Silly but logical questions about comic characters

But do you really think that Batman would fight Superman over the right to permanently cripple criminals?

If superheroes actually killed people, they’d be called graphic novels, not comic books/soap operas. Why keep coming up with memorable and creative villians and heroes when you can keep resurrecting and escaping the old ones?

There is that.

A grown man who chooses to dress up as a flying mammal and stalk the night looking to beat up a psychopathic clown is not likely be be the most rational person in town.

See the Reed Richards is Useless trope page. Nitpick though: Richards didn’t invent a super-heat resistant substance to make Johnny Storm’s costume out of (well he probably could but never mind). What he invented was “unstable molecules”, a substance that apparently synchs at the quantum level with whatever-it-is that makes metahumans’ powers possible. So Reed’s suit stretches with him, Sue’s costume turns invisible with her, and Johnny’s suit somehow resists burning up for whatever reason his own skin and flesh do.

And if you put it on a normal human like a firefighter, it would ignite, just like we do.

“What happens when you put Johnny Storm’s costume on a frog?”

I have to disagree. In the 2099 universe. Miguel Ohara (Spiderman 2099) makes his super outfit from an Unstable Molecule fabric Day Of The Dead costume. He remarks that UM fabric is very expensive- presumably more so than current firefighter gear. He also mentions how hard it is to damage or destroy.

Partly correct. Galactus did come over with a ship which he then made bigger and more badass as he devoured more worlds and tech. Eventually it got to such a size that planets now orbit it. I’ve yet to find out if he put the worlds there intentionally or if they came about on their own and he just didn’t care. The real world answer is that it looks badass so that is why it was drawn that way.

Permission error
**From Marvel DatabaseYou do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reasons:

You must be a registered user and logged in to edit a page.
Marvel Database has restricted the ability to create new pages. You can go back and edit an existing page, or log in or create an account.
Retrieved from “Worldship (Taa II) | Marvel Database | Fandom(Taa_II”**

Do you have a current picture that isn’t protected? I’m not signing up anywhere just to look at a picture.

There was just a typo in the link (one close-parenthesis got left off)—here ya go.

So…how many of the Punisher’s enemies have stuck around in continuity long enough to get in three movies, and every single television series that Frank appeared in?

I think I prefer a different definition of “better.”

From the Marvel.com “Wolverine” character bio:

“Wolverine’s skeleton includes six retractable one-foot long bone claws, three in each arm, that are housed beneath the skin and muscle of his forearms. Wolverine can, at will, release these slightly curved claws through his skin beneath the knuckles on each hand. The skin between the knuckles tears and bleeds, but the blood loss is quickly halted by his healing factor. Wolverine can unsheathe any number of his claws at once, although he must keep his wrists straight at the moment his claws shoot from his forearms into his hands. When unsheathed, the claws are fully within his hands, and thus Wolverine can still bend his wrists. The claws are naturally sharp and tougher than that of normal human bone structure, allowing Wolverine to cut through most types of flesh and natural materials.”

One FOOT claws, huh? Well, that’s quite impressive considering that I’m a full foot taller than Wolverine, with ‘long monkey arms’, and my forearms from elbow to wrist are just under 12 inches long.

I’ve often wondered why his claws don’t just pop off, or slap backward against his forearm when he cuts anything. He’s not invulnerable, and when his claws are unsheathed they’re not really attached to anything but the muscles that unsheathed them. :dubious:

And of course, what’s a problem with his current bone claws becomes an even worse problem when they were adamantium. Yes, in that period, his bones were also adamantium-laced, but his skin wasn’t. His muscles weren’t. His veins and arteries weren’t. He may have mutant healing factor, but when those hardest-metal-ever claws sever an artery in his forearm, he doesn’t have a lot of time to do that healing thing, especially when the claws are still IN THERE.

Unless something’s changed in the last few months, Wolverine’s claws are adamantium-coated again. Anyway, as I wrote upthread, clearly Logan’s internal anatomy is quite differnt from normal so as to accommodate his claws.

As it happens there is some stuff on point. It seems rain and the windshield both cut down on his radarsense. Also, he can’t tell what a light shows.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/10born-6.jpg

How does Wolverine get through the metal detectors at the airport? I understand that many passengers have metal hips or other implants, but an entire skeleton? That would probably set something off.

Also, how do globe-trotting superheroes get around visa requirements?

That’s long since explained. He has papers showing him as a Canadian army vet (true) who has extensive metal replacements in his skeleton (true but misleading) due to an accident (downright lie).

Pre-Crisis, Superman was officially a citizen of every nation in the UN. Which makes no sense, of course, but most likely it just meant he had an automatic visa for any country that was suffering earthquakes or volcanoes or alien invasions or whatnot.

Despite the last word in their name, which frankly they’d be wise to abandon, the Justice League of America tends to be a UN-sponsored organization, and doubtless has a similar deal. Hal Jordan, working outside the auspices of the JLA, has had to deal with crap.

I can recall the Avengers having trouble on this issue.

When Iron Man globe-trots it tends to be on behalf of Stark International or Enterprises or Industries or whatever the hell it is; I assume his lawyers have smoothed the way for him.

I’m sure Thor does not sweat borders. When local authorities complain, he points out that he is Thor and they fall in line.

Re: Wolvie

Ah, that makes sense. Although I remember him having a bad relationship with the Canadian government in the past (Chasen telling him he’d “lock him up” in Giant-Size X-Men #1, sending Alpha Flight to kidnap him back to Canada). Seems as though it’s been resolved since then (I haven’t had a chance to read comics in a while, unfortunately).

Re: visas

I’m sure Thor especially doesn’t have trouble crossing Scandinavian borders.
Another question: why doesn’t Kabuki (of the David Mack Image comic) just get plastic surgery to deal with the scars on her face?

They actually were Justice League International for a while, then (IIRC) just The Justice League. Don’t know when they switched back.

I guess the sanction of the Guardians doesn’t count for much here on provincial old Earth.

With the condition of the world’s oceans and fish getting worse, Aquaman is one sorry ‘superhero’. His kingdom and subjects are getting decimated.

Who’s a more useless ‘superhero’ than Ant-man? (didn’t he also have the power to become a giant, or was that someone else?). I remember his stories in The Mighty Thor comic book and all I could think is what a boring dweeb. Who looked like an asshole riding on an ANT.

It always bugs me when there’s a big fight in the middle of the city between, say, the Fantastic Four and some villain. Cars get squashed. Buildings get knocked over. Streets get ripped up. Massive mayhem and destruction. Who pays for the repairs? Insurance companies? The Fantastic Four? I think if a villain came along now and pushed the Statue of Liberty off its pedestal, it would just lie there until Charlton Heston came riding on a horse along the beach…

And whatever happened to Sue Storm’s/Reed Richard’s kid? I stopped reading about the time she was pregnant and I’ve only read he was sent into, I dunno, alternate universes?