Silly but logical questions about comic characters

His internal musculature is clearly different from yours and mine. He’s not the only one. When Angel’s wings were amputated a zillion years back, the surgeons noted that, even apart from his avian parts, his internal anatomy was not what they expected.

In one 1960s story, red kryptonite made his hair and nails grow. He removed them without resorting to a Red Sun – he had Supergirl and Krypto combine their heat vision to shave him and cut his nails (His own heat vision alone couldn’t do the nails). This brings up thoughts:

1.) So his hair and nails weren’t completely invulnerable? Howcum he didn’t go bald every time he flew through a sun or something?

2.) Even if he were Super (and super-intelligent), there’s no way I’d let my dog cut my hair.

3.) I wouldn’t want my SuperDog to know he had this ability. What if he got pissed at me me and got together with Streaky the SuperCat or Beppo the SuperMonkey and carved loutish things into my hair? (“Clark, are you wearing a wig?” “Of course not, Lois.”)

Why doesn’t Batman permanently maim some of the more murderous members of his rogues gallery, namely The Joker? I get that in his modern incarnation he never kills, but The Joker et. al. have racked up body counts into the thousands. You’d think with his mad martial arts skillz that Batzy could shatter a few spines, gouge out a few eyes, and otherwise render them unable to do any more supervillaining without actually taking their lives.

Not that common – I’ve seen all the Fleischer Superman cartoons, and out of 18 he only changes in a phone booth about three times. Usually he goes into a room or behind some stuff.
And it’s not your standard 1960s-type phone booth, with clear glass walls. When he’s changed in a phone booth it’s been a roomy Art Deco one with frosted glass walls, so no one can see what he’s doing (except by the silhouette). They’d notice that Clatrk Kent went in and Superman came out, but you always see him looking shiftily about to be sure he’s unobserved.

In the 1950s TV show he never changed in a phone booth – he usually ducked into the janitor’s closet, or something.

I honestly think he has an agreement with Gordon that he won’t do anything that extreme. Though perhaps an unspoken one, but nonetheless one they both agree is in effect.

I hate to even answer this one, but… Hypnotism. No, seriously, super-hypnotism. I owned the issue where it was explained; even Supes looked at himself in the mirror and said, “When you see a person you know with glasses, you say ‘hey, you got glasses!’ You don’t suddenly not recognize them!”
He was fighting against a villain that -also- had ‘super-hypnosis’ and realized his glasses were some-sort of weird focusing for his own powers-o-suggestion. Lame, but there you are.

RE: Aquaman

He’s not as unimpressive as all that. Physically, he far outclasses a normal human in terms of strength and durability. He’s, by most accounts, a pretty skilled combatant. I think of him as serving as a SEAL for the JLA.

He would, but he does not allow himself to. He recognizes how close to the line he already works, and if he allowed himself to give in to his impulses he knows he would be as evil as those he is protecting Gotham from.

Shortpacked! on Batman’s costume. He’s also deconstructed Aquaman in the past, but I can’t find it easily.

I’m not sure that putting the likes of The Joker and Szaz permanently out of action could be described as “evil.” Especially when we have undeniable evidence that Arkham can neither treat them nor effectively incarcerate them.

Well, in any case, this article about Superman and phone booths cites the same Fleischer toon I did as a major source of the meme.

No, the cartoon is undoubtedly where the meme comes from (unless it was used earlier in the radio show – but the cartoons predate that 1942 comic strip). I’m just saying it wasn’t “common” – it was used three times that I’ve counted.

And none of the pictures on that page show the nifty Art Deco phone booth I refer to.

Nicely said! (especially the rack part) :D:D

Three outta eighteen ain’t “common” enough for ya? What, you some kinda elitist? Heck, 3/18 equals 1/6 which is the odds of getting a one on a die-roll. Getting a one on a die roll ain’t a common result?

Criminy-sakes-a’goshen!

I made a similar observation about the Justice League cartoon a while back:

One element I’ve noticed and appreciate is the age-appropriate interruption, wherein a character who is just on the verge of saying something risqué gets cut off. Us older types (i.e. 13+) can chuckle at how close the 'toon gets to something naughty. Naturally, I’d prefer they just write the damn show for adults, but what you gonna do?

Examples:

Felix Faust: Tala, you’ve come a long way since my untimely demise but the student, however gifted, still has much to learn from the teacher.
Tala: [while examining recently-mixed counter-potion] Maybe I wouldn’t, if we had spent more time on curriculum and less time - [potion prematurely explodes]

Hermes: Here it is. [hands Wonder Woman a scroll]
Wonder Woman: [reading] “For a good time, call Podenimus-”
Hermes: Whoa-oa-hey [takes scroll back]. Wrong scroll. [slyly] I think I got a shot. It’s her cell number. [looks for correct scroll] Here we go. “By decree of Zeus, father of Olympus, it is so ordered [smirk] Diana of Themiscyra will travel to Tartarus and set right that which has been disturbed.”
Wonder Woman: He’s telling me to go to -
Hermes: Basically.

[WW and Shayera are sent to a frozen wasteland]
Shayera: Aren’t you cold in that outfit?
WW: Not really.
S: Of course not. The princess doesn’t get cold. The princess doesn’t even sweat in the fire-pits of Tartarus.
WW: I do too sweat!
S: Oh, please. You glow. I wouldn’t be surprised if you never have to - [distant screaming distracts them]

I guess it would have to be. I’ve never seen specific measurements anyplace, but just eyeballing it, when I watched the X-Men movies I couldn’t help thinking the claws were longer than his forearms.

Yeah. It’s interesting to debate this, and of course if Batman kills everybody the writers are going to run out of ideas, but in the end, his moral code makes him complicit with the villains he is trying to stop and it makes him less of a protector to Gotham. He presumably has the ability to stop the Joker and company and chooses not to.
On the other hand I suppose you could argue it’s a Mutually Assured Destruction situation: if he kills one of them, all the rest are all going to come after him, and even Batman is probably not equipped to handle that. I might be satisfied with that explantion.

I remember a quality double entendre some time ago about The Flash not being able to get a date because he’s the fastest man on earth, wink wink. I don’t think they cut that one off.

He’s more of a SEAL commander.

This is the DC Universe, remember. Killing them isn’t going to keep them out of action for any length of time either.

I specifically said he wouldn’t kill them. Beating them into a vegetative coma, or leaving them as blind quadriplegics, or doing an old fashioned icepick lobotomy are all things within Batboy’s capabilities. Any of those would eliminate said villains as threats without violating Brucey’s fetish about not killing.

Yeah, tell me about it…if you want to get really cynical about it, all he’s doing is keeping the situations juuuust contained enough to keep the government from sending the National Guard (or Delta Force) in, shooting. Gotta keep the plebes out of the affairs of nobles, after all.

Maybe that explains why he won’t at least screw up the Joker’s arm tendons or break his hips or give him a dose of MPTP, or something, too…it would take away some of the challenge. :eek: