Simple ways to keep cats away

I disagree, I had relatively the same problem and bought a huge black lab. Didn’t have the problem any longer. Just get a very territorial dog and you’ll be alright.

I find that hard to believe.
I’ve seen a cat die from that and it is particularly horrible.

I think this is reasonable. When I move to a new area, I introduce my cats to all of my neighbors, explain that they are all spayed and fully vaccinated, and also let them know that all of my cats have been pre-emptively placed on a waiting list at a nearby no-kill shelter in case that one may cause a problem.

IMO, that is ample enough time to find alternative housing for an animal until the no-kill shelter has an opening, or until a resolution is found.

I understand, although it makes me flinch at the idea that perhaps one of my cats would not get a second chance. However, that is a reality that I accepted before I decided to turn my house-cats out into the big, bad world.

Any animal, when allowed to run free, is exposed to an enormity of risks. Disgruntled neighbors are the least of the dangers.

It IS hard to believe!! That’s why, when one of the ferals bit my husband, I called the city police to ask what I should do.

In fact, my rural area has only one, disgruntled county animal control officer. The city, however, has one as well (unfortunately very few people know this.) HE has offered to check my live trap each morning, collect any animal I’ve caught, and return my trap by afternooon.

All cats are taken to the next county where there are no-kill openings available exclusively to animal control finds

Not to mention the innocent pets and children that would be at risk. I have four rescue / rehab cats, a recued dog, and a two year old little boy that play and live on my property.

The greatest regret of my husbands life was when he followed that “man”'s advice and drowned a feral cat. Only a week later we found out that we could find them a safe place to live.

sad. sad. sad.

sorry to keep posting, but I had one more thing to say, in closing:

NEVER dispose of a cat yourself. It is not legal, regardless of what anyone may tell you. The ONLY legal way to dispose of a cat is to let the city/county/state/etc collect an animal you have caught in a live trap … or to have a vet euthanize it.

There are plenty of solutions, and while I don’t disagree with someone’s killing an animal that is ruining their income – it is still illegal, and not worth the guilt and/or penalties.

Find an animal control officer who will do the right thing.

Every dog I’ve ever owned would chase rodents, given the chance. Are you really saying your lab chases cats but never chases chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, mice, etc.?

Well, we all know that any human with testosterone is violent, cruel, and evil, right? :rolleyes: I think August West explained it perfectly well. If your pet is killing his pets, does it make more sense for him to say “wait here, kitty, I’m going to run to the store and buy a trap while you kill a few more of my birds,” or to deal with the problem immediately? I don’t advocate violence as a general solution, and I’ve never killed someone’s pet, but if I saw a dog killing off my chickens or goats, I’d do whatever it took to make the dog stop, up to and including killing it.

You shouldn’t make blanket statements like that. Perhaps where you live it’s true, but that’s definitely not the case across the U.S. or around the world. Around here, for example, you have the right to shoot and kill any animal that kills your pets or livestock or threatens your family. Where I used to live in Colorado, the Sheriff actually offered a bounty for bodies of dogs if you could prove they were killing livestock or pets. I had friends with livestock who kept a gun and camera together so they could snap a picture of a dog chasing their animals, shoot the dog, and collect the money from the Sheriff’s office.

You mean I can kill that Poodle that comes over here to crap in my yard?
By gum, I’m taking the kids over to Walmart’s tonight and buying them each a box of #3 buck!

.17 HMR. No cat has ever required two doses.

Somehow I doubt that poodlepoop is killing your livestock or pets. Although if we combine that term with the new DoperBlooper ™ from this thread, we have an awesome band name: PuppyGod and the PoodlePoopers.

Without-a-doubt. But I won’t waste good ammo on cats. The .22 LR is more than adequate for cat control, and it’s only 2 cents per round.

You’re right. I wasn’t thinking of your situation when I posted. I was thinking of nuisance cats rather than an animal that threatened someone’s livestock or pets.

If need be, I’d kill anything that threatened one of my animals … livestock, pet, or anything else. And as far as I know, that is a perfectly legal action.

Yeah man, but the colors! The colors! It’s worth the 20 cents a pop.

I’m pulling for HTML anchor tags, and I’ve got four cats myself.
:smiley:

Citrus. They detest it. I’m going to try to use it to keep them away from the windows. I have this little problem…

I think you mean “more important to me than anyone’s pet”.

Now, you’re probably not going to believe this, but here’s how people keep cats from leaving prints on their cars at night. Lord only knows why it works, but I’ve seen it be effective on at least two separate occasions:

Get a few empty plastic gallon milk jugs. Fill them with water. Place them where the cats enter your property (I see people put them near their cars, so I’m guessing about placement to keep them out of your yard entirely.) Perhaps 3-4 jugs along the common border with wherever they’re coming from.

the cats will stay away. At least that’s what I’ve seen. At her old apartment, my wife would find prints on her car, put out a jug, and the prints would stop, although new prints could still be seen on other cars the cats frequented that weren’t near my wife’s.

Some people say the cats don’t like the way the jugs look at night, soem people say the patterns the light makes through the water freaks them out, but it seems to be effective, at least at night.