SI Sportsman of the Year 2013 - discuss

Whilst reducing the Rondembo quotient from 99.99% to say as little as 99% would be a good thing, that’s a forlorn battle for another day.

What interests me is the number of coaches & administrators who seemed to be gathering “nominations”. Is that usual?

No, living 2 hours away from Happy Valley, I’ve never heard that term one time. :rolleyes:

O’Brien was NOT a part of that problem, and neither were the student athletes that remained to suffer the consequences. My suggestion was not in jest either.

You think A-Rod still used? He has never tested postive after the rule was instituted. Only the word of a criminal that he has used since. Its not like there aren’t substances they can’t reliably test for. The rumors for Ortiz are persistent.

Those rumors, the fact that he has been attached to PED use in the past and the fact that he is a part time athlete all work against him. I don’t think they will go with that unless they are looking to stir up controversy like Time does. The award is supposed to be about:

That leaves out anyone with the taint of PED use.

They could go the safe route and name Mariano Rivera. He had a good year and a legendary career.

I could go for that. I was already Time’s Person of the Year once, so SI’s Sportsman of the Year would go well with it.

Big Papi would be my choice, but…

Something tells me thay’ll try to make a political statement and salute Jason Collins.

Even without the PEDs I still don’t see it. He had a phenomenal few games at the plate in the World Series. He had a good season playing in about 130 something games. He only played 6 games in the field. I don’t agree with any part time player getting that kind of accolade.

I think the Boston strong thing has gone way too far, I’m sick of it and I wonder if there will be more of a backlash.

I can see them going with Rivera. Their goal is to sell magazines and a Yankee on the cover will certainly help. Even Yankee haters don’t really hate Rivera.

I don’t think SI will make a political statement by picking Jason Collins, but I could see the Time person of the year having some sort of a gay rights connection with the Supreme Court decision as well as the numerous states allowing same sex marriage this year.

My personal choice would be the Chicago Blackhawks. Their excellent start and great playoff run helped the NHL lockout quickly become a distant memory. I really doubt SI will pick them though, the Blackhawks won’t sell copies in most of the USA.

Raphael Nadal

It was just early this year that in our tennis thread, we were wondering if he’d truly come back to full form. I thought he’d be back in 2014.

He came but, kicked butt, and reached #1 in the rankings again. Amazing and he represents all the qualities of a great sportsman.

There is no other choice I’m aware of, actually.

You’re using A-Rod as a benchmark for your argument? Sorry to disappoint - but I could care less about A-Rod and his suspected PED use. If he hasn’t tested positive under the agreed-upon rules, then I’m going to assume he hasn’t.

No, they’re relatively new and spurious.

Oh, I think I understand the issue now - you like to make completely nonsense claims. I think it’s hilarious that you knock Ortiz as being “part time” for being a DH, then suggest that Mariano Rivera be considered.

1. Papi is not linked to the same thing as A-Rod, hence no suspension for Papi. That comparison doesn’t fly.

2. He played 1B when it mattered in the WS. And he didn’t embarrass himself. I hate that peole hold the DH against players when it’s a rule.

An “impotent NCAA President” can impose “unduly harsh sanctions”? What does “impotent” mean here?

Is Ortiz really a candidate? Seriously?

Nobody said O’Brien or the current players are part of the problem. However, the story broke late last year, the trial occurred this year, the victims came forward, Sandusky was found guilty and the revelation of how the PSU athletic dept. handled the situation are far less than flattering.

Maybe we should expand it out and make the victims of sexual abuse due to their involvement with athletics the “Sports People of the Year” After all, the fact that the issue has been brought out in the open, with PSU being the most visible case, is a very important element in sports and will change a lot of things.

Oh fer crying out loud, really? A college football program that, at the highest levels, knew (or should have known) that something was wrong and never bothered to look deeper. Fuck the Nittany Lions. If the school had any class they would have shut the program down for a year or two themselves and not left it to the NCAA.

If one of FSU’s longtime coaches had done this and Saint Bobby had covered it up, I’d be saying the same thing and I’ve been a 'Nole fan for 42 years. Some things just transcend football and it’s time more football fans learned that.
/hijack
For the OP:
It’s Boston Strong. A collective award for the city of Boston and all its franchises and fans. It’s cheesy, it’s overplayed, it’s so SI.

I need to correct myself. The story broke in 2011 and Sandusky was convicted in 2012. I’ve lost track of time. Probably a lot of that has to do with the fact that lately there seems to be a news story about the appeal every day.

I admonish myself.

OP asked for suggestions. I offered some. You agree, great. If not, great. If any or none are actually considered, who cares. I killed break time at work today. Yay me.

Good call, I was very dubious that he’d ever win the big ones again but there he is!

Another possibility would be Sachin Tendulkar as mentioned upthread, or perhaps Sebastian Vettel after his fourth F1 crown on the trot.

However, looking back on previous winners it is clear that S.I. is fairly insular and USA-centric so there’s no point expecting them to look beyond their borders.

In the same way, major UK sporting awards wouldn’t look at any of the USA names listed here. Even people like Michael Jordan have never really been feted and awarded as international sportsmen here in the UK.

The only reason to disagree is that they did that in 2004. Too soon?

If that isn’t it, I’d bet on Bill O’Brien.

Although they obviously use other factors to decide, its supposed to be about performance. Collins is an unremarkable bench player. They can do what they want but this choice would separate the award completely from on the field performance. I don’t think they ever have done that.

1. Not a benchmark, just the first name that came to mind. I agree with you. I agree with the policy and couldn’t care less when someone doesn’t test positive.

2. Only if you consider 2003 as new.

3. I wasn’t saying it should be Mariano. I was guessing what SI could do. For a last year of a career he did well but not well enough in my opinion to be considered. But they may take into consideration his hall of fame career and his class on and off the field. Its their award, they can stretch the rules if they wish.

1. I wasn’t talking about Ortiz being suspended. I was talking about the perception that he is still using.

2. Sure its a rule. But it will always be considered for things like league MVP. Just like its less likely for a pitcher who plays once every 5 games to win MVP than it is for an every day player. But obviously its not an impossible obstacle to over come.

You still haven’t backed up your “persistent” claim. There’s only a very small contingent out there who believes that the people named in the 2003 report are still juicing, and they’re as reliable as your average birther. I see no reason to believe that SI would refuse to name Ortiz because of them.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24170824

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/atlantabraves/2013/10/31/boston-red-sox-david-ortiz-first-confirmed-steroid-user-since-manny-ramirez-to-win-world-series-mvp/

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-shouldnt-believe-claims-david-ortiz-uses-peds-214400132--mlb.html
I offer nothing up to prove that he is still using. I have no way of knowing that. But to say that the rumors aren’t persistent or only from a small number of people is laughable. Those cites are only the first few that come up while searching “David Ortiz steroids.” I didn’t bother looking past page one. There were only 175,000 results so forgive me for not checking each one. The rumors are wide spread and persistent. People argue both sides of the issue. But the issue exists. SI will take that into account when picking this award. They would be stupid not to.