Similar Sounding Songs

Yeah, there’s a similar arpeggIated, minor chords, midtempo vibe going on, but I don’t detect matching chord patterns, nor melodies.

(The closest similarity might be Reaper’s incessant guitar riff with Driver’s end-of-chorus guitar motif at “still a ways away”).

I enjoyed listening to both songs, though!

Yeah, the riffs are similar, that’s why “Driver 8” always reminds me of “The Reaper”. As I said, not a rip-off, but inspired (and NO cowbell on “Driver 8” :wink:).

Hah!!

By no means identical-sounding but certainly reminiscent, with Paul’s scat in “Mother Nature’s Son” and the whistling in Peter Gabriel’s “Games Without Frontiers”.

I hear similar songs all the time. Newer music pulls from 70s and 80s music, which in turn pulls from older music.
Lady Gaga “Born this Way”:

sounds like Madonna “Express Yourself”:

AND
The Weekend “Blinding Lights”:

sounds like A-Ha “Take on Me”:

Bowie’s Sound and Vision sounds a little like Zepp’s D’yer Mak’er:

Halo and Already Gone, controversy

Roar and Brave, plagiarism allegations

Today I heard Hootie and the Blowfish “I Only Wanna Be With You” for the first time in ages. Before I identified the song I thought the opening rhythm guitar sounded like “Tangled Up In Blue.”
Then I realized there’s actually a line that goes, “I’m tangled up in blue, I only wanna be with you.” That had to have been on purpose, right?

Dylan, or his label, may have threatened legal action on that one. I think it’s clearly an homage.

The topic of Dylan and plagiarism has come up many times through the years[…] There are also reports that Dylan reached an out-of-court settlement in 1995 with Hootie & the Blowfish over the band’s hit song “Only Wanna Be With You.” Dylan reportedly claimed frontman Darius Rucker borrowed some of his lyrics in the track.

~Max

“One verse of the song describes “[putting] on a little Dylan”. The verse then references songs on Bob Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks, quoting extensively from “Idiot Wind”. The song then mentions “Tangled Up in Blue”.[3] According to Rucker, Dylan’s management were aware of the lyrics and had no problem with them; however, when the song became a hit, they objected.[4] He told Rolling Stone that “it never got to the point where we were sued… When we first did that song we sent it to the publishing company and everything was fine. We played it for years and had a really big hit with it. Then they wanted some money, and they got it.”[5] VH1 reported that Dylan received an out-of-court settlement in 1995 for $350,000.[3]

“Over the Rainbow”
Artist MGM Studio Orchestra ft. Judy Garland
Film The Wizard of Oz, 1939
Album The Wizard of Oz, 1956
“Sorry Doesn’t Always Make It Right”
Artist Diana Ross
Album Ross, 1978

~Max

Starting at 1:40:

Starting at 0:14:

Led Zeppelin’s “Achilles Last Stand” was basically cut down by the band, Heart, and made into “Barracuda”. Even the changes are so similar. Even the drum fills are all exact.

FWIW, Nancy Wilson claims “This Flight Tonight” by Nazareth as the inspiration for the riff (though I’m sure it’s a mix of various influences):

She said she lied about this, and months ago, admitted it was Zeppelin. There’s video of her saying it. I saw it on YouTube before.

I personally can’t help but be put in the mind of “Bonanza” when I hear the gallop …

​​ Danny Wilson - Mary’s Prayer - YouTube
​​ Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Pics…or it didn’t happen. :sunglasses: