Simpsons question: Why did Herb go bankrupt?

He went bankrupt because it was funny. It’s as simple as that.

Why hasn’t somebody just killed Mr Burns?
With all the cops incompetent and corrupt, why isn’t Springfield completely overrun with crime?
With his extensive criminal record, why is Krusty allowed near kids?
If Frink is so brilliant, why hasn’t he become wealthy?
Why does every single character’s backstory contradict itself in some way?

Now, if you’ll excuse me, the Simpsons is on. Marge has done a dirty calendar, but Homer is too tired to get his yang up.

We like Roy!

Earlier in that episode, Herb has a meeting with executives and designers (one of whom pitches a new model called the Persephone) and I recall Herb saying something along the lines of “This is why we’re getting killed in the marketplace.” I figure Powell Motors was in trouble long before Homer came along, and Herb may have mortgaged his mansion to try to keep the company afloat. Notice also that he’s so happy to have relatives that he spends a lot of time with Marge and the kids, neglecting problems at the company even when his own engineers call him to report that Homer’s designs are unworkable.

Of course, in the real world, CEOs of failed companies get golden parachutes and jobs elsewhere.

Herb couldn’t even afford an unlisted phone number :slight_smile:

To be fair, his shares in Confederate Slaveholder weren’t doing too well either.

Keep in mind Herb also inherited the dreaded “Simpson Gene”.

I demand an explanation of why no one on The Simpsons has ever used a baby translator except in that one episode.

The baby translator causes cancer.

But it comes with a free Frogurt.

If I were going to point out something strange from a Herb episode it would definitely be this disappearance. Even when we keep in mind that The Simpsons resets itself at the start of every episode, that reset just means things go back to normal. Events of past episodes still happened (Maude stays dead, Homer makes many references to past adventures). The whole show (and world) would have changed had the baby translator stayed on, so I totally and completely understand why it never appeared again, but it’s one of those things that you realise only when you think about it all a little too hard.

Does the topping contain potassium benzoate?

No, but it is cursed.

it has been shown being stored.

Love to see Apu & Mrs. Apu use the baby translator on their brood just as a throwaway gag sometime. :slight_smile:

That’s good!

The frogurt is also cursed

That’s bad.

Can I go now?

Is the bankruptcy of the Powell Motor Company any more unbelievable than the bankruptcy of the DeLorean Motor Company (for instance)?

If only Powell had gotten someone like Krusty to endorse the car.

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smells like a steak and seats thirty-five…

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It’s the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero!
[Krusty:] Hey Hey