Shreddin' in the kitchen

I hate chopping most vegetables with a passion. Impatience and arthritis are a bad combo. So if I have to do more than two for a dish (and when don’t I?) I use the processor. If I can do them into the same workbowl because they get cooked at the same time/rate, so much the better. I can prep for soups and stews in less than 5 minutes instead of 20, and it looks nicer than what I do by hand. Slicing mushrooms thinly is a favorite; I use mushrooms 2x a week in something. Gumbo is so much easier.

I also love the processor for making dips and sauces that I don’t want completely pureed. Fruit salad is fun this way. I get more creative when I don’t dread chopping yet another ingredient.

Again, cleanup is easy. Into the dishwasher, or if it was just some onions or something, all I do is rinse immediately in scalding water. Just don’t ever let the bowl and parts sit in leftover sludge overnight and you’re golden.

I cut myself putting away the mandoline not long ago! :eek:

My food processor, I have to orient the container on the base correctly, and the lid on the container correctly. I cannot tell if I have the container on the base correctly until after I try all three possible orientations of the lid on the container.

Drives me batshit.

And then, I can’t really cut the vegetables to the size I like for each kind. Carrots, peppers, onions - I like them slightly different widths based on how quickly they cook …

I feel I am giving up flexibility for greater inconvenience. But there is nothing better for shredding carrots .

I had written to a company that sells commercial peanut butter makers to those health food stores that set them near their bulk nuts & grains so people can make super-fresh peanut-butter, almond butter, and honey-roasted peanut butter on-site. I told them I had already burned out two blenders trying to make cashew butter and asked if they had smaller models than their $415 storefront unit because I didn’t need anything for quite that volume. Someone responded saying the storefront model was their cheapest and smallest. She also noted that a blender isn’t made to handle the strain of turning nuts into nut-butter, but for home use I might look into a food processor.

So I bought a cheap Black-and-Decker at The Broadway and I’ve never regretted it. The blender could handle making a few ounces of peanut butter; the food processor turns two pounds of almonds into a quart of almond butter (add 8 ounces of coarsely chopped almonds to make it chunky style). I just made cashew butter and almond butter for years.

Then my wife wanted to make a huge soup for a pot-luck dinner and said she hated chopping onions. I suggested she use the food processor and set it up for her. She turned three whole onions into a quart of chopped onions in less than 30 seconds and from then on she was hooked. She loves her soups and has turned all kinds of vegetables - carrots, onions, potatoes, peas, lentils, garbanzo beans, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, whatever – into slices or diced bits or paste to throw into her nutritious lunches-for-the-week. She creates sauces, soups, and stews with that thing and makes stuff up that I could never dream of.

I’ve never done much with the grater wheel. I did try to use it to make little carrot haystacks for tempura once, but the shreds were too short. Long shreds like that require a mandolin or box grater running lengthwise along the vegetable, and the chimney for my food processor won’t allow that approach.

I still rarely use it for anything other than nut butters. Oh, I did throw in some sausage* and vegetables and pack the ground-up mess into won ton skins for baking. My wife loved 'em with marinara sauce and with red spicy salsa, but I prefer my won tons deep-fried and couldn’t appreciate my own creation.

Regardless of what it’s used for, clean-up is pretty simple: Let it soak for a few minutes in hot soapy water, then run a jar brush around the outside and inside perimeters (and all over the chopper(s). Sanitize in the dishwasher.

–G!
*Grinding down a sausage seemed kind of like a backwards process.
Hmmm…I need to start a separate thread…

I have a mini-chopper and it takes five seconds to set up. It’s perfect for cabbage, Brussels sprouts and making fresh salsa.

I forgot about my chopper! I used to use it a lot for nuts, then I just started crumbling them in my hands. Mostly for salads and throwing in waffles.