Should our government leaders be required to have had military service?

The notion of a tie-in of military service with being a good citizen became fully developed in republican Rome. Back then, of course, Rome was either being constantly attacked by its neighbors, or later on in the republic, was conquering them. Naturally, having meaningful experience in the legions was seen as vital to a public officer or any significance; if you were intimately connected with warfare and all its contingencies, you could apply those to effectively handling one of the most important affairs of state - foreign policy, principally warfare.

This notion is also quite relevant to America. Since the inception of this nation to the early twentieth century, the primary way for an individual to ascend the governmental post ladder was through a distinguished military career, or at least substantial martial experience. This was not based totally on antiquated ideals. Rather, the military in those days (as today) instilled certain values which were (and are) considered necessary for a good public servant: honor, respect, and subordination. Transferrence from military connotation to civilian connotation is smooth. Honor for the soldier’s position within the armed services becomes honor for the politician’s office; respect translates similarly as honor; the soldier’s subordination to his superior’s decisions becomes the subordination of the politician to the dictates of those who had enlisted him, the populace at large (in the case of an appointee, such as a cabinet member, this is indirect but still relevant, or ought to be).

As to whether military service is still relevant today? I believe it is still highly relevant, but not a requisite for a good public servant. For those in war policy-planning positions, I would be more adament in wanting the individual to have had some experience in the armed forces. Although politicians can still be good leaders without such experience, they are more dispositioned to making good decisions (in wartime) if they have it. For example, take Dwight Eisenhower. He was the leader of the combined Allied forces, and did a superb job with that. He subsequently went on to be a strong, good president during one of the most harrowing times in American history, the Cold War. If it were not for his experience with WWII, he might have made a false step that could have led to an armed confrontation with the USSR - and let’s face it, those who have not actually been faced with war personally will more easily engage in it.

So, should it be required? No, not as a decree of the law. However, it ought to weigh heavily on the minds of voters, especially for those who would possibly be in a position to engage in a war.

And while this may seem tangential, I just have to address one of Blast Master’s comments:

Andrew Jackson did indeed have a highly-decorated military career, but he is certainly not considered one of our worst presidents. He’s actually considered one of the best ones, with an average scholarly ranking at the eighth best out of the 42 individuals to have held the office http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_United_States_Presidents, because of his keeping the Union together during the crisis over the Tariff of Abominations, among other things. I just had to address that, because he’s one of my favourite presidents (right behind T.R., Wshington, Jefferson, and a select few others).

Sorry about the typo on “Washington” and my bad habit of selectively using the British spelling of certain words (id est, “favourite” instead of “favorite”), even though I’m from New York. I’m only on a trial membership here, so they won’t let me edit my posts.

You mean like John McCain here lately?

… or Ollie North, or GW Bush, or Admiral Poindexter, or that homophobic captain who conducted the first investigation into the USS Iowa explosion?

Marcus, you’ve posted a number of assertions (actually, all of them) as though they are facts. Care to substantiate any of them?

Only mods and admins here can edit posts.

I never said that military service automatically transforms every single individual into the perfect politician. What I’m saying is that it can instill certain values that are more likely to make the person be a better individual. If the person is a immoral in character from the start or chooses not to change (i.e. Bush, Oliver North), then obviously no amount of military experience is going to change that. Throwing those few aberrants’ names around doesn’t counteract my overall idea.

What did I say that wasn’t fact? In Rome most individuals who had aspirations for public office almost always had to enlist in the military if they wanted any serious chance at becoming a politician. It wasn’t a legal requirement, but it was a tradition. The same is true in America up to the earliest twentieth century; it wasn’t legally required, but it was common practice.
What followed was my opinion on the matter, that is, my response to the question posed by the OP.

Randy Cunningham would have probably been a better example , rather than McCain in my opinion.

Declan

Sounds like Starship Troopers to be honest. That and you possibly run the risk of having a group of people that are informed enough about the capabilities of the military and hardend in their usage.

So if I read your op correctly , the top tier politicians having been in either the military and or under fire, might refrain them from using the military, but you could end up with a group of people who might use the military in the opposite direction.

Declan

I wonder how many people really don’t understand that particular novel was a satire on the very ideas touted by the administration in the novel’s future society.

Satire or not, thats the first thing that I thought of. Military service to gain Citizenship, thus eligible for political office.

Declan

This is such a nice idea, but it’s completely wrong and I don’t know why it persists. A decorated veteran named Kennedy got the US involved in Vietnam, and a veteran named Johnson kept soldiers there. Even people who understand the terrors of combat are often willing to sacrifice the lives of others to advance an idea. It’s probably part of the makeup of people who want to be leaders, and I think that’s the issue with the ‘chickenhawks.’ Military service didn’t seem to cure any of them of their willingness to sacrifice people for intangible goals.

The idea of compulsory military service for any public office is a terrible one. Joining the military does not automatically make you a better person or more fit for office than a non-veteran. I am really, really looking forward to the first election in which Vietnam is a non-issue. I think that’ll happen by 2016. (Just think - 40 years after the war ended, it might not be an issue in Presidential elections. Oh happy day.)

I’m not talking about anyone in particular, but I think many people have very inconsistent views on this topic. Democrats touted Kerry and Clark’s service, but if Bush was a veteran and still acting like he is, I imagine many of the same people would say that we need a Presidents who aren’t veterans, because Presidents with military experience think that war is the solution to everything. Some on the right probably fumed over Clinton’s “draft-dodging” during Bosnia, and he ran against two respected veterans, but obviously some portion of them thought that tearing Kerry’s record apart was perfectly okay.

I don’t get where the idea comes from that the president and congress aren’t aware that they’re sending people into a situation where they can die. Just because someone hasn’t been in the military does not mean that person is completely unaware of the consequences of military action.

Cunnigham was just an out-and-out crook which McCain is not (so far). However “honor” was mentioned as one of the qualities mentioned as being a result of having been in service. I really don’t think McCain is all that honorable any more.

Ironically, Colin Powell was squirted out of the administration for being too dovish.The hawks in the Bushy cabinet all share a lack of military experience.Eisenhower was a general and as a president played golf.

Yes, but they are removed from the consequences. How about instead, we just put the lives of the leaders on the line? After declaring war, any of our leaders is eligible for “noble sacrifice”. Should the war be grossly mismanaged or based on obvious lies for personal gain, the members of the military may petition for “noble sacrifice” of any leader involved in the decision to go to war. If a popular majority of military service personnel passes the resolution, that leader must commit ritual suicide or be put to death.

Do you think a president would go to war for profit or any other baloney reason if their life was at stake? Same goes with Sec. of Defense, Veep, congressmen, etc. Doesn’t stop a legitimate war from happening when it needs to, etc. The military servicemen are asked to put their lives on the line when war is declared… shouldn’t our leaders be held to the same standard?

Well, except Rumsfeld, as the OP noted.

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein is not so much about fighting ‘bugs’ as about a system of government, as Brave New World, and 1984 .

I suggest a read just for the veterans only government ideas.

I have to admit, I don’t see the “satire” aspect of Starship Troopers, in light of the fact that a number of nations, including some that are comfortably described as democracies, have compulsory military service.

Wolfowitz’s Jewishness also strikes me as an odd thing to bring up. There’s no aspect of Jewishness (except among the ultra-orthodox) that somehow discourages military service.

Anyway, I don’t see why service should be mandatory, though I can see why it would be helpful and a heroic record might influence my vote. Of course, that’s not likely up here in peacenik Canada.

I can’t think of any of those where military service is required for government office. Even South Korea where all males are required to perform national service does make exemptions (but conscientious objectors are not exempted, thus JWs have prison records here).