mods work collectively, and there’s no way you’re going to get people to be as tough on their colleagues as they are on others with whom they have no need to maintain any sort of harmonious relationship. It’s a minor perk of being a moderator.

I was one of those that reported that, and I said that no Warning should be given.

Miller is abrasive and more than a bit of a %$#@!, but that’s why he’s such a good Pit Boss.

Mind you, he clearly doesnt care for me, for some reason.

I don’t know that what the target of an insult thinks about it is a determining factor. ISTM that that was a straight up insult and well within the bounds of insults which receive warnings. It was not something which was probably “mildly insulting”.

I agree that Miller is a good moderator, but that’s not relevant here.

There are many examples of non-mod posters getting notes for insults. The board does not track notes but I have no problem stating that many more notes are given than warnings. As with anything context counts.