Should NASA sue Fox for slander?

The Fox presentation was a farce, of course, and it’s
a shame that such garbage was ever aired at all. It’s
also a shame that Gus Grissom’s family was
gullible enough to buy into conspiracy theories.
However, to be fair, we shouldn’t be surprised that
Grissom’s family is ready to believe the worst of
NASA. In the aftermath of the Apollo I disaster that
killed Vergil Grissom, Roger Chafee and Ed WHite, NASA stonewalled and lied, again and again, for decades. Oh, to be sure, NASA’s motives weren’t completely malicious: they were covering their butts, trying to keep public morale high, and trying to console the grieving families (“the men died at once, and didn’t suffer”).

Of course, we now know that the men DID suffer. They were burned alive, and suffered a slow, agonizing death. So, it’s no wonder that the Grissom family wonders what else NASA might have lied about.

Now, I’d LOVE to see a lawsuit, but I can’t imagine what good it might do. Whom would NASA sue? Fox? Fox could claim (truthfully, if disingenuously) “WE didn’t make any claims. We merely gave others a forum to present their theories. We presented both sides.” That would leave NASA with the option of suing the conspiracy theorists themselves, but those clowns are generally crackpots who don’t have a pot to pee in. What good would it do to sue THEM?

astorian wrote:

What?! I thought the cause of death was smoke inhalation. That’d knock them out toute-suite.

Me too. I wish I had watched CSI on CBS instead. The FOX show was infuriating!

That isn’t irony, that’s hypocricy.

The truth is out there…

Aldrin is not now, nor has he ever been, a Senator. I think you mean John Glenn.

By the way, there have been eight manned missions (though 8, 10, and 13 never landed, by either accident or design) to the Moon (and Jim Lovell made the trip twice). That’s a lot of other mouths to shut up.

What happened? Who won?

It was thrown out of court in 1997. And I flubbed it a bit–Lovell didn’t call Kaysing a kook, he called him “wacky.”

Are we at war with the Plutonians then, that we would consider constructing such horrible restaurants on their planet?

I watched The Insider last night (for the first time) and the film mentioned the lawsuit filed against Big Tobacco by the state of Mississippi. (You should recall that eventually, every state filed and won similar suits.)

If a government can file suit against a private corporation for selling a dangerous product and lying about how dangerous said product is, why can’t a government sue someone for accusing it of committing murder and of perpetrating the biggest hoax in history?

IANAL, but it seems to me they should be able to do so. There is precedent for a government suing a private organization. Even if they don’t collect any damages, they would at least have proven in a court of law that there had been no hoax.

Hey, I LIKE Taco Bell.

Because it’s like a disease, and if you ignore it it can hurt you. That’s why I fight such things, and, as a matter of fact, NASA has a link to my debunking of the show on their homepage, http://www.nasa.gov. Gloat, gloat!

You’ve been noticed by NASA?! Way to go, Bad As’!!

If NASA sue Fox for a HUGE amount not only will it make people realise what rubbish these people talk but stop others doing the same.

SUE SUE SUE - then they can use that money for the damm expensive space program instead of more tax !