Signature weapons of religions/gods

In Revelation, however, Jesus upgrades to a two-edged sword.

Didn’t some angel in Genesis have a flaming sword? And the Jewish/Christian/Muslim god knew how to use fire and brimstone. I think sulfur also.

The Archangel Michael was depicted with both a spear and a sword in his battle with Lucifer.

God placed two cherubim with flaming swords east and west of Eden to keep Adam and Eve from returning.

I could never understand what those Egyptian pharaohs and deities are holding in their hands.

A Crook and a Flail. Not, strictly speaking, weapons, although the point of the flail is to inflict a little pain:

^
So they take a lot of stock in agriculture. That’s a civilized was to perceive gods (like the Japanese.) What about that stick Anubis is holding? Is it a simple staff to symbolize his status as a guide to souls in the afterlife?

http://clipartist.info/clipart/pligg/COLOURINGBOOK.ORG/molumen_anubis-999px.png

Norse god Freyr had a sword which fought by itself, a handy thing to possess. Operative word “had”. At the time of Ragnarok he has to go into battle without it, which will not turn out well for him (or the world, I guess,as he goes up against Surt, who follows up offing Freyr by burning everything).

The Hindu goddess Durga carries a weapon in each of her 10 hands and they include the weapons of the other main deities.

But Aziraphale gave his to Adam out of pity, who hocked it and War owns it now :wink: (source :* Good Omens*).

That is called a was (please, no Abbot & Costello :)) and is a symbol of power. It’s basically the same thing as the scepters European kings waved about : no purpose besides telling the world “this guy is the top dog”. Quite a few gods have them.

He also sometimes has a set of scales to do the whole heart/feather thing. Incidentally this was not about the relative weights of souls and feathers (even metaphorically) : the ostrich feather is a symbol of Maat, goddess of truth, morality and justice.

At the end, didn’t the messenger collect the sword along with that other stuff after Pepper defeated War and Adam ultimately/sorta defeated his Dad?

Brimstone = sulphur. Or sulfur. Same thing anyway.

Excuse me, Kobal2, mind making room for me in that bench? I’ve got chocolate!

Thanks for the replies on various mythologies, can’t believe I forgot about the Norse gods!

Yes he did.

Avalokiteshvara carries a white porcelain vase with a stalk of willow.

Hindu Tantric deities are invariably heavily armed. Kali and Tara, for example, prefer the scimitar. But the truly ultimate signature weapon has to be the benevolent Creator Brahma’s brahmastra. Invincible and utterly destructive, it was truly the weapon of last resort.

Forgot in the Mahabaratta (sp?) but who was licensed to wield the Brama Astra?

Drona, Karna, Arjuna and Kripa all had the capability to invoke and revoke the brahmastra at will. Ashwattama had the ability to invoke but not revoke it.